brooke

what sort of christmas

Hi Everyone >:D<<'>

Well its not long to go now :clap: I love christmas and was wondering what everyone on here will be doing? We are having my in laws round this year and i cant wait we spent it on our own last year and it wasnt the same. We will be visiting my family on boxing day which will probably be a disaster as whenever we go anywhere else the boys get so hyper!!! Ive done most of my shopping now (phew) so im just trying to think of some nice things to cook. My mum always made lovely food at christmas and mine isnt up to her standard!!! Dh dad does most of the cooking he is a great cook, and we will be having turkey. Im lucky that the boys like turkey although one wiill be having no potateo (doesnt like it!) and one no peas but generally they like the sunday dinner type of meal!!! When it comes to other meat though ds1 hates the texture so he doesnt eat it. So whats everyone else going to be doing.......?

>:D<<'>

I don't celebrate xmas. I will however be celebrating Hanukkah, we're going to have some really nice meals, light the candles, play dreidel etc. Lots of singing, eating and so on. My girlfriend celebrates xmas, albeit in a kind of secular way (presents and such but not the actual religious side of it). My mum is arriving on the 22nd and staying for about a week which will be nice :thumbs: If things go as I hope I shall be recovering from surgery and revising for the january exams. :rolleyes:

We having the mil and her other half and my grandparent inlaws round.

I dont really like xmas, i enjoy the excitment the kids have on xmas eve and seeing them open pressies then the day just goes downhill. Cooking cleaning and being tired due to getting up so early.opeing loads of naff pressies from family lol BAAAHHHH HUMBUGGGGGG

Having my mum over at christmas, which the girls are really looking forward to. The little likes the tree going up, as he is fasinated with lights. The little man does not like the mayhem that surrounds christmas morning, so he will disappear back to his bedroom, and return only once the mess has been cleared away. He will then take the remaining of the day to open his presents. At least now he enjoys opening presents.

CJ

oh i remeber ds1 first 5 xmas's he didnt have a clue what was going on :tearful: he enjoys it now though which is nice as its all for kids really :D

i love christmas,getting harder to buy steven stuff now hes getting older but my katie aged 4 is so easy to buy for,everything pink and girlie and its all half the price of stevies presents!!i love seeing their faces :wub:

unfortunately we cant have people round as steve cant handle it so its us lot but its still lovely,christmas eve my fave time,really magical,going to my sisters boxing day

Oooh, I love Christmas, can't wait. Both the boys are so excited - C is getting a bit anxious that we haven't got any decorations up!!!!!! I have promised we can do them this weekend - I thought November was a bit early!!!

We are having a bit of a change this year, we usually have a quiet xmas day - do some pressies in the morning - I go off to church and then have a family lunch, usually with my father in law. Then on the 26th we go to my family and do it all over again!!!!!

This year because both my dad and brother in law are away, my mom and sister are coming over to us on Christmas eve(Ch's birthday), they are going to stay over and have xmas breakfast with us, then we will have our normal family lunch. I'm really looking forward to it, at least it's not 3 hectic days in a row which C -ds1 will definetly appriciate.

Just need to get started on Christmas and birthday shopping now!!!!

The three of us always go to the carol service at our local 14th century church, soooo atmospheric. Mr pearl & I try & fit in a Christmas concert, last year we went to our local medieval pile & sat by a log fire listening to old, old music played by a local group who wear costume & play sackbutts, crumhorns etc. We left it too late to book this year so we are hoping to go to Maddy Prior's Carnivals & Capers concert which is coming to our city.

My mate & I usually go to a christmas market somewhere, in the past we've been to York, Edinburgh, Lincoln & Durham. But again I've seen none advertised this year so we'll probs go to Manchester christmas market this year.

Christmas Day mum will be coming to us. She will have a few too many & slide gently down her armchair. I really enjoy cooking Christmas dinner. S & her boyfriend wanted to come but its his parents first christmas without his grandma this year, she died a few months back, so they are going there & coming to us another day. But I've told her I'm not cooking two christmas dinners!

I've bought new fairy lights for the house this year, & a lovely christmas candle in a red glass jar which smells lovely. We have saved our mead from the Northumberland holiday so will have a glass or three each evening. And we are lucky enough to have a big holly tree in the garden so will bring lots of it inside.

Oo I feel all excited now! :dance:

Christmas is a great time for us we love it.

Christmas eve is usually getting last bits and bobs we go into lush for nice smellies we always buy the christmassy ones, then go see a film.

then home to wrap the last few presents. wee bubs goes to bed and i open the bottle of amaretto and watch a wee film while having a well deserved glass with lots of ice (either that or a nice glass of wine)

Mornings are spent opening and playing with presents then her Dad collects her and takes her to his Mums house for Christmas dinner.

I tidy up and enjoy the peace go for a walk with the dog. Enjoy chatting with my friends on the 'phone.

Then the world is back to normal when my baby comes home on boxing day!

Hope everyone enjoys their day too

Nic

I finish work at 8am Xmas Eve, so after a sleep I am going to drive up to my mum and dad's. My mum's parents, her brother and his girlfriend, and my brother will be there too, and we shall dine on salmon! On Christmas day we eat turkey. All the family ring to day happy Christmas. I have to rush off home early Boxing Day morning in time for a sleep before I go back to work again that night. I'm gonna be exhausted.

I will however be celebrating Hanukkah

Will the Holiday Armadillo be there? :unsure: (Sorry, Friends has been one of my very long running obsessions!! :rolleyes:)

Pearl reminded me - my sister and I have a tradition of setting fire to the blue rinse brigade in church on Christmas eve - I didn't mean it the first time, honest :whistle: but it's become a bit of a tradition :devil:

We'll be having a totally bwilliant one as usual I 'specs... :thumbs:

Ben will get up 'a bit earlier 'cos it's Christmas' and then we'll make our way downstairs so he can wade into his prezzies...

We'll have our usual 1-1 dinner (not sure what we'll go for this year, but the short list is Bison, Blesbok or Wildebeest... starters is a warm salad of pigeon breast and pickled pear), and Ben will feel all grown up with a small glass of sparkling wine Spritzer while i finish off the bottle :D:devil:

(I've also bought him some GF beer so he can have a shandy with his tea this year :))

Then I'll do washing up before 'resting my eyes' on the sofa while he leaps around like a loon playing one of his new PS2 games...

Mid arvo we'll have some guests arriving, and we'll all play board games/interactive DVD games etc until teatime...

They'll probably clear off about 8.30 - 9ish leaving me and ben a bit of time to chill on the sofa before he wobbles off completely K-nacked to bed, and that'll be it for another year!

May not be everyone's ideal... but we Freakin LOVE IT! :thumbs::thumbs: ...

I suspect this year will be the last for Xmas eve... (he's sort of erring on the side of caution this year!)... carrot for Rudolph, some nuts and a glass of port for santa (can't do mince pies no more - the pastry gives him heartburn ;))... those icy(ing) footprints by the chimney that never seem to dissolve... and at midnight a raised glass 'for absent friends'...

BAH HUMBUG! Must be going soft in my old age :)

L&P

BD :D

I have turned mine into a tradition.

I always go overboard with decorations and food I plan a month ahead and the feast and celebration is much more important than the presents.

Then we have quality time walking off the feast and go walking in the evening enjoying all the major christmas lights setup around the neighbourhood. Three streets in particular try and out do each other - they jut get better every year.

Or walk along the beach.

Then we come back for dessert and a great movie we can all enjoy.

Also, if we know of anyone not celebrating Christmas as they are alone - we invite them and make sure they get a present too.

These days my kids prefer money so they can spend up at the huge sales after Christmas as everything is marked down in price.

Dressing up the Chrismas tree gets me into gear. :thumbs:

:)

Santa hasn't been to be for a few years because he doesn't know I've moved away from my parents' house. He came last time I stayed Xmas Eve though, and I'm secretly hoping he'll come again :clap:

The three of us always go to the carol service at our local 14th century church.

You mean one of those gorgeous churches that you stole from us, along with York Minster and Westminster Abbey?

If the C of E were truly filled with the message of Christmas, you'd give us Catholics back what you nicked 450 years ago. I'm thinking of getting up a petition...

Edited by Bard

You mean one of those gorgeous churches that you stole from us, along with York Minster and Westminster Abbey?

If the C of E were truly filled with the message of Christmas, you'd give us Catholics back what you nicked 450 years ago. I'm thinking of getting up a petition...

Oh there's always one who wants to go dragging religion into it, isn't there :whistle:

Hi,

It's going to be slightly different in our house as OJ has now realised that Santa isn't real!!! :crying:

He seems ok with it but is having huge problems with his Xmas list - not sure if that is related to the new understanding.

We have my dad over as he is the only grandparent left now and he brings his sleeping bag, drinks too much wine and goes home the next morning with some left over turkey and a piece of Christmas cake (bought, I hasten to add!!). He has no awareness of the children's problems as we have realised he is very autistic himself, but at 76, he doesn't feel the need to explore his identity.

I look forward to cooking a normal roast dinner with a few extras and chilling out with lots of wine and tv!!

Stella xx

This will be C's first Xmas with no santa. But he's promised to try to keep up the pretence for the sake of the twinkles. He's being very mature about it in a "We must humour the little people" kind of way.

DH will be offshore this Xmas (wish I was married to his opposite number, as HE always seems to be home for Xmas), so my sis will probably move in on Xmas eve to help me play santa - which involves jingling bells outside the bedroom window while I read "The night before Christmas" to the kids (just to really wind them up into an excitement frenzy before bed), then helping me down from the attic with a ridiculous amount of presents.

Up early, present opening-frenzy. Even the dogs join in for this - Butty uses two paws and tears the wrapping to shreds... it causes great hilarity every year.

Round to my parents for dinner - Turkey and all the trimmings (my mum is a fantastic cook). More presents there, even another stocking. Watch my dad finish off all the wine while we play Junior Trivial Pursuits until R storms off in a huff.

Sit nursing hugely swollen bellies while the children play with their consumer goods, and the dogs rip up their new toys, then home to veg-out in front of TV.

DH is due off the rig on 29th (the kids and I have got him a new computer, so he'll be absolutely delighted - makes a change from Homer Simpson socks!), so in-laws will probably come over then for an over-night stay, bringing yet more presents. Then at some point we'll venture to the mainland to spent the kids' Christmas money.

*ahem* lapsed Catholic here - I'm reclaiming it :devil:

Forgot about one of the best bits of our christmas - open house at mr pearls sisters. He's one of six, so there can be anything up to 30 peeps crammed into a terraced house. Sounds hideous but we are all a bit spectrumy so we mostly play games to avoid all the small talk! :lol:

my sister and I have a tradition of setting fire to the blue rinse brigade in church on Christmas eve - I didn't mean it the first time, honest but it's become a bit of a tradition

I love the way you just say these things, & leave us to fill in the gaps :lol:

I am sooooooo jealous, you all seem to have such amazing plans and traditions, think our Christmas at the moment anyway will be presentless, treeless and turkeyless as have not had the motivation to do anything about it, but since reading your posts I am almost ready to go !!!!!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Clare x x x

The tree will go up on the 20th, i love putting up the tree with M :wub: , so many sparklies - the pair of us are in heaven!

Christmas Eve we have some close family coming over for tea and board games :thumbs:

Santa will get a biscuit/twiglet/whateverthehells in the cupboard (Santa ain't fussy!), and a glass of something bubbly.

Crimbo will begin with M whirling into my room at the crack of dawn (if not before..), opening my eyelids for me to make sure im awake, totally amazed that Santa has snuck into his room whilst he was sleeping and filled up his stocking :wub: . I vanish off to get a cuppa - then we snuggle up while he opens his stocking bits (thank you pound shop! :notworthy: ).

Then we wander into the lounge and i watch him him open some of his presents. I LOVE the look on his face - this year will only the second that he really gets it - and it's such a joy to see his face light up :wub: . Presents are opened one at a time - i have a thing about him being grateful (grumpy ol' mum!), so present opeing can take all day!

Scrummy lunch, followed by a nice walk - all wrapped up like snowmen.

Then mummy has a :wine: and M has a :robot:

Awwwww looking forward to it now! :clap:

We are having Christmas just the four of us this year!! Its the first time I've had Christmas without my family (well I had one in the US but with hubbies family). Will be odd, but I'm also really looking forward to having a chilled Christmas where the kids can enjoy all their toys and I dont have to worry about dinner etc - well I am cooking Christmas dinner but no pressure as there's just us!! Can't wait!

Logan doesn't really get Christmas but Leona LOVES it - totally - as do I!! :-)

Lynne x

Every year we also buy a new decoration for the tree, this is dd's bit and as we put up the tree she puts on these decorations and we tell the story of how we bought them and why (1st xmas, then Santa then soft snowman,etc) this year it is a set of sparkly reindeers to match the glass one we bought last year.

I love this part of christmas.

Nic

my sister and I have a tradition of setting fire to the blue rinse brigade in church on Christmas eve - I didn't mean it the first time, honest but it's become a bit of a tradition

I love the way you just say these things, & leave us to fill in the gaps :lol:

The blue rinse brigade are all the old ladies (with blue rinses) who make up most of the population where my mum lives. Pretty much everyone from the area goes to the church on Christmas Eve (great time for burglars :ph34r: except gnome borrowing is about the only crime in the area) so it's packed with lots of them.

Every year we also buy a new decoration for the tree, this is dd's bit and as we put up the tree she puts on these decorations and we tell the story of how we bought them and why (1st xmas, then Santa then soft snowman,etc) this year it is a set of sparkly reindeers to match the glass one we bought last year.

I love this part of christmas.

Nic

I've started doing that for S, now she has her own place. Got her a beautiful glass angel for her tree from York Christmas Market last year. Havent found anything suitably gorgeous so far this year, but I will.

The blue rinse brigade are all the old ladies (with blue rinses) who make up most of the population where my mum lives. Pretty much everyone from the area goes to the church on Christmas Eve (great time for burglars :ph34r: except gnome borrowing is about the only crime in the area) so it's packed with lots of them.

But what about setting them on fire?

But what about setting them on fire?

Oh right. Well it's a candle lit service and everyone has their own candle. And because everyone from the surrounding area goes, it's really crammed in. And I mis-judged the distance between my flame and the wisps of blue rinse of the woman in front. And obviously, hair-sprayed blue rinse catches easily. So I had to blow her and my candle out . . . :oops:

Oh right. Well it's a candle lit service and everyone has their own candle. And because everyone from the surrounding area goes, it's really crammed in. And I mis-judged the distance between my flame and the wisps of blue rinse of the woman in front. And obviously, hair-sprayed blue rinse catches easily. So I had to blow her and my candle out . . . :oops:

I know I shouldnt, but ... :lol::lol::lol::notworthy:

I'm not looking forward to Christmas much. :(

We're going to stay with parents-in-law in London for four days and on Xmas day we'll go over to DH's sister's for dinner. It'll be pretty stressful as her son (cousin-from-hell) is an expert at winding Jay up and really distressing him. We'll probably have to let parents-in-law go over there before us and we'll just pop over to eat dinner and then leave early and go back to their house.

Jay won't eat anything either, because he's not used to eating at her house and won't eat Xmas meal anyway. He'll probably have a sandwich at grandma and grandad's before we go and then sit in a room on his own while we eat Xmas dinner.

My DH can't drive so I'll have to do all the driving and it's a long journey and the traffic will probably be awful and I'm getting quite stressed about it already. :(

Wish I could just stay at home on my own and put my feet up and scoff mince pies for a few days. The pressure and stress of the Xmas period will leave us all frazzled and irritable and exhausted. In fact, it already has! :(

~ Mel ~

>:D<<'> mel >:D<<'>

Is it too late to change your plans?

You should be able to have your Christmas how you want it, sounds like your family is doing all the compromising.

Friend of mine used to spend the day alone with her lad, long bracing walk & mushroom soup when they got home! Suited them both for years as he found Christmas so stressful. I think he's more flexible these days.

>:D<<'> mel >:D<<'>

Is it too late to change your plans?

You should be able to have your Christmas how you want it, sounds like your family is doing all the compromising.

Friend of mine used to spend the day alone with her lad, long bracing walk & mushroom soup when they got home! Suited them both for years as he found Christmas so stressful. I think he's more flexible these days.

I agree Mel you could start your own tradition.

For 10 years I had to endure Christmas according to my sisters rules or my ex partners rules. Oh I am grateful for the fuss they made - but last year I said its MY TURN..... No more control freak's thank you.....

Last year and this year I will buy all the Christmas cookbook's and plan my own. I made 'everything' :thumbs: Go wild with decorations, food and your kids will love it. :D It was AWESOME I created all sorts of new outdoor decorating with shade sails and fresh flowers galore in the garden and around the table. We had an awesome time wih friends and family coming by. Oh I live in Sydney its summer in December/Jan/Feb :) we have ours indoors & outdoors forget it probaly snows where you are. :dance::clap::lol:

You could do it too Mel >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> My kids insisted we do this in future. :thumbs:

Have fun

Love

Fran :)

Edited by Frangipani

I agree do your own thing its so much easier! Easier said than done though isn't it?

Peer pressure never really goes away does it?Good luck with the festive period

Nicola

This will be the first time in 12 years that I don't have to do Christmas lunch! :clap:

We are going down to my closest brother and family who live on an old farm in Zomerzet, and my mama is coming too which will be lovely as my dad died last year. My littlies can't wait as their cousins are the same age, there are 2 acres of garden to rush around in and they are desperate for it to snow :lol:

We are going down on 23rd, panto in the evening. Then Christmas Eve will be decorating the cake, Crib Sevice in the afternoon, and the Midnight for those hardy souls still awake (not me ;) ). Then the Big Day, B. Day, and home on the 27th :dance:

I can't wait, I think it's going to be fabby :clap::dance:

Boho :dance:

Hi Mel,

I know what it's like to suffer through these things. Every christmas I've had to grit my teeth and deal with my partner's family. Now we have them over at our place (my partner and his brother do all the cooking) so at least the boys can go off and do there own thing without disapproving adults frowning at them.

We also do Hannukah at my parents place, which is more kiddy friendly for us. The boys are very excited because they get to reenact the battle scene, (no swords though). Sciencegeek, we also play the Dreidel game and eat doughnuts, potato cakes and anything else that will quickly raise cholestoral (sp) and make you put on a billion kilos.

Cheers,

Eva