Sign in to follow this  
phoebe

another exclusion

Hello to friends old and new, I have not been around for a while, but I wonder if anyone has any advice for me? PLease!!

My ds has been excluded again and whilst i do not argue with the school that the "crime" deserves a punishment, I would argue that on each occasion that he has been excluded, there have been a series of events that have led up to the incident and all or many of them are down to their mismanagement of his condition.

I have always tried to work with the school and have spoonfed management systems to them, keep them informed of any/all developments and know and understand that they do a difficult job, but at times like these I struggle to appreciate that they are doing the best they can for my son. He has been with them for 6 years and will be moving on to secondary in the near future..... if after knowing him for so long, they cant educate him, what hope do I have???

He is statemented and in a EBD unit within a mainstream school.

Has anyone challenged exclusion/ found a solution to these types of problems?

HE is 9.

(edited to include age)

Edited by phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

I was in the same position as you a few years ago and like you, also felt that the crime deserves a punishment but my thoughts were that...........

because my son had never been able to cope with school full stop, his anxiety levels were sky high whenever he was there. This in turn, resulted in behaviours that led to the exclusions. In our case, the exclusions were a relief as they meant that the underlying cause of the anxiety was taken away IYSWIM. Ultimately, we managed to take him out of the school (mainstream with ASD unit) and secure an educational package to suit him via our LEA and things begun to improve dramatically.

If the school's answer is to keep dishing out exclusions and not even try to get to the bottom of the 'trigger', perhaps the school isn't the right place for your son.

Annie

xx

Hi Phoebe,

Yes, I challenged an exclusion once and although it was just for 2 days, I wrote a letter to the head in which I complained about the punishment because my son's behaviour was a result of his disability and because his needs were not being properly supported. Although my son had to comply with the exclusion, there was later a meeting with the school to address the problem and respond to the issues I raised in my letter and that was what mattered more. It was positive because it led at that time to more awareness of my son's difficulties. In the end I had to change my son to another school anyway, (and now my son is facing other problems in this new school) :tearful: but it is important that you express your views about the exclusion. IPSEA 's website has very good information on exclusion and how to challenge it.

Good luck!

Curra