srarfish

what help is my child supposed to be getting?

My child has been on school action plus since his problems were first identified in reception class and we were told then it was AS but didnt get an official diagnsis until Feb this year as there is a long waiting list. He has done well since then achieving well above the curriculum levels for his age in all the key subjects. It wasn,t until the start of year 5 that things started to go wrong and he was refusing to write, losing motivation for school, saying that he didn't like repeating things and saying what do we need to do that when we don,t need it. He is now in year 6 and has become more agressive as well as he is taunted at school and the other children love to see him blow. I have decided to ask for a statement to get it in place before he goes to secondary. I went to his IEP meeting last night and said that he needs more help one to one as the school are missing the fact that he does not understand what is required in some cases and that the language he uses is because he cant admit that he just can't do it or can't understand. He just sat an optional sat test reading comprehension and put his pen down as there was too much abstract thinking needed. The school can't see the problem as he is achieving level 5 in year 5 test. He is hardly outputting any work, none that I have seen in year 5 this will be no good for secondary. The autism outreach was there at the meeting and said to the senco that the school would have to prove that they have given 20 hours. What does this mean? the senco just bluffed through this and said the school had no money. meanwhile my child is suffering daily coming home stressed and depressed.

My child has been on school action plus since his problems were first identified in reception class and we were told then it was AS but didnt get an official diagnsis until Feb this year as there is a long waiting list. He has done well since then achieving well above the curriculum levels for his age in all the key subjects. It wasn,t until the start of year 5 that things started to go wrong and he was refusing to write, losing motivation for school, saying that he didn't like repeating things and saying what do we need to do that when we don,t need it. He is now in year 6 and has become more agressive as well as he is taunted at school and the other children love to see him blow. I have decided to ask for a statement to get it in place before he goes to secondary. I went to his IEP meeting last night and said that he needs more help one to one as the school are missing the fact that he does not understand what is required in some cases and that the language he uses is because he cant admit that he just can't do it or can't understand. He just sat an optional sat test reading comprehension and put his pen down as there was too much abstract thinking needed. The school can't see the problem as he is achieving level 5 in year 5 test. He is hardly outputting any work, none that I have seen in year 5 this will be no good for secondary. The autism outreach was there at the meeting and said to the senco that the school would have to prove that they have given 20 hours. What does this mean? the senco just bluffed through this and said the school had no money. meanwhile my child is suffering daily coming home stressed and depressed.

Hi Strafish,

My daughter was diagnosed in year 6 of primary after being on SA+ for two years. I was told all sortsof things I now found to be untrue. I was assured that all children with SEN regardless of whether they have a statemnt get treated the same and get what they need. This ISN'T the case.

My daughter is now year 9 and after all these years the lEA have agreed to statement her. This was after being turned down for a statement and amost getting to tribunal with appeal.

What I will say, is use this forum, use the autistic society and get ALL the facts available so you know how to fight the system.

I was told last week that in my area, they rarely statement a 13yr old with A/S unless they have BIG learning difficulties. All my daughters problems are anxiety based, and as such as far as the school and LEA were concerned, her problems didn't exist.

I still don't know the legalaties of which child is entitiled to what, but I do know that you need to fight and start now.

You don't need to wait for the school to ask for a statement, you can do this yourself now. Put your concerns down and say why the school can't cope.

I would also suggest you not communicate to the school or LEA by phone, get everything in writing, as you will find a lot of people 'bluff' their way through meetings etc. If you are entitled to legal aid, you can utilize this once the school have refused to assess your son <they will probably do this if the school don't support a statement> You can also utilize services such as IPSEA who have experts on team ready to help.

Remember even if the statement process goes smoothly it can take 6 months + but with a child whose problems aren't as obvious as those with big learning needs, it can take a lot longer, with us it's taken two and a half years! so do jump on it as soon as possible.

I'm sure you will get a lot less airy fairy advice from others on here, but just to let you know that I am thinking of you.... My daughter too is getting more and more depressed, and it is very scary!

<hugs> Anne

This story sounds so familiar, you could be talking about my son. We finally got a statement when Nick was 12 after having a complete breakdown, the system is so wrong, our kids are very bright and it is not untill middle school that the problems start especially with peer's, this leads to unhappieness and violent behaviour, when will our kids get the help they need before it is too late!! :wallbash::wallbash: . Please fight for your child, it will be a long hard battle but you have to do it >:D<<'>

Hi Starfish.It is worth asking the Autism outreach teacher what was meant by the question about 20 hours.

It may be that the Autism Outreach teacher is aware that your child should be getting that amount of support in class from a TA and wonders whether it is happening. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

SEN are not just to do with levels in SATS.Children with AS may do ok in some subjects especially in primary.However if appropriate support is not provided for Social Communication Difficulties and aspects of learning that they find difficult then the lack of support may impact on both learning and ability to cope in school.Support should be provided for any part of the whole school day that is difficult-Ben has support mainly in unstructured times as he does well in Numeracy and Literacy.

It is important to think seriously about asking for a Statutary Assessment of SEN as it is a lengthy process and it would be far better to have a Statement in place before Transition to secondary school.For children that are vulnerable transition can be stressful and a Statement provides some protection in ensuring adequate support is provided in Secondary.The fact that your child is stressed,depressed and angry is a clear indication that either the support is not adequate or the school are not using the support appropriately.

The primary school may not be very motivated to do anything at this stage as they will not gain much if your child is in year 6.However as others have said you can write to the LEA yourself.There is a template letter on the IPSEA web site.It is good to obtain agreement from the school if you can-however at this stage it may be worth writing to the LEA even if the school don't feel it is necessary.

It is worth talking to the Autism Outreach Teacher and to Parent Partnership to see if you can get some support.

Even if the LEA decide not to conduct an Assessment the Senco will have to explain what support is being provided. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

Thanks for all your help and support, I know I am going to have a battle as this LEA don,t want to statement I have a good friend who has gone through the process and can help me. I hav'nt been in touch with parent partnership yet, will they try to talk me out of it? The professionals I have seen have said that chldren have to be a lot worse than my son. He is seeing clinical psychologist for anger and stress. occupational therapist for balance and handwriting practice all of which she says have improved in six sessions!!!! I fell really angry as I trusted the teachers and system and it has failed my son.

20 hours is how much support a school can choose to give a child in school without needing a statement.

It isn't an entitlement, the school can give up to that amount.

SA plus just means that the school has needed advice and support from other, external agencies in order to create an IEP.

Statements are very hard to get now, as with a statement you have a legal document setting out exactly what provisions are being made, and they are binding on the school. Funding is very tight, and it depends how severe your child's needs are perceived as being, as to whether the school will support you in going for a statement.

20 hours is how much support a school can choose to give a child in school without needing a statement.

It isn't an entitlement, the school can give up to that amount.

SA plus just means that the school has needed advice and support from other, external agencies in order to create an IEP.

Statements are very hard to get now, as with a statement you have a legal document setting out exactly what provisions are being made, and they are binding on the school. Funding is very tight, and it depends how severe your child's needs are perceived as being, as to whether the school will support you in going for a statement.

looks like a no win situation then, The school hav'nt been giving him much in the way of support and now he is hating school and learning.

looks like a no win situation then, The school hav'nt been giving him much in the way of support and now he is hating school and learning.

Time to sort out your arguments, check what they can do but are choosing not to and start fighting!

:star:

" The autism outreach was there at the meeting and said to the senco that the school would have to prove that they have given 20 hours."

He won't be considered for a statement until the school can show that they have gone this far, and he needs more. You've got a dx, and there are people on the forum who have won statements for their children without their school's help. I'm sure they could help and advise you better than me. It's wonderful, how many no-win situations can be won. It's infuriating that the fight needs to happen at all.

Thanks for all your help and support, I know I am going to have a battle as this LEA don,t want to statement I have a good friend who has gone through the process and can help me. I hav'nt been in touch with parent partnership yet, will they try to talk me out of it? The professionals I have seen have said that chldren have to be a lot worse than my son. He is seeing clinical psychologist for anger and stress. occupational therapist for balance and handwriting practice all of which she says have improved in six sessions!!!! I fell really angry as I trusted the teachers and system and it has failed my son.

Parent partnership should not try to talk you out of it....but they are more supportive in some areas than others.

It may be worth phoning IPSEA for advice too if your LEA does not tend to issue Statements unless it has no alternative.

IPSEA have a helpline.There is a thread here[ http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=418 ] that may be helpful if you want to try to find out what support your child is getting.

I have now applied for an assessment with it I enclosed a letter highlighting my sons problems now and have had a visit from the parent partnership. She advised me that my letter was very good but didn't say whether It would fulfill the criteria for assessment. I now have a week to get my parental views in and will have another visit from her tommorow. my son has a diagnosis and all his problems at school are linked to his AS. His problems could fill a book. Can anyone help me with parental representation, one to work from, it seems daft to write about their history when they have a diagnosis. HELP

Srarfish,

I put in a parential request in December and used the guidance on the thread provided by Karen on the above post. I am pleased to report that on the 20th December our LEA emailed me to say the panel have agreed to go ahead with an assessment. From the guidance I sought from the said thread I believe I enclosed a lot more information than had I not read it, my advice is to include everything about your child under each of the headings, I even put stuff like being awarded DLA at Higher Rate for Care explaining that my son requires more personal help than a child of the same age.

I found PWP to be very supportive and helpful, even our caseworker at the LEA was very sweet and friendly. We now have our fingers tightly crossed that they agree to do a statement.

Keep fighting, don't wish to worry you, but we found our sons got worse from yr 5 and we didn't get a dx until he was in yr 7, the transistion to secondary is huge for any child let alone one with SN's, if only we knew what we know now, I think our expereince could have been a whole lot better. Please do try and fight hard to get this sorted before he completes his primary education.

Good luck and if I can be of any help please do not hesitate to ask.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x