Sign in to follow this  
oracle

IDEA !

Hi Carole,

Would these leters be sent to all schools or are they for parents to request for one as they need it?

I think it sounds like a very good idea but not sure how it would work.

Viper.

Edited by Viper

What a fantastic idea....how many of us Mums have sat in our head teachers office pouring our hearts out explaining how difficult things are at home, to then have the head dismiss what we have said as the ramblings of some neurotic mother.

I certainly know that I sat once....cried my eyes out....telling head how J was really having bad melt downs at home and was finding it really difficult to cope with his home work etc.....for the head to then tell me he had NEVER heard of this before and maybe J was playing me for a fool as whilst he was at school he never, at that time, had had a meltdown!!!!

A couple of months later I bumped into a friend who's son had attended our school...he has a dx of Aspergers....I told her what about my discussion with the head.....she then told me that just 6 months before she had done the exact same thing and had gotten the same respoose!!!!!!

Our School Doctor told hubby and I that J could not possibly have Aspergers because everytime he walked through our local shopping centre he did not lick all the windows he walked past!!!!!

It was only when J started to have daily meltdowns at school did they begin to realise I was not telling lies and that my son was experiencing some real difficulties.

Ignorance is a killer.......the only way these professionals will ever learn is if they really listen to us.....we live ASD daily....they only read about it in the books they pick up or the research they read. Standing together as a united front gives us families the power to make the authorities listen.....understanding might take a bit longer....but we have to be patient!

Carole - I think it's a good idea. Reading the many problems on this forum there are certain patterns which emerge - like the difference between behaviour at school and home, and it would be good to point out these trends. (I think we could write a book with all the information on here!)

I think it needs to be as objective and factual as possible perhaps with the endorsement of a respected professional or two so that it is not seen as just the collective ravings of a bunch of hysterical parents.

Carole,

If the forum can help in any way, then you go girl!! :lol:

I don't believe any member would mind you using extracts from the forum, anonymously, for the purpose of educating the,...educators!!

Elefan

xx

Hi Carole,

You must be able to read my mind. Only two days ago I was thinking down the same track. The 'system' as it stands relys on the fact that as parents we are isolated.

The concept of 'banding together' as a unit would give us a voice. If we had a representitive national collective, of out spoken parents behind us, then these harrowing school meetings that each & every one us attends, would stop being so intemidaiting.

I posted somewhere the other evening that my hubby says I should no longer need to buy books on ASD since finding this forum & someone else echos that, Kathryn I think, But its true there is such a wealth of knoweledge right here.

You certainly have my vote :dance: