Canopus

Safety warning

I have received a warning from the London Ambulance Service of sinister activities in their area.

The London Ambulance service have units closely associated with the Police based in South London who are basically Fighting Gang Crimes. The 'street gangs' in London (particularly South London at present, but it is sure to spread) have initiation tasks which new gang members have to carry out to be admitted to the 'gang'. The latest craze is to drive around, deliberately with no lights on their cars. The first person who 'flashes' them, points at them or sounds their horn at them, has to be followed by that new gang member in their car, who then has to fire a shot into that vehicle with no regard as to who is inside.

Therefore if you see a vehicle with no lights on, do NOT 'flash' it etc. Please pass this info on to all your family, friends and colleagues and who knows, it may save a life.

Are you sure this is a hoax? I was handed a paper document last week by somebody who works for a local NHS trust, but not in ambulances. The document was date stamped and had names on it. It also mentioned that the event is unlikely to happen in the area covered by that NHS trust because the area has no history of gang culture. I discussed the issue with a long time resident of south London who had never encountered this warning before but told me that almost anything can happen round her way. Mysterious bullet holes (do you know what they actually look like!) appear in things regularly and the police just accept them as a feature of the area. The resident then told me that south London is a dangerous and violent place and the situation is getting worse.