Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Richard A. Shweder (1991) Thinking Through Cultures: Expeditions in Cultural Psychology

Anna Wierzbicka (2006)English Meaning and Culture

Williams M. and Penman D. (2012) Mindfulness: a practical guide to FINDING PEACE IN A FRANTIC WORLD

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke

The Code of the Woosters by P G Wodehouse. What-ho!

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Concise Competent Crew Guide: A study and revision for the RYA shore-based Competent Crew course by Howard Cheadle

Whole Earth Discipline: Why dense cities, nuclear power, genetically modified crops, restored wildlands, radical science and geoengineering are essential by Stewart Brand

Secondhand-Zeit: Leben auf den Trümmern des Sozialismus (German Edition) by Swetlana Alexijewitsch and Ganna-Maria Braungardt

read more

Edited by Shnoing

Plundering London Underground: New Labour, private capital and public service 1997-2010 by Janine Booth

Wodehouse: A life by Robert McCrum

Someone to Watch Over Me by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

Edited by Aeolienne

David & Goliath: Underdogs, misfits and the art of battling giants by Malcolm Gladwell

Baudolino by Umberto Eco

Autism in the Workplace by Janine Booth, available to download here. I've been tipped off that some of the case studies therein are based on my own experiences!

Just finished Landgericht: Roman (= novel; German Edition) by Ursula Krechel ("Court of Law", about a jewish judge who was expelled during the nazi era, and re-started his carreer after the war, in Germany, with some difficulties)

Prosperity Without Growth: Economics for a finite planet by Tim Jackson

Green Economics: An introduction to theory, policy and practice by Molly Scott Cato MEP

Pathways to 2050: Three possible UK energy strategies by Christine Brown, David Elliott, David Finney, Ian Crossland and Christopher Watson

I'm reading The Magus by John Fowles, as suggested by of one of my lecturers! I find it a really fascinating read, although a bit lengthy. It's about an Englishman who decides to go to Greece to teach children there. Upon exploring the he finds himself caught in a millionaire's intriguing game of political and sexual betrayal and mystery. I think it's really well-written and, if it weren't for my short attention span, I'd find it really hard to put it down!

To Save Everything, Click Here: Technology, solutionism and the urge to fix problems that don't exist by Evgeny Morozov

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin

A difficult question. I have many books on the go at once - with about 3000 to choose from - covering a great range of subjects. I read fiction and poetry too, including 'good' children's fiction. My mind's too active, but it's always been like that, so it's all I know.

The Ecology of Commerce: How business can save the planet by Paul Hawken

Design 2014 by the University of Sussex

reading "all quiet on the western front" by erich maria Remarque,

I'll read anything that society at some point banned. I like to decide for myself.

pretty good so far.

a bit like "bird song" but without the romantic rubbish? :-)

Arsène Lupin, Supérieur Inconnu by Patrick Ferté - for the umpteeth time. It's a lengthy work on the esoteric nature of Maurice Leblanc's novels - the secret meanings behind the popular French stories about the gentleman burglar.

The Voices of LIFE: 20 years of getting things done by Gabriella Camarsa, João Pedro Silva, Justin Toland, Eamon O'Hara, Tim Hudson, Wendy Jones, Job Eldridge, Ed Thorpe and Christophe Thévignot

The Pooh Perplex: A freshman casebook by Frederick C Crews

The 10-Day MBA: A step-by-step guide to mastering the skills taught in top business schools by Steven Silbiger

None :( My attention span has deteriorated a lot since all the trouble began, but I do have a load of books waiting to be finished/read :)

How to Get a Job You Love by John Lees

Conan Doyle is another strong Aspie candidate. I've not read or even heard of that title, but it doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd read late at night :o

I'm reading British Dragons, by Jacqueline Sampson. I find folklore one of the most relaxing subjects to read about, and suits my current limited concentration span. If I dare get involved in one of my polymathic interests (as opposed to my special and general interests) it would tend to take me over for some days at a time. Due to all the trouble in my life at the moment, I'm too unsettled to afford that luxury.

Precious Bane by Mary Webb (the original inspiration for Cold Comfort Farm!)

Yes I know that, Aeolienne! Stella Gibbons did a perfect job in parodying Mary Webb's writing, but she was also inspired by Shiela Kaye-Smith's earthy rural-based novels - The Tramping Methodist undoubtedly inspired Cold Comfort's Amos Starkadder, the hellfire preacher of the Quivering Brethren. I have all Mary Webb's books and know her part of the country very well. (I almost moved to Snailbeach long ago).

I loved the TV adaptation too - very entertaining! Unlike some it was an accurate presentation of the book.

Here's the delightful Amos at his god-fearing best:

(He reminds me of US televangelist and self-proclaimed 'Prophet of God', Brother Stair. Me and my parents used to listen to his ranting short-wave broadcasts for a laugh. There are many more where he came from) .

I wonder if Russell Hoban was also inspired by Precious Bane? His Riddley Walker takes incomprehensible bucolic dialect to an even higher level.