Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Parental Advice for Annual Review....

Hi guys,

I'm trying to put together a report of my views for M's annual review - only i'm stuck!

I'm not sure how to collate it all - at the moment it's coming out as a rant and not in any sensible order! :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a list of bullet-point type starters to get me going? :pray:

*Brain Freeze!* :wacko:

..............and then remove a couple of hundred pages! :wacko::lol:

I'm waffling - i know i'm waffling - but i can't stop! :blink:

Is there any 'guides to.....' hanging around that outline what needs to be said...?

All i have is

Report must refer to;

childs progress

the application of the national curriculum and substitutions for the national curriculum (huh??)

the transition plan, where one exists (yikes)

whether the statement is still appropriate, or needs to be amended or dropped.

:crying: loosing me marbles! :tearful:

Hey, we got the annual review soon too and i've still not had any reports from the school, have you had any reports from the school yet, I think they are menat to give them to you two weeks before.....you could use that as your starting point >:D<<'>

Hiya,

This is where i was getting very confused! (doesn't take much at the mo!)

I was told by school to wait until i have the reports back from LEA and school (should be two weeks before, but that was last friday.........and nothing so far :unsure: ) - go through it all, and then give my opinion. This was the prefered option for me. Good idea for me and school to be saying the same thing iyswim.

Only, i haven't recieved anything yet - and i have a sneaking feeling that my advice needs to be in now.

Phoned LEA - they said i can wait for schools blurb.

Spoke to school - they said same....

BUT - i'm sure my thoughts need to be in within the two weeks deadline too......... :wacko::hypno:

Confused! I'm a little further on with my report. Did quite a bit over the weekend - but ended up in tears (it's so hard isn't it?:tearful: ).

Ho hum

You have got some excellent advice already, but you may wish to consider the following:

First write to the LEA explaining that they need to extend the deadline for comments as they have been slow in getting information to you. Ask them to confirm the new dealine in writing. Ask them by phone as well and keep a copy of correspondence and notes of calls.

One way to get started on the review is to go line by line through the existing statement asking yourself if the school are providing what they should it and it is still relavent/sufficient? Is there anything your child no longer needs or needs in addition t what is on the statement? Are you happy with the choice of school?

Try and take someone with you to the review meeting and kick up a full if they havent allowed at least an hour for it. Too many schools (even Special Schools) regard statement review meetings as a formality to be done in 10 mins. If you feel they may have anything to add ask for your Pediatrician or Child Psychologist to be there too. If you have a copy of the Special Needs Education code of practice take it into the meeting and keep it in full view!

Good luck!

Simon

Will the other reports come from the LEA? Ie; will the school send them to LEA and then it's LEA's job to send them to me? Or will the school give me copies?

Hmmmmmmmm, just thinking out loud here. I'll ask senco.

The school are very, very supportive of a move to independant special school - me thinks the LEA don't want my views too........ :shame:

I've gone through the ACE guide - which is excellent. It outlines exactly what i need to focus on and comment on. Mostly done now.

School told me in writing the review would be an hour - so that's ok.

Hi Smiley.I think it is worth asking the Senco for a copy of the school submission.

I don't see it being a problem if you would have got a copy later anyway.Karen.

If you are looking to move schools you are simply looking for the current school to state that they are unable to meet the provisions set out in the statement and to say that they feel his current placement is no longer appropriate. In effect you shoud say the same, being careful to thank the school for their efforts so far.

Simon

Thanks guys >:D<<'>

That was the kick up the backside i needed!

Just finishing off my report now - i'll take it into school later & send a copy to Mr horrible LEA man.

(Why is it i can help out others with stuff like this - just when it comes to my own son - i go to pieces and forget everything?!)