Sign in to follow this  
Stella63

Depakote - any experience of it?

Hi,

Just got back from a private psychiatrist with AJ who is suggesting Depakote to manage his anger. AJ is 15 and always had huge problems with anger management. He has had so many exclusions from school due to bad behaviour and at the end of last term point blank refused to go to school for 2 weeks, he really hates it but apart from home educating (which is not an option for me) there are very few other choices.

We have tried all the NHS facilities, CAHMS, etc and nothing seems to work hence the private route.

I don't like medication but I have seen how Prozac helps OJ with his anxiety and OCD and countless other kids I have worked with so feel that if it helps him to achieve then why not.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience of this I would really appreciate some info.

Thank you

Stella x

Depakote is the American (and European) name for sodium valporate/valporic acid, my daughter takes it (Epilim) for epilepsy, I didn't realise it was used for behaviour (till I googled it) and am surprised as, if you read the epilepsy forums, most parents complain about behaviour deteriorating more than improving on it. My dd also takes Carbamazapine (Tegretol) which is an anti-epileptic and a mood stabiliser (used in bipolar) and that has been much more beneficial on her seizures and her behaviour.

Hope that helps and good luck,

A x