Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Would you go along with this?

I'm interested to what you think of this:

For those who don't know me, Lucy got a diagnosis of AS 3 years ago. Her older brother is just like her, but wasn't assessed until he was nearly 14 and CAMHS said he doesn't have it. (I think he would have got the diagnosis if he's been assessed at Lucy's age)

While we were wating for the diagnosis, Tom identified with the AS label. It explained a lot for him and I think he was taken aback when they said no.

Lately he has been going through some emotional stuff I won't go into, but he says his friend has a medical alert bracelet for diabetes and wants one saying he has mental health problems! This is because he can't explain his thinking any other way.

CAMHS say they think he is trying to forge some id for himself and suggested that if he find the label useful to use it, even though he doesn't have the 'points' for a formal diagnosis.

He wants his teachers to know about this.

i've explained the bracelet is for emergencies where someone might need medication, which he doesn't use and he seems disappointed. Perhaps he just wants to feel special and have a bracelet to confirm it?

What would you do?

He obviously feels a need to talk about this so perhaps instead of an alert bracelet you could get him an "autism awareness" bracelet - I got one for Martin when he was first diagnosed (it was during the charity bracelet fad) and he was then able to talk to people about his AS and the bracelet helped as a conversation piece.

This way he could maybe talk about his sister's diagnosis and how he thinks he's got it too but his isn't as obvious. I know when Martin was first dx'd the whole family began to see aspieness within themselves too and I do believe that one of my other kids (he's 14) has AS too but it wouldn't be dx'd now. I'm pretty certain I'm AS but I don't see the need for a dx at my age.

As you say alert bracelets are more for medical emergencies like diabetes, epilepsy etc.