Confusedmum

Poor DD

Until very recently DD had shown no interest in interacting with any children other than her little sister. She started school this september and after a rocky start she has settled in ok. Recently she has started to really try and make friend with a few of the boys in her class, but her way of doing this is to hug and kiss them. To start off with none of them seemed to mind but recently according to DD teacher this has started to annoy some of them.

The ASD teaching team have been coming into school to work along side DDs teacher for a couple of hours each week and today she brought in a social story to explain to her that its ok for her to kiss and cuddle her family but not her friends at school. She went histerical and was absolutley heart broken :tearful: , she wouldnt even let her teacher of the TA comfort her (she normaly does). I think that she thinks that she can no longer to play with them. She has been trying so hard recently and i just hope that this wont knock her convidence.

I was just so chuffed that she had finally started to show some interest in other children that stupidly i didnt pick up on the fact that this would annoy the other kids. I feel so annoyed at myself for not picking up on this before, if i had then i would have explained to her myself.

I'm not trying to be flippant, or play down your worry about your daughter, but we had the opposite today, bit of a blip with my son, whose nearly 13.

There's a girl who has been his partner in DT, and he sorted out a problem with her electrics board.

He thought that she was an OK sort of person, but she obviously 'likes him' in a different way.

So she tried to hug him, with considerable affection...

and he roared at her 'Shove off, you stupid b*tch'

She was upset, he claimed it was sexual harrassment, DT teacher separated them and calmed things down.

She's been told to tone her friendship down, and in the next few sessions, he's working with another pupil.

He says if she touches him again, then he wants the law involved to have a restraining order put on her.

Sorry she was so upset, cm. Dont beat yourself up, theres no way as parents we can anticipate everything. Its so tough for them isnt it, getting all the nuances wrong with no idea why.

Hope she soon gets her confidence back >:D<<'>

Edited by pearl

It's a good idea to stop this sort of behaviour now (it is not so cute at 8), BUT I do hope the social story included what she SHOULD do instead when she wants to play with the other children.

The sad thing is that what an autistic child is allowed to do when they are 8, 9 and 10 will be what they expect to be allowed to do when they are 18, 19 and 20. I was talking about this only today when I attended a meeting with our LA. It is difficult because of course we want our children to have friends but sadly they have to know what is appropriate and what is not. And although your little girl is only a young child what would or could happen when she is say 12 or 13 and still likes to kiss the boys. They may well want to take things a lot further than that and that could leave her in a nightmare situation.

Cat

It sounds like the social story has not covered all it needs to.

She needs to learn appropriate ways to show her friendship, as well as what is inappropriate.