spectrumlady

another sleep query !

My son sleeps too much ! He is aged 16yrs and falls asleep at school. After he has had a sleep, for about 20 minutes or so, he is bright and more willing to enagage. I have taken him to the doctor and he will have some blood tests on Monday. The best she could offer tho' was send him to bed at 9.00;pm !?!? It is referred to as somnolence, which is different to fatigue apparently.

He goes to bed at 11.00pn and sleeps through till 7.00am, has a very good diet, all organic, chicken, veg, oats fruit etc. Does anyone else have this problem, and what has been the result ?

Ann

:unsure:

I was getting sudden "attacks" of extreme tiredness before I started the gluten-free diet. I could make myself stay awake if I had to, but I would sleep for an hour or so if I could. Might be worth keeping a diary of what he is eating and when the sleep happens. A food intolerance may not show up on a blood test, but an allergy may.

If it is different to fatigue, having an early night is not going to solve the problem. At least they are looking for answers.

He is getting 8 hours alseep so it should be enough, is he stressed at all about anything, exams, social issues?

Is he actually going to sleep at 11pm, or is he lying awake with some worries?

I would wait for the test results also is school engaging him enough and do they have any concerns.

I think 11pm for a 16 year old is quite exceptable, so i would continue to look into his sleep needs.

I would ask him to keep a diary of his sleep patterns.

JsMum

My son sleeps too much ! He is aged 16yrs and falls asleep at school. After he has had a sleep, for about 20 minutes or so, he is bright and more willing to enagage. I have taken him to the doctor and he will have some blood tests on Monday. The best she could offer tho' was send him to bed at 9.00;pm !?!? It is referred to as somnolence, which is different to fatigue apparently.

He goes to bed at 11.00pn and sleeps through till 7.00am, has a very good diet, all organic, chicken, veg, oats fruit etc. Does anyone else have this problem, and what has been the result ?

Ann

:unsure:

Hi my DS doesnt sleep but hes still a nipper but my partner loves his sleep. I have never known anyone to sleep so much. Hes always been like it according to his mum. She even had him tested for narcolepsy (think thats what its called sleeping disorder) when he was younger but tests were negative. He just loves to sleep he can fall asleep sitting up. His diet is okay he doesnt like vegetables very much and tends to go for sweet and sugar (especially chocolate) he drinks lots of coffee and yazoo milkshake. Hes 32 and very laid back and chilled but he loves his sleep. He has lost jobs before in the past because he found it difficult to get up. I always thought that those on the spectrum had trouble sleeping. I did once suggest to him that perhaps the sleeping was tied to something other than the fact hes a lazy sloth type person :rolleyes:

This thread really caught my eye thanks.