Sign in to follow this  
mel

now what do i do??

Hi again. I posted a bit back about DS troubles at school (thanks everyone for your help on that one) but he is still getting progressively worse. I cant get him statemented til he has been put on band 2 funding and the head wont do that til he has a full diagnosis. ( we are about 2/3 through this...he has been unofficially diagnosed with autism, we just have one more psych to see, not til next year tho)

since the end of half term i have really battled getting him to school. once there he is fine with 1-2-1 but as soon as he goes back to classroom he kicks off with a vengeance. when i was picking him up for lunch (he wont eat in school) the senco said that he was terrible today. he was hitting other children, refusing to do his work and he even threatened his teacher with a ruler. He is only 7, what is he gonna be like in a few years??

Trouble is, i feel useless. i took him back about half an hour ago and im just sat here in tears wishing i could do something for him. I have absolutely no idea what to do or where to go for help and advice (apart from here of course).

anyone got any ideas??

Hi mel. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I think you are doing all you can unless anyone has an idea.The one thing that strikes me is if he is making life so difficult for staff at school perhaps it will act as a push for the HT to get a Statement sorted.Perhaps the senco should talk to HT rather than you. :wallbash::wallbash:

Just spoke to his teacher. She claims that his only problem is that he is not willing to conform and obey the rules. she got a bit stuck for words when i pointed out that he behaves perfectly well in 1-2-1. i wonder if its not another case of lets brush it under the carpet and blame the parent. there seems to be a lot of that about. I have made yet another appt to see the head. im not feeling sorry fer meself now. im ******* angry. his clinical psych said he has asd. the ados assesment psych says he has asd. we cant get an official dx until communications says its asd but the school think he is just a badly behaved little boy. im beginning to wonder why the school wont accept his obvious problems and deal with them.

Hi Mel >:D<<'> ,

I'm not sure about the band 2 funding :unsure: , but you could give IPSEA a ring and ask them if you have been given the correct information regarding when a statutory assessment can be applied for. Having a diagnosis shouldn't make a difference as to when an application is made. Depending on what IPSEA tell you, you could always apply for the assessment yourself, that way you will be informed every step of the way.

Whatever you do, start keeping a diary of events ie. what the SENCO told you today. It will come in handy if the school insist later on that your son doesn't need the extra support.

Annie

xx

I think you are being told a load of rubbish re funding. What level of need has your son been placed on school action or school action plus? aS professionals are involved in his care ie medics he should be on school action plus and the school should be having professional input from asd team - Have they even asked for this to happen?

Does he have an iep?

Your problem is that leas are reluctant to issue statements unless a school can show thye have tried everything they can in the meantime , so if a school drags their heels its the child who suffers not the school.I think you need to be keeping a record of what is going on, meeting the head is good but you need to put your concerns in writing and get anwsers then follow up the agreements in writing so they cant be forgotten,

Ask about the schools policies on disability, behaviour, complaints and disability equality duty show them you are not prepared to be walked all over as the years fly and secondary school will be here before you know it

Hi Mel,

Sorry to hear that the school situation has got worse. :wacko:

I've just looked back at your previous thread where you describe the school opposition to statementing your son. You mentioned there that he's on SA+.

It sounds as though the school are finding any excuse they can to stall the statementing process, and may continue to do so, even after the long awaited dx comes through.

The head is on another planet - there is nothing in law to say that a child must have a particular dx, or be on a specific band of support before the statementing process begins - that argument would never hold water at tribunal. The only legal criteria for statementing is that the school is unable to provide the support your son needs now without extra funding from the LEA. If you are being told anything else you are being misled.

There is nothing to stop you from applying for the statutory assessment yourself and continuing to gather your evidence in the meantime that your son is having difficulties and that the school has tried and failed to address them. Starting the official process will put a bit of pressure on the head, knowing that sooner or later she will have to give a detailed account of the support the school has given, and that may work in your favour.

Stay strong >:D<<'>

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Hi Mel.Having read Kathryn's last post I thought I would offer some encouragement.

We were able to obtain a Statutary Assessment and significant support.We asked for the Assessment ourselves.Ben had had very little intervention and did not have a DX.The Dx [DCD with Social Communication Difficulties -he still does not have AS Dx but that has not stopped him having suport]was obtained during the assessment.

Now I understand your situation I agree completely with Kathryn.Unless the COP has changed and nobody has told us :rolleyes::rolleyes: the HT is attempting to take you for a ride. :wallbash: Sometimes people are unaware of the true position-or it is convenient to give that impression.Karen.

ty ty for your advice, i have given IPSEA a ring and im waiting for them to call me back. this morning the senco slipped up, apparently they have had his IEP review without even inviting me. (DS was off school the other week cos he had an operation) they claimed that they thought i would be too busy to attend!! She also implied that there were more deserving children than DS who needed their time more. I said "can i have that in writing please" she backpedalled swiftly lol.

There is a flat spot in the middle of my head where i have been bashing it against the wall lol. :wallbash: i swear im gonna burst a blood vessel if this carries on.