Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Who has time to read books?

Those who contribute to this thread! :D

My holiday read: Figures in Silk by Vanora Bennett.

Only her 2nd book, set in 15th century London & covering the silk trade, Edward IV & Richard III. I loved it.

I finished 'The Dead Father's Club' by Matt Craig last week. Extraorindarily moving, I sat and cried through a lot of it, very well written and very poignant.

~ Mel ~

Finished reading Red Moon Rising (yawn) and figured that I should actually look at something slightly more 'respected' (and try some of that 'education' stuff that I seem to have missed out on). So I dusted down the bookshelf and decided to give George Orwell's Animal Farm a try (I debated over 1984 but the mention of big brother just had me thinking about mindless idiots sat in a house moaning about everything).

I wonder if they'll be singing 'Old Macdonald' at any point? :unsure:

I've just finished "Wired Up Wrong" by this really weird bloke, cant remember his name .... it has truly messed with my head :P

I read that once and I'm now officially insane :wacko:.

The author does seem to be a shining new talent with amazing potential though. Maybe any large publishing firms who are reading this should sign him up quickly with a vast retainer (and I'll have the Aston in silver/grey please) :whistle:

I've just started 'Fat' by Rob Grant. Really funny so far. Was chuckling away in M&S over my cuppa and looking quite mad, I'm sure. :whistle:

~ Mel ~

I've just started 'Fat' by Rob Grant. Really funny so far. Was chuckling away in M&S over my cuppa and looking quite mad, I'm sure. :whistle:

~ Mel ~

I have that! I found it really funny too. :thumbs: I finished it in one day :o

I read that once and I'm now officially insane :wacko:.

The author does seem to be a shining new talent with amazing potential though. Maybe any large publishing firms who are reading this should sign him up quickly with a vast retainer (and I'll have the Aston in silver/grey please) :whistle:

Just employ me as your proofreader next time ok, you know I'm looking for a change of career :P

Just employ me as your proofreader next time ok, you know I'm looking for a change of career :P

Sorry, that job's already taken :P

Sorry Pearl but I've checked Mumble's qualifications and she's perfect in every way :whistle:

Edited by TheNeil

Sorry Pearl but I've checked Mumble's qualifications and she's perfect in every way :whistle:

Does that mean I don't have to worry about getting through the interview process? - you know I'd struggle...

Does that mean I don't have to worry about getting through the interview process? - you know I'd struggle...

I think that we could bypass the interview process in your case...provided that you impressed your new employer :whistle:

Do you have any other questions? :devil:

Edited as I can't spell due to extreme narcolepsy

Edited by TheNeil

I'm reading The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy at the moment, I can relate to it totally because she main character is always late, dissorganised and has a very messy house. Ive read about 2/3 of it in about 6 months so not bad for me these days. Not very mind stretching I'm affraid! I used to go through books at an alarming pace but that slowed when I met DH and totally stopped when the kids came along.

Anyone read " we need to talk about Kevin" I read it last year, it kept me riveted, and I could`nt believe it when the author, cant remember her name at mo! has never actually had children, to write a book such as this was truly incredible in that case. Enid

Enid, it's Lionel Schriver I think. And I do believe she is a woman. I tried reading that book and did not enjoy it at all and could not finish it. It was a best seller though, so I guess I am probably the odd one out there!

At the moment I am reading The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry, and enjoying it.

I'm really proud of B. He could barely read at 7, but his latest choice is Lord of The Rings.

So that's what I'm re-reading at the moment so that we can talk about events and characters and he won't keep telling me off for having a poor memory.

I am about half way through Anything Goes! which is John Barrowman's autobiography. Lots of lovely photos of him.....

Before that I read Chocolat by Joanne Harris which was fab - I am now trying to find a copy of Lollipop Shoes which is the sequel to Chocolat.

Having Born to Run read to me by DD....but I bought the book. If I have to listen to DD read at least it can be something I enjoy!! (Michael Morpurgo book...I really rate him as a children's author. DD met him and had 'Why the Whales Came' signed by him...she is vvv.proud of this). Also got some Geraldine McCaughrean books in line. Can't bear to listen to any more Animal Ark...sooooo formulaic.

Anyone read " we need to talk about Kevin"

Read it for my book club..... took about 200 pages to get into it, then couldn't put it down. Worth persevering with. But I did guess the ending! Son read it too...same criticisms.

wHATS THE BEST BOOK YOU HAVE EVER READ, OR ONE THt changed yr life? For me it was The God Of Small Things by Andarati Roy. I read it and immediately opened it at the start again. I have been an avid reader all my life, but have never sone that before xx

Read it for my book club..... took about 200 pages to get into it, then couldn't put it down. Worth persevering with. But I did guess the ending! Son read it too...same criticisms.

I didn't guess the ending. The last chapter, and the last page in particular, blew me away.

wHATS THE BEST BOOK YOU HAVE EVER READ, OR ONE THt changed yr life? For me it was The God Of Small Things by Andarati Roy. I read it and immediately opened it at the start again. I have been an avid reader all my life, but have never sone that before xx

Oh yes, I loved this one. Such a beautiful, unusual style she has.

Best book ever? Middlemarch. :)

K x

Just finished Going Dutch by Katie Fforde. Undemanding chick lit.

Best book ever? D H Lawrence: The Rainbow. I've reread it at intervals since I was 15, & get something different out of it every time as I get older. For a man who never had children, his description of parental feelings is absolutely spot on.

I've just started "Call of the Wild: My Escape to Alaska", by Guy Grieve. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm really enjoying it - I think it might be more aimed at a male audience (not sure why - just a 'feeling' - I know, Aspies don't have feelings :lol:) but its written in a really 'readable' and engaging way. It's basically, I suppose, an autobiography/travel journal written by the author who, having a gut feeling that there has to be more to life than 'this' (as in 9-5 job, mortgage, wife, 2 kids) chucks it all in and goes to live in the wilderness of Alaska for a year, alone (having no previous experience of survival and never having been to Alaska... :unsure::o).

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I assume he survived as he lived to write the book... :lol: Oh, and it contains a lovely recipe for Beaver Ribs :eat:

Trouble is, reading it, I'd quite like to escape to Alaska now - anyone coming with me? :unsure:

York not cold enough for you then? :lol:

What did the wife & kids do while he was off "finding himself"?

I'm planning a geriatric gap year once theres no one making demands on me.

I like travel/adventure books too, my fave writer is Dervla Murphy, have you tried any of hers? You might enjoy them. Eccentric irishwoman travelling to remote parts on a bike.

I loved that :thumbs:

Oh good, it's nice to have a recommendation. It does look interesting, I've only just finished the author's notes though. :D

~ Mel ~

What did the wife & kids do while he was off "finding himself"?

You know, I must be a terrible aspie type person - I didn't even think about the poor wife and kids (and they were little kids too - 4 and 2 years old I think) - they rented out the house so she had to move as well...

Maybe I'll find out more about them later.

I like travel/adventure books too, my fave writer is Dervla Murphy, have you tried any of hers? You might enjoy them. Eccentric irishwoman travelling to remote parts on a bike.

So long as she didn't take a fridge with her... :unsure:

York not cold enough for you then? :lol:

I just thought I'd see what else was on offer :whistle:

After sitting on the shelf for about six weeks I've finally gotten around to starting An Utterly Impartial History of Britain (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge) by John O'Farrell

Hmm, can't ever remember hostory lessons being like this :unsure: