Sign in to follow this  
mumble_rocks

Panic Attacks

I have been reffered to a consultent bout the asthma as I have had 6 admissions to hospital this year when I have been away from home and not even one mild attack at home!! This was confussing all the doctors so this was the reson for the refferal. Anyway saw him and he dint have many ideas either so I got sent for lung function tests and allergy test (horrible I tell you!)

On Thursday we went back for the results found out I am allergic to tree and grass pollon. This would answer the attacks while away (normally in a field!) but I can go camping with family fine!

He said it must be panic attacks then and not asthma!!! He said if I am getting overloaded during the day then I am going to bed with this on my mind, giving the reson for waking at 3am stuggling to breath! Now getting refered to physio to get tought breathing excersises and letters to college and scout leaders asking that I not be put under so much pressure on camps and be given hour or so in the evening to cam before bed!

Anyone else have expirence with Panic attacks as it seems it may be AS related by getting overloaded with information during the day, at home if I cant cope I loose it but when away I feel I cant for fear of being thought a weirdo! Theres no winning here!

Thinking about the times my "ashtma attacks" have happened it has been during days that I've completely shutdown due to sensory overload. The last one started of as an asthma attack and became a panic attack, it was after spending the evening in the pub (before the smoking ban). It was a very small wetherspoons with lots of people, noise, smoke and smells. :unsure: I normally don't cope that well in those situations, but didn't want to leave as I was seeing my best friend who I hadn't seen for over a year (he lives on the other side of the country).

I have been reffered to a consultent bout the asthma as I have had 6 admissions to hospital this year when I have been away from home and not even one mild attack at home!! This was confussing all the doctors so this was the reson for the refferal. Anyway saw him and he dint have many ideas either so I got sent for lung function tests and allergy test (horrible I tell you!)

On Thursday we went back for the results found out I am allergic to tree and grass pollon. This would answer the attacks while away (normally in a field!) but I can go camping with family fine!

He said it must be panic attacks then and not asthma!!! He said if I am getting overloaded during the day then I am going to bed with this on my mind, giving the reson for waking at 3am stuggling to breath! Now getting refered to physio to get tought breathing excersises and letters to college and scout leaders asking that I not be put under so much pressure on camps and be given hour or so in the evening to cam before bed!

Anyone else have expirence with Panic attacks as it seems it may be AS related by getting overloaded with information during the day, at home if I cant cope I loose it but when away I feel I cant for fear of being thought a weirdo! Theres no winning here!

i am currently off work sick with panic attacks and they are a horrible horrible thing. i have had panic attacks for 14/15 years and have learned to cope with them. but i am also waiting for a referral to see cpn to get cbt.

i think some of my panic attacks start with sensory difficulties- noise, and sight- am this is one reason why i am asking for adult as assessment because i think that they are linked in some way..

Hi Mumble.I tend to hyperventilate-breathe too fast -when I get overanxious.I have found that swimming helps a lot.If you swim then you need to be able to control your breathing and so it can help increase awareness of changes in breathing due to anxiety.

If you can swim and it helps it may be worth giving it a go.

If you have asthma and panic attacks it can be diffucult to ditinguish between the two.Asthma attacks can be triggered by anxiety and if you become aware that you are hyperventilating due to anxiety that may also trigger an asthma attack.Unless somone with experience and knowledge sees you at the time and does a peak flow test or is able to differentiate it is difficult to tell which is which.

The most important thing is iff you have an inhaler prescribed and are in any doubt then use it as prescribed.If you begin to get anxious due to a panic attack and do not use the inhaler it may set you off wheezing too. :rolleyes: .Karen.