pearl

Taekwondo Trauma!

Got a phone call tonight from JP's taekwondo teacher saying he'd been in an accident. For one awful moment, in my confusion, I thought he meant a CAR accident *panics* but no, he'd been sparring & dislocated his thumb.

So off he & Mr pearl went to Casualty, oh they'll just pop it back, thinks I. He came home 3 hours later with fingertips to elbow encased in plaster, on for a week! Thankfully his left arm & he's right handed.

He was given painkillers & gas & air, & the doctor said she wished all her patients made as little fuss as he did!

My brave ickle soldier :wub:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Dangerous thing, physical exercise. I prefer to give it a miss, except Tai Chi, where if you are going to hurt yourself it's in sloooowwww mmmoootttiiiooonnn so you can stop in time.

Are you going to be able to restrain yourself from excess fussing and cutting his food up into shapes?

My son broke his elbow last summer....ooouuuchhhhh

He made less fuss over this than a little scratch. He was amazed at the special camera that could take pictures of his bones....he now knows it is an xray, but the simple terms helped with this ordeal. The nurses were fab, he was asking questions all the time about what they were doing to him and what it was for. and then when he could chose which cast he was overjoyed. I never thought breaking an elbow could give him so much pleasure! :lol:

Of course i then went on to do everything for him, until 1 day i went in the lounge and there he was controller in his hand planying on the playstation!! Could not beleive how niave i had been....needless to say i stopped overdoing it on the helping with everything!

Thanks all!

Bard, I'm with you on the physical exercise thing. I never run when I can walk, never walk when I can stand still, never stand when I can sit, never sit when I can lie down.... you get the picture. I tried Tai Chi once, but the acoustics in the hall were so bad I was left several movements behind everyone else, like Corporal Jones in Dads Army.

No, I'm not a fussy mum in the physical sense. I expect to be waited on hand & foot by the men in my life, not the other way round :lol:

This wee drama has shown me again how much he has matured. A couple of years back this would have meant panic & meltdowns, but he took it all in his stride, well these things happen & I'm not giving up taekwondo, he said. And I think he is looking forward to being the centre of attention (in a good way) at work next week!

UPDATE:

Well he's been soooo stoical about this, but we went to the ortho clinic today expecting to be discharged & he was told he'd have to have a new plaster on for another 2 weeks!

He was sooo upset - he's struggling to wash properly, & cant drive or go to taekwondo. Anyway while we were waiting for the plaster to be removed I was saying, better that than surgery, dad can help you bath, I'll get you a waterproof thingy etc. etc. He was NOT a happy bunny.

But when they removed the plaster & the doc looked at his thumb, he decided a removable wrist splint would suffice! :bounce: So he can take it off in the shower, & do taekwondo so long as he doesnt spar. He'll miss his next grading, but such is life.

Sorry I'm late to this Pearl. I'm glad JP's on the mend :thumbs: .

I'm beginning to think that martial arts are bad for your health. My hubby is an Aikido teacher and a few months ago was showing the class some moves with a fellow teacher. Hubby managed to catch his foot in the other guys black skirt thingy that they wear (can't remember what it's called :rolleyes: ) and fell on the mat and broke his collarbone :sick: .

Annie

xx

Thanks annie! Know what you mean, its like Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the school hall some nights if someone hasnt cut their toenails! I am slightly miffed that no one from taekwondo has been in touch - for all they know I could be sueing them! His teacher even suggested he have a go at putting it back :o thank goodness JP had the sense to say no.