lisa35

obsession-rune scape

Just wondered when does it becoma an obsession, at the mo, its first thing on lap top in a morning, and tantrums when we get him off it, when was assessed I said no doesnt have obsessions, but guess hje does, and its just that they cahnge!

He happily stay on it 14 hrs!

Lisa

Yes, we have that one too.

He's 14 and he has to call audibly to me if I ask him something (instead of hiding in room and grunting) :rolleyes:

Come off with a pleasent attitude or he loses time next time. :thumbs:

Not argue with brother on runescape and buy stuff off him etc. :wallbash:

He's not allowed on before school :tearful:

I'm trying to use it as motivation for behaviour in school. Good day, free use on comp. :jester:

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi

Just a word of warning - you don't know the meaning of obsession until they move on to World of Warcraft!!!!

Stella

Runescape and world of warcraft have been Bill's obsessions in the past; he's recently moved on to the mario and sonic olympics for the wii. He plays it online against tens of thousands of people worldwide and has managed to come near the top in some of the games.... At first I was relatively happy with his obsession 'cos with the wii it meant he was moving his arms about and at least getting some exercise :unsure: However, some helpful family member bought him a controller for the wii which enables you to just use your fingers on a few buttons... :angry:

I'm still paying the subscription for world of warcraft; I've told him that it will have to be cancelled soon and he didn't batt and eye lid... so there is hope!!!!

flora

Guest Lya of the Nox

at about 12-14 my nt was into runescape and he was obsessed, think it must have some magic power lol

Hi.We obtained world of warcraft after it was made available for free trial in a newspaper. :wallbash: :wallbash:My OH and I soon decided to de-install it.I did a search on the internet after finding that both of our lads were spending ever increasing periods of time playing.It was a major cause of conflict in the house.Incidently I did a search on the web and found several reports about the negative impact of the game on well being including addictive type behaviour.

Karen.

N is still a bit young for Runescape but she is obsessed with her DS - one game in particular. For her birthday last October she got a Charlotte's Web game which remained untouched for about a month (she was into her Nintendogs game at the time), but since she first played it I don't think she has touched her other games. For Christmas she got 2 new games, 1 she has played with once for about 10 minutes, the other is still shrink-wrapped! She would (if we let her) spend all day on it. One day over the holidays she must have spent about 8 hours on it and did we live to regret it as when she had to come off it major tantrum! Normally we restrict how much DS/computer/TV time they have but cos it was the holidays we were a bit more lax.

MMORPGs(Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games) require a significant time investment because success in them relies on co-operating with many others players(between ten to hundreds) to achieve a goal. You also need to play with the same people regulary because those large group goals need a lot of rehearsing so everyone knows what they're doing. Because of this, players have to be flexible with the time they can give their 'guilds'.

You could argue that this is not an 'obsession' in the sense that the pressure to play is not systematic, but social. If you don't turn up to raids, you'll be replaced. If you only ever log in for raids and nothing else, you're holding back the guild and in fact leeching your own progress off their effort.

Some MMO games are more intensive than others. World of Warcraft and Runescape(which is really old, I'm suprised anyone still plays it) are medium. Everquest would be very high time consumption(most players don't appear to have jobs or school).

The least intensive is EVE Online, but it is very complicated and VERY hard, especially if you're new. Advancement takes months, not days, but your character develops skills even while you're not logged in(you only need to log in to earn in-game money). Some players are also pirates and the game allows anyone to attack anyone at almost anytime and in any place. You can actively kill and steal from other players, so it's quite ripe turf for bullying.

In World of Warcraft, my own guild is raiding Karazhan, a ten-man dungeon, which takes about 5 hours to finish and we do every wednesday and thursday. The game allows us to 'save' our progress however. So we do 2 and a half hours on the wednesday night, then the rest on thursday.

My DS is 14, NT. He is on Runescape for most of his waking day, unless he's playing footie. I've seriously considered limiting the amount of time he spends on there, but then I think, he could be out and about, with the other gangs of kids who roam around our estate getting up to no good. Alot of his friends use it too, and I know they arrange social get togethers via the site etc.

Hi Computers seem to rule this household, it quite often does my head in. but then the house is much quieter when he is on it, if he isn't then he goes wild, hyper loud and breaks/wrecks stuff so I would much rather he be on it. it is either the lap top, 2 choices of pc, ps2 or the old playstation and now his ds lite.

Yeap Runescape a firm favourite here, funnily I just mentioned this thread to DS and he says he does not think he is obsessed with it, he says he likes to go on the game to talk to people and to wander around to see if he can find the best players !!! With the PS3 online that is the current obsession, I am not too concern as it gives him opprotunity to practice his social and communciation skills as well as working as part of a team, as his friends are becoming more distant at least he get chance to play and communication with others with simular interests, his activity online is always fully supervised by either myself of DH.

Clare x x x

My ds2 is only 9 so he plays this alone and doesnt mind,he gets enough enjoyment out of it although he did moan that his friend is allowed to chat and interact with others but he plays it when his brother does so is safer.

DS2 loves his dslite and the ps2 , a few days in the holidays it was a job to get him off them but it does keep him quiet and content so I dont mind too much!!

hi Bagpuss

What you said is so true and when my dh complained that AJ was spending all his spare time on WOW I used to say exactly that to him.

Unfortunately AJ completely abandoned his computer 2mths ago and is now out all the time getting up to no good with a gang of idiots!! I know which I prefered cos at least I knew where he was and what he was doing!!

Stella x

Somehow all three of my boys have ended up with a DS Lite each and it's totally bizarre seeing them all playing on their individual games at the same time - it's like they're being hypnotised by some master controller, like the Stepford Wives or something.

I've joked that I should try to tap in to the control, so that I can pass subliminal messages on to them, like 'do your homework' or 'go to bed NOW'...

Edited by BusyLizzie100

Runescape was very big in my house - but they've moved onto World of Warcraft. The skills and friendships they gained were amazing - but my younger NT (10) boy got badly scammed twice on Runescape - and gave it up after that, as he was very upset.

Somehow all three of my boys have ended up with a DS Lite each and it's totally bizarre seeing them all playing on their individual games at the same time - it's like they're being hypnotised by some master controller, like the Stepford Wives or something.

I've joked that I should try to tap in to the control, so that I can pass subliminal messages on to them, like 'do your homework' or 'go to bed NOW'...

I know what you mean.....only one of mine is 43. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi

Like someone pointed out earlier my house is ruled by the games console it has eased a bit since we got a new tv an kieran inherited our bigger one so he spends most of his time with is xbox upstairs which hasnt done me any favours as i like playing Guitar Hero 111 when theres nothing on tv and you do not go in the toxic room of kieran.But he is a Football game and racing game only fanatic.He as currently just changed his obsesssion to St Trinians the new Film.He s bought the CD and the book and DH is taking him to the Cinema hopefully on friday to see it.Now im thinking here the attraction of this film is not the film,the story, being 21 im sure its the girls in it bless him.

lynn

Runescape rules in our house too ... J not allowed on before school and we have to start getting him off at least half an hour before we really need him to finish IYKWIM!