Sign in to follow this  
gladysmay

Autism Education Trust

I know that I should be saying brilliant - wonderful -just what we needed about this trust and yes it is. BUT I do have some pretty big concerns about the membership fo this trust. Why are the only memebrs who are directly involved with education all from TreeHouse? I know TreeHouse has done some tremendous work for some children but TreeHouse is built on the foundations of ABA (Applied Behavioural Analysis) Does this mean that we are now working towards an ABA approach for all autistic children - another 'one size fit's all' approach ?

It worries me that NAS appear to be taking this route because I firmly believe that there should be a menu of provision for our children. I would never want ABA for my autistic children. But then it worries me that Autism Speaks appears to have quite a strong foothold in the UK. Maybe I am just a pesimist.

So while this should be something wonderful I sadly have huge concerns and intend to ask some serious questions about this Trust.

Cat

Edited by Cat

Hi, the basic answer to this is that the Trust will not be advocating one method over another. I will come back more fully later, I woudl encourage anyone with questions to use the AET response form and raise anything you want to:):)

Having been in touch with a spokesperson for the Trust, it is my understandng that the Trusts aim is to include as many people as possible to help to shape the Trust to be a tool for those it aims to support, and that although Treehouse are a partner along with The Council for Disabled Children and NAS, as previously mentioned, the Trust aims to give independent advice to parents and professionals.

I hope this of use, do please contact AET and they will be happy to answer you :):)

http://www.autism.org.uk/aet

http://www.ncb.org.uk/Page.asp?sve=785

Edited by gladysmay