Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

You're further than i got ................. i managed ten pages. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Load of twoddle.

I couldn't even bring myself to spending good money on the book after hearing the silly moo on the radio :angry:

I couldn't even bring myself to spending good money on the book after hearing the silly moo on the radio :angry:

Well the thing is that it had really good reviews on amazon with the exception of one not so good one. That is the reason I bought it, regretting that for sure and am going to be leaving a bad review on amazon once I'm done with it. Definitely going to sell it as I'm not going to read it again and would want to gain back some of the money I spent on it.

On holiday, I read Albert & Emily by Doris Lessing. Half fact, half fiction. The first half is a fictional account of how her parent's lives might have turned out if the First World War had never happened. The second half describes what actually happened, & how the physical & emotional scars of the war affected her too as their child.

Has anyone read, 'The Stone Gods' by Jeanette Winterson? I've just read it and need someone to explain parts of it to me!

Eva

Am about to start This other Eden by Ben Elton, got it for 99p from the comic shop (yay for the sale) :thumbs:

I just finished that a few days ago, very good it is, although not funny like his others.

~ Mel ~

In the middle of Nineteen Minutes by Jodie Picoult. Bit close to home, about a bullied high school child, but they are always an easy read. She is writing by numbers these days though, or maybe she always did.

While I was away I read On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan and Overheard in a Dream by Torey Hayden. Both very good!

Just finished the 'Overheard in a Dream' one........... really enjoyed it.

I liked the style of her writing, and the workings of the brain always fascinates me. Wasn't sure i'd like it as it's her first novel, but i did. :)

Reminded me a little of Jodi Picoult's Keeping the Faith a little....

No one Listened by Isobel and Alex Kerr.

I just finished that one its good. :thumbs:

Hmmmmmmmmmm seems to be lots of Ben Elton readers here - i haven't read any of his. What's a good one to start with????

I'm addicted to Ben Elton at the mo, I've read five of his one after the other, I'm halfway through one and I have two sitting waiting here for me! One of my favs. was 'Past Mortem', really funny! If you're a Big Brother fan, 'Dead Famous' was very good too. Enjoy. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

I've read a couple of Ben Elton's books, at least I think they were by him.... was long ago! One was Gridlock and the other I can't remember the title... it was based on his and his wife's experience of IVF.

Flo' :D

Edited by Flora

well all i have time to read at the mo is:-

EP reports, SALT reports, case statement, statement changes, forms coming through my door for CAMHS, O/T and so on

oh and more school letters every day from my other little man and his hospital letters too

and i am a site manager on a motor bike forum and i write up all the how to machanical guides so not much time for reading for pleasure

I've read a couple of Ben Elton's books, at least I think they were by him.... was long ago! One was Gridlock and the other I can't remember the title... it was based on his and his wife's experience of IVF.

Flo' :D

That was probably Inconcievable. It has pictures of 'tadpoles' on the cover. It was also made into a film called Maybe Baby, with Hugh Laurie, Dawn French and Rowan Atkinson in it. Ironically, it was inspired, in part, by the author's own experiences with IVF (you will see why this is ironic if you read the book).

I read Blind Faith because it was on special offer. It was the first book of his I had read and I enjoyed it so much I decided to read some of his other books. I have several, but I am only just reading the second one now.

He also wrote Blackadder :notworthy:

I'm reading The Road to Wigan Pier - I've read quite a lot of Orwell's work and have enjoyed (if that's the right word) most of it, but this one gives a real sense of his frustrations with the world. I can find myself identifying with some of what he says. I don't like post-death diagnosis of ASDs, but I can kind of see why people have said that Orwell was probably autistic - there's something in his writing style that's very similar to mine (I can't say what exactly, though :unsure: - more just a feeling).

I started reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, but I hated it and gave up at page 20.

Now I am reading Teach Yourself Body Language, but I'm not sure it's particularly helpful because it just seems to gloss over too many different things. I have read the chapter on eye contact, and don't feel I have learned anything I didn't already know about eye contact. I was hoping for tips on how to do normal body language, and I guess it's just not that kind of book.

I'm also reading Mapping the Mind by Rita Carter, which is about the brain. It belongs to my brother. He doesn't know I have it. Hopefully I can return it next weekend and he will never know :devil:

Edited by Tally

Should I lie and say I was reading The Quiet Guy In the Corner by Neil Shepherd? Nah, thought not. :shame:

Currently re-reading Fire In The Valley by Paul Freiberger and Michael Swaine. All techie stuff about the history the PC (I know, I'm dull but it makes me a fountain of outdated knowledge at work)

Edited by TheNeil

Should I lie and say I was reading The Quiet Guy In the Corner by Neil Shepherd? Nah, thought not. :shame:

I read that recently and really enjoyed it :notworthy:

I started reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, but I hated it and gave up at page 20.

S passed that one on to Mr p who has just finished it. Would I like it, I said. Nah, he said.

Shall I lower the tone?

I'm re-reading, because that's what I do towards the end of term when I'm tired and can't take on board many new things.

I've just finished my Tony Hillerman books, and now I'm on John Connolly.

He writes books about a detective with a supernatural twist.

Nuffink educashunal at all.

I've just started 'Inconceivable' by Ben Elton. Don't really like the style it's written in, but I'll stick with it.

~ Mel ~

I read that recently and really enjoyed it :notworthy:

Liar (about the enjoying it bit - I'm sure you're telling truth about reading it (or maybe you're not - I don't know)). It was poorly written, badly thought out and littered with profanity, sex, drink and violence (and somehow, despite all of these plus points, it was still bad :lol: )

[bTW Thanks Tally - I need positive reviews to try and push sales. To date you're the only person who's actually bought it...and I include myself in that statement]

Edited by TheNeil

the bell jar & the perks of being a wallflower :)

I know it's hardly taxing but Adrian Mole and The Weapons of Mass Destruction (and given that I've read the other five books since Saturday, I don't expect it to take long)

Just finished reading Cider with Roadies - biog of music journo Stuart Maconie and laugh aloud funny. Also re reading Angela Carter's Passion of New Eve, that woman sure has a wierd imagination

I'm reading Carry on, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse. The book was printed in 1965 and is priced at 3'6.

Still have 61 books on my To Be Read shelf, but I am getting through them a bit now.