Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

I'm reading Shelley's Frankenstein.

An excellent book :thumbs:

I went to Art College during the 1980s in a building where Mary Shelley once lived. (Its no longer an Art College now).

Edited by Aaryk Noctivagus

I'm finding it quite heavy going because it uses very high-level language and some outdated spellings which have thrown me. I often like to read before I go to sleep, which is not when I am at my most alert! But I am enjoying it.

Just finished 'The Kite Runner' - which i thought was fantastic, and not a style i would usually go for. I have never read a a book like this, -that takes your emotions on such a roller-coaster.

Edited by Andy

Appreciating Asperger Syndrome: Looking at the Upside - with 300 Postive Points by Brenda Boyd

After recent comments made to me I thought I'd better read this :lol:

I thought it might be a bit "Pollyanna" ish, but it wasn't. Its written by the mum of Kenneth Hall, who wrote Asperger Syndrome, the Universe & Everything, & it turns out she was dx'd with Aspergers herself a couple of years ago. So a lot of the book is about her own journey to diagnosis & coming to terms with it.

Without minimising the difficulties, she seeks to put a really positive spin on being AS. The final part of the book is a whole section of things often thought of as "problems" but looked at in a positive light, if that makes sense.

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - a stonking great doorstep of a historical novel which takes the genre to a new level. A very sympathetic portrait of Thomas Cromwell who facilitated Henry VIII's divorce. Absolutely loved it, only problem, HUGE waiting list at the library so had to finish it in 3 weeks when really I needed 4 to truly savour it.

And my holiday read:

A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin. Another historical one, wouldn't normally read two on the trot but again a waiting list at the library :rolleyes: This one was about the life of Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV, & her brother Anthony who was the guardian of Edward V, one of the princes in the Tower. It was interspersed with a story from the present day about the historian researching them.

hi, i am reading

find out about asperger syndrome hight functioning autism and pdd, by gunilla gerland, and then an audio book harry potter book 4,

caz

'At my mothers knee and other low joints - Paul O'Grady' a bit low brow here. But an OK read when lying on the beach with no kids, going to graduate to Peter Kaye and Alan Carr soon if the sun keeps shining in the evening !

Edited by cathyz

Digby Tantam : Understanding Repeated Self-Injury

A very compassionate book, written for professionals but accessible to the lay person. I learned a lot & would highly recommend it.

A Ball, a Dog, and a Monkey by Michael D'Antonio

Another day, another book about the space race :whistle:

This weekend I read The Whole Day Through by Patrick Gale, and now I am reading Fathers and Sons by Richard Madely.

CROAK by Robin Evans. It's one of the old Hamlyn paperbacks from 1981. I'm a horror and fantasy addict! :dance:

Asperger Syndrome & Anxiety: a guide to successful stress management

Nick Dubin

An excellent resource. The author is AS and has amongst a shedload of qualifications a degree in Psychology.

It looks particularly at the role that AS-adapted CBT can play in coping with anxiety, and there's also a very useful chapter on meltdowns too.

Nella Last's War by Nella Last.

Diary of a 49 year old housewife during WW2. It was made into a TV movie by Victoria Wood a while ago.

A really fascinating read. I love going to the Imperial War Museum and seeing how people lived their daily lives during the war, so it's great to read one person's experience - she documents her life in so much detail, and writes really well. Her account expresses the hardship and the real fear which ordinary people felt as the war unfolded, something that's easy to forget when we look back on it.

K x

I love that book Kathryn. Read it years ago, then re-read it recently after the TV adapatation.

Have you come across the sequel which was only published recently, "Nella Last's Peace"?

There's also the Mass Observation books that have been published over the last few years, looking at the experiences of a dozen or so of their best writers during the war & post-war years, but the titles escape me for the moment.

"in the footsteps of churchill" is one book, ive just finished reading "not stupid" about a family who devised their own eduation system for many autisitcs in the hillingdon (sp?) area of london.

Also read lots of aspie/dummies books.

Alexis

Re-reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin want to have them all re-read before the fifth book comes out in October :thumbs:

Hey I have those books too--haven't read them yet (I'm in horror mode at the moment :D ). I take it they're good then?

I'm reading The Nursery by Lewis Mallory.

I love that book Kathryn. Read it years ago, then re-read it recently after the TV adapatation.

Have you come across the sequel which was only published recently, "Nella Last's Peace"?

No I hadn't come across the sequel, so thanks for that Pearl, I'll look out for it. :)

K x

Hey I have those books too--haven't read them yet (I'm in horror mode at the moment :D ). I take it they're good then?

I'm reading The Nursery by Lewis Mallory.

I really enjoyed them, have read them about 10 times each so far. :thumbs:

Hello

(tally yes i am the alexis you know).

i have an AiA gluten and dairy free cookbook for sale or swap. Interested? PM me for details of what autism related books you have or what you would be willing to pay for it.

Alexis

Paradise Lost by Laurence James.

Parasite by Richard Lewis.

Night Killers by Richard Lewis.

re-reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- JK Rowling (hate her writing style but still find myself reading the books), Priestess of the White - Trudi Canavan (can't recommend her books enough. the magicians trilogy is great for 12yrs+, the age of 5 more for adults though) and The Fifth Elephant - Terry Pratchett :notworthy:

Hi

I'm reading Why are they so weird? what's really going on inside a teenager's brain by Barbara Strauch.

Whilst the title is a little off-putting, it is actually a very scientific book about how the brain develops and new (as of 2004!) discoveries about it. I am finding it fascinating and very good at explaining teenagers' seemingly unpredictable and irrational behaviour.

At the ripe old age of 53 I have finally got round to reading J.M.Barrie's Peter Pan! I really enjoyed some of the odd asides.

Now started to read Peter Pan in Scarlet, the official sequel, by Geraldine McCaughrean. one of my favourite children's authors

along with Michael Morpurgo......both good for adults too...or have I never grown up either?

I've been reading a lot lately. I have recently read Nick Hornby's How To Be Good, followed by a book about wild cats. Now I am reading Simon Baron-Cohen's The Essential Difference, though I'm not far enough into it to give an opinion yet.

Alison lapper "my life in my hands"

Dummies series "anxiety and depression for..."

"the little book of no"

"the highway code" lol

Alexis

AHHHH!!! I don't know, I don't know! I got seven books in the post this morning and can't decide which to read first!!!!!!!!! :(

Okay, sorted: The Santuary by Glenn Chandler :D

Edited by LordGorse

AHHHH!!! I don't know, I don't know! I got seven books in the post this morning and can't decide which to read first!!!!!!!!! :(

Okay, sorted: The Santuary by Glenn Chandler :D

"the little book of no" is a good book if you find yourself being too passive with people.

Alexis