Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

On 1/15/2021 at 5:35 PM, Aut_Scot said:

Are the outsiders who do things differently, people on the spectrum?

Not mentioned as such.

I'm currently reading The Librarian by Salley Vickers.

Edited by Aeolienne
wanted to add the book I'm currently reading

I tend to like books set in an area that I am familiar with, east central Scotland, which includes Edinburgh.  Quite a few well known authors such as Ian Rankin (author of Rebus detective novels, some of which have been on tv) and Irvine Welsh (some of whos books have been turnd into films such as Trainspotting).  Also the Scottish authors Doug Johnstone and  Neil Broadfoot. All the books are set in the present time (rather than historical).

With the lockdown my usual source of books (the library) is closed, so I have been buying books for a change.

Maybe some would say that I should expand my horizon to include works set elsewhere or in other periods of history.  But I enjoy these books and I can picture the places and just about recognise the type of people in them, so they seem more "real" to me.  I experience some difficulty trying to imagine other places, periods of history etc to such an extent that it spoils my enjoyment of fiction set in other places, periods of history etc.  Is this an autistic thing, liking fiction that is not too far outside one's experience of life?

The Many Faces of Science: An Introduction to Scientists, Values and Society by Leslie Stevenson & Henry Byerly

I'm currently reading Sacred Economics: Money, gift & society in the age of transition by Charles Eisenstein.