Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

After sitting on the shelf for about six weeks I've finally gotten around to starting An Utterly Impartial History of Britain (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge) by John O'Farrell

Hmm, can't ever remember hostory lessons being like this :unsure:

I didnt think you were still on the shelf Neil :D

:notworthy: so when did you sleep? :D

lol. Slept rather well thanks, without WoW and the internet to distract me I needed something to occupy my mind. :lol: Now I have internet I have access to the e-books as well! When I have no other distractions I can read between 400-600 pages a day. :thumbs:

I've just read My East End by Gilda O'Neill, which I enjoyed a lot.

Now I am reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis.

I'm reading 'The Brethren' by John Grisham. I started reading it yesterday and I'm about 4 chapters from the end and really enjoying it. :)

Flora

I thought I'd try a 'best-seller' against my better judgement - sorry, someone might like this - and read 'No Time for Goodbye', THE Number One Bestseller!!! or words to that effect. It was dire. Admittedly, there was a large section in the middle of the book which was quite gripping, but the beginning and end were so naff that I wasn't sure whether it was a spoof or not.

Recent books read include 'Asperger Syndrome - a love story', 'The Complete Guide bla di bla' by Tony Atwood, 'Saturday' by Ian McEwan (best read in a day, ha ha - no, seriously) and ''Don't for husbands' (written in 1913). And there are always some cookery books on the go.

Billabong

Perhaps there is a Gremlin in your keyboard :ph34r:

Since my last post in here I have read:

- Fat by Rob Grant

- Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

- Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst

- The biology of the autistic syndromes

- Asparagus Dreams by Jessica Peers

Once lectures start again though I won't have the time to do as much reading as I would like.. Glad I got to read quite a few books while I had the time though :thumbs:

I've just finished "The Black Death" by John Hatcher. :ph34r:

Not exactly a laugh a minute.

Surprisingly dull for such a gripping subject. Found myself skimming it.

im reading cry silent tears at the mo, by Joe Peters, i only brought it yesterday and am well over halfway through it already, my next 1 that i also brought yesterday coz i couldnt pick and thought why not treat myself for once is called please dont make me go by john fenton.

i really love these sort of books, ive read so many, my fave 1s are the torey hayden books but i have read them all!!!

Another historical one, The Other Queen, by Philippa Gregory.

About the early years of Mary Queen of Scots imprisonment, narrated by her, and her jailers, Bess of Hardwick & the Earl of Shrewsbury, who (of course) falls in love with her.

Last week I finished 'Hidden Camera', can't remember the author. Now I've started 'Addition' by Tony Jordan, about a woman who has OCD and has to count everything. Quite funny so far.

~ Mel ~

Lately I have mostly been reading ...

Edwards, Denise: Providing practical support for people with autism spectrum disorder

Which I found depressing. Some fab ideas but I cant see this nirvana happening anytime soon.

Deakin, Roger: Wildwood : a journey through trees .

A lovely gentle book, perfect for bedtime, about the authors life long fascination for trees. I like books that tell you stuff, like how to make a bentwood chair, even though I know I'll never actually do it.

Henderson, Jan-Andrew: The town below the ground : Edinburgh's legendary underground city .

Following my Edinburgh trip I wanted to find out more about all the underground homes & tunnels there etc. I've ordered another one about the McKenzie poltergheist.

Finally, just finished:

Smedley, Keren: Who's that woman in the mirror? : The art of ageing gracefully.

I've decided to age disgracefully instead, much more fun :lol:

I've just finished 'The Water Clock', can't remember the author and can't be bothered to go and look. :whistle: Just started a Ruth Rendell that I found in a charity shop last week.

~ Mel ~

I'm reading the no 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith after I sadly missed it on telly a few months ago.

Just finished The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams, really enjoyed it. About a reclusive moth expert living alone in her crumbling family pile, & her sister returns home after 47 years away. Some very spectrumy characters.

Just starting Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell, historical novel about the battle of Agincourt.

There are 75 peeps behind me on the library waiting list, so I'm guessing no renewal. I'm also guessing the list would be about 150 if everyone had realised it was called AZincourt not AGincourt :lol:

Bride of Frankenstein (BFI Film Classics) by Alberto Manguel. An insight into arguably the greatest film sequel ever made

Just finished Ruth Rendell's 'The Keys to the Street', brilliant! :thumbs: Now started her 'Talking to Strange Men'. Love her books. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

On holiday I read Before I Die by Jenny Downham - about a teemager with terminal cancer - powerful stuff especially towards the end. :tearful:

Ditto The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - can't remember the author. A child's view of the Holocaust. Highly recommended if you're strong enough.

I was halfway through Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier, about William Blake, and went and left the darn thing behind, so I''ll have to buy another copy as I was enjoying it!! :wallbash:

K x

'Onions in the Stew' by Betty MacDonald. Not a cookery book but a funny autobiography of living on Vashon Island in the US in the 1950s. I've read and re-read it so many times since being a teenager and it still makes me laugh.

I'm reading The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. It is about an autistic man who earns a lot of money for his employer with his remarkable abilities, and now his employers want him to try an experimental cure for autism. It's interesting as a novel, and might help explain to another person what autism feels like, but I'm not sure how I feel about the other suggestions in the story. I think the author has become involved with some of the "aspie supremacy" groups who seem to believe that autistic people are somehow superior to non-autistics, and I don't believe that. It also promotes the idea that autistic people have remarkable abilities, and most of us don't.

'The Language of Others' by Clare Morrall. I really enjoyed one of her other novels, 'Astonishing Splashes of Colour' so looked up what she'd written since. Hey, this one happens to be about children and adults with AS! It's good so far. Anyone else read it?

i read the entire Twilight saga in three days last week :D i was wary of it, as i am most things that strange teenagers seem to go nuts for, but it really is very good! now i just have to make a friend so i can take them to see the film in december :unsure:

the first book is the best by a long way but all four are good enough.

i didn't like Nation by Terry Pratchett. i'm a complete pratchett addict, but i just could not get on with that one :(

'The Language of Others' by Clare Morrall. I really enjoyed one of her other novels, 'Astonishing Splashes of Colour' so looked up what she'd written since. Hey, this one happens to be about children and adults with AS! It's good so far. Anyone else read it?

Yes I read it a few months back & think I posted on here somewhere! I'm hopeless at remembering plots but I enjoyed it, with a few reservations.

I bought Dawn French's book 'Dear Fatty' as a present for someone and had a little dip into it last night. It's not your usual autobiography because she's written it via a series of 'letters' to various people. If anyone passes this in a book shop just take a peak at her letters to Madonna, they are hillarious (written in country bumpkin style).... chastising her for her constant refusal to come on the F&S show and the paltry excuses she comes up with (one of which was giving birth to Lourdes and another because she was starring in Evita)...:lol:

Flora

I bought Dawn French's book 'Dear Fatty' as a present for someone and had a little dip into it last night. It's not your usual autobiography because she's written it via a series of 'letters' to various people. If anyone passes this in a book shop just take a peak at her letters to Madonna, they are hillarious (written in country bumpkin style).... chastising her for her constant refusal to come on the F&S show and the paltry excuses she comes up with (one of which was giving birth to Lourdes and another because she was starring in Evita)...:lol:

Flora

:lol: My mum has bought this for me as a Chanukah present, I really like Dawn French :clap:

Just finished Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell, right on its due date! :thumbs:

Very graphic & gory, but I really enjoyed it.

Now how do you think an estimated 6,000 strong english army defeated an estimated 30,000 strong french army?

I won't spoil it for you: read it yourself, its fascinating.

I'm reading The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. It is about an autistic man who earns a lot of money for his employer with his remarkable abilities, and now his employers want him to try an experimental cure for autism. It's interesting as a novel, and might help explain to another person what autism feels like, but I'm not sure how I feel about the other suggestions in the story. I think the author has become involved with some of the "aspie supremacy" groups who seem to believe that autistic people are somehow superior to non-autistics, and I don't believe that. It also promotes the idea that autistic people have remarkable abilities, and most of us don't.

I read this one ages ago - started a thread on it too way back. I thought her portrayal of AS was pretty good, but I thought the ending jarred and ruined the whole book.

K x

After re-reading Graips of Roff I got to hankering for a bit more steinbeck so have been reading Travels with Charley (as an aside, it also reminded me that I hadn't read W H Davies's 'Autobiography of a Supertramp' in years so that'll be my next one... If anyone see's that going cheap anywhere buy it as it's out of print now :()...

Travels with Charley is an account of steinbeck's journey across America with his french poodle, Charley, in a prototype campervan he had built in 1960 (steinbeck, not charley, who might have thought about commisioning a prototype campervan but lacked the communication skills and money to do so!)...

Anyways, read this bit and thought it wonderful and that it deserved sharing:

Sunday morning in a Vermont town, my last day in New england, I shaved, dressed in a suit, polished my shoes, whited my sepulcher, and looked for a church to attend. Several I eliminated for reasons I do not now recall, but on seeing a John Knox church I drove into a side street and parked Rocinante [his camper van, named after Don Quixote's horse] out of sight, gave Charley his instructions about watching the truck, and took my way with dignity to a church of blindingly white ship lap. I took my seat in the rear of the spotless, polished place of worship. The prayers were to the point, directing the attention of the Almighty to certain weaknesses and undivine tendencies I know to be mine and could only suppose were shared by others gathered there.

The service did my heart and I hope my soul some good. It had been long since I heard such an approach. It is our practice now, at least in large cities, to find from our psychiatric priesthood that our sins aren't really sins at all but accidents that are set in motion by forces beyond our control. There was no such nonsense in this church. The minister, a man of iron with tool-steel eyes and a delivery like a pneumatic drill, opened up with prayer and assured us that we were a pretty sorry lot. And he was right. We didn't amount to much to start with, and due to our own tawdry efforts we had been slipping ever since. Then, having softened us up, he went into a glorious sermon, a fire-and-brimstone sermon. Having proved that we, or perhaps only I, were no damn good, he painted with cool certainty what was likely to happen to us if we didn't make some basic reorganisations for which he didn't hold out much hope. He spoke of hell as an expert, not the mush-mush hell of these soft days, but a well-stoked, white-hot hell served by technicians of the first order. This reverend brought it to a point where we could understand it, a good hard coal fire, plenty of draft, and a squad of open-hearth devils who put their hearts into their work, and their work was me. I began to feel good all over. For some years now God has been a pal to us, practicing togetherness, and that causes the same emptiness a father does playing softball with his son. But this Vermont God cared enough about me to go to a lot of trouble kicking the hell out of me. He put my sins in a new perspective. Whereas they had been small and mean and nasty and best forgotten, this minister gave them some size and bloom and dignity. I hadn't been thinking very well of myself for some years, but if my sins had this dimension there was some pride left. I wasn't a naughty child but a first rate sinner, and I was going to catch it.

I felt so revived in spirit that I put five dollars in the plate, and afterward, in front of the church, shook hands warmly with the minister and as many of the congregation as I could. It gave me a lovely sense of evil-doing that lasted clear through till Tuesday. I even considered beating Charley to give him some satisfaction too, because Charley is only a little less sinful than I am...

:clap::clap:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

:D

Brilliant writing! :thumbs: If the whole book is like that I'll read it myself. :)

Don't know Autobiography of a Supertramp.

K x

(steinbeck, not charley, who might have thought about commisioning a prototype campervan but lacked the communication skills and money to do so!)...

Grrommit neever seems to have that problem. maybe Charley wasn't trying hard enough?

Simon

Hi.I just popped in because this book got a very good review in the Saturday Times book supplement.It did not mention that the character had AS but when I checked elsewhere on a hunch I had guessed right.It looks very interesting. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Karen.