Sign in to follow this  
mossgrove

Bullying

We believe our eldest son (7, AS) is being bullied in school.

One other parent has recently complained about bullying by the same group of children, but the school appear to be sticking to the line that there is no bullying at the school.

Are there any rules/guidelines that have to be followed about how complaints of bullying should be dealt with?

Simon

Simon,

Sorry to hear you are having this problem.

There is a a booklet on Tackling Bullying on the ACE website, you can download it for �1. If you can't download the booklet I can give you some of the advice from it, but as it's 11 pages it wouldn't be comprehensive advice.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice/MyChild/Ta...ngBullying.html

This is the link to Bullying online.

http://www.bullying.co.uk/

These are links to topics on the forum which cover bullying

The never ending battle with school!!!!

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...st=0entry1478

bullying

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...st=0entry5971

The school will have an anti-bullying policy which will describe what they class as bullying and what they will do about it. Ask at the school office for a copy.

Karen

but the school appear to be sticking to the line that there is no bullying at the school.

If I had had a � for every time I was told that :whistle:

I thought the UK had a total 'zero tolerance' on bullieing ?

I do hope you can resolve this

Good luck

Hi

Just wondered if and how you managed to resolve this.

My daughter has been bullied by different children at different times over the last 3 years. She now is at a stage of not being able to cope any more. She has one more year to go at the primary school before moving to secondary school and won't be going to the same school as the bullies.

At various times over these 3 years, we have had informal meetings with the headteacher. I know my daughter is no angel and will retaliate when provoked but the school have made no complaints to me about my daughter bullying others.

Last week, my daughter was told by the headteacher that all the other children are doing is teasing and that she is not to report any incidents unless they are serious and that she did not want us (parents) going in to the school to discuss this. :angry:

Her father and I have made a written formal complaint but we have been told by the governors that we have to go to stage 2 of the complaints procedure as there hands are tied if we dont, but the Chairwoman understood our predicament.

We are having a meeting with the headteacher on Thursday to make a formal complaint about the headteacher and her failure in her duty of care for our daughter. We are also complaining that the school has failed to accept our daughters diagnosis. :wallbash:

I cannot see this being resolved at this stage as she is hardly likely to admit what she said.

Has anyone any suggestion on how to handle the meeting, so that we remain in charge? I don't like confrontations at the best of times, but I am want us to be in control of the meeting, not the school.

12indians

Edited by 12indians

we've had to threaten to take Com's school to court over bullying but it was during a complete renegotiation of provision so there was all sorts of other stuff happening at the same time

made the threat about a month ago now

bullying has been reduced from 3+incidents most days to one a week in the last 3 weeks :thumbs:

the boys involved are no longer allowed to approach Com even to be nice to him - they kept telling staff that they were trying to help him :angry:

(this is high school though so they do not have to be in the classroom together all the time like in primary)

well before the meeting ring parent partnership and ask for support with the bullying - they should give you an independent parental supporter who should attend meetings and give you advice.

They may be inexperienced with bullying but you are in disagreement with the school and your child does have special needs so even if they can only act as moral support and take minutes at meetings they can be a very useful third party.

NAS and Ipsea are very good for advice too.

Zemanski

A case of verbal bullying at the Junior school was addressed much as you say - the child was moved to another school by the parent in the end, but this led to the anti-bullying policy being rewritten to state that bullying could also be verbal.

Ask for a copy of the school's anti-bullying policy.

Karen

12indians....we can relate to that what happened to your daughter.

Nick our 9 year old gets bullied.

We reported this firstly to headteacher, but she was only the acting headteacher that time they have a new one right now...

After incident after incident we just went into school straight away and went to the teacher as well.....we never got any complaint about our son is bullying other kids...he cant really cope anymore, he is very reluctant to go to school and counts the days till the summer holidays. He gets picked on because one of the boys had a look in the bag where his dirty pants were (soiling accident) then because he gets praise at school for his good results. We just moved to the UK in November and English is his second language and he can talk in German and Luxembourgian, but in no language properly. We await help for that as well....

So we are about to write to the governors if the bullying doesnt stop. Of course Nick gets the blame if he is fighting back, which he mostly does verbal...but he anyway doesnt stand a chance...

Hi

The incident that I originally posted about was resolved by a letter to the school demanding they take action.

Sadly, the school seem to be in denial still. One child (NT) was fine when dropped off in the morning and had a black eye when picjked up in the afternoon and was met with "it couln't have happened in school" when she complained.

Many parents are voting with thir feet, the child in question is now at another school, our two start at special school in September and we know of 8 other children who will be going to other mainstream schhols after the summer.

Quite why the school are adopting this policy of denail is baffling as they are running into severe problems due to falling rolls and their approach to bullying is making things worse.

Simon