Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Got to try and read Wuthering Heights before 9pm Sunday (when the new ITV two-parter starts) :o

WOW You missing out if you haven't read weathering heights did it for literature in my final year at school, it's lovely, sure you will find it better than the ITV programme I will watch it too though. I am studying at the moment so no chance to read anything other than my course books.

I read Wuthering Heights when I was 30 and I must confess that I didn't particularly enjoy it. It just seemed to be about a bunch of unpleasant, often violent, people arguing a lot and marrying their cousins. I found myself wishing that some brash New York therapist or self-help author like Ellen Fein or Sherrie Schneider would just breeze in and say: "You need to get out more! Get away from Yorkshire and DON'T CALL HIM!"

Incidentally, "Weathering Heights" was once suggested as a name for the Met Office's new HQ in Exeter. ;-)

I'm currently reading Frugal Food by Delia Smith.

Finished reading whether NASA sent a man to the moon (my conclusion? I don't actually care anymore)(although I am quite certain that no cows have ever been to the moon, and someone once sent rockets somewhere...probably :unsure: )

If NASA sent cows into orbit, they'd be the herd shot around the world. :lol:

I'm currently reading:

The Art of the Story: An international anthology of contemporary short stories edited by Daniel Halpern

Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering your right livelihood by Marsha Sinetar

I'm reading Warhorse by Michael Morpurgo. It's great.

The play is wonderful - left me in floods of tears!

I've just finished The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - it's a short story so only took me about 20 mins. Now I'm wondering what the film is like.

K x

Finished Pies and Prejudice (load of [insert rude word here] - Stuart Maconie spent an entire chapter waffling on about Wigan and then devoted the same amount of space the entire North East).

Not only that, he claimed Hebden Bridge is the Hampstead of the North. Surely Totnes is the most appropriate comparison?!

QUOTE (Bagpuss @ Jan 17 2008, 03:19 PM)

I collected The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time yesterday from the library, thinking eldest dd would enjoy it.

I'd def. recommend reading it to your DD, it's incredibly moving and poignant.

~ Mel ~

I didn't like The Curious Incident at all. The main character was annoying and the plot too implausible. I didn't even find it funny. The scene where Christopher goes onto the tube tracks and lashes out at a passenger who tries to pull him up made me feel sick.

I'm currently reading Religion for Atheists: A non-believer's guide to the uses of religion by Alain de Botton.

Edited by Aeolienne

Lord of the Rings still goes down as my all time favourite though.

http://danny.oz.au/danny/humour/phd_lotr.html

I'm currently reading What it Feels Like to be me by Jenny Salaman Manson.

just read, anthony bourdain kitchen confidential it had a good pace, will buy the follow up, Medium Raw at a later date.

just got solutions for adults by juanita p. lovett. hope its better than aspergers for dummies.

Harmful to Minors: The perils of protecting children from sex by Judith Levine

The Equality Illusion: The truth about women & men today by Kat Banyard

Uncle Tungsten: Memoirs of a chemical boyhood by Oliver Sacks

I once had to translate a barcode reader manual into French. Can't say I'd have done it for fun, though.

I'm about to read 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Greene.

Edited by Mannify

Still on a metallic theme, from W to Ag...

Silver on the Tree by Susan Cooper

I've just finished Aspects of Asperger's: Success in the teens and twenties by Maude Brown and Alex Miller, and have begun A Favourite of the Gods by Sybille Bedford.

Intrigue à l'anglaise by Adrien Goetz (in French, obviously).

It makes a bit fun of the museum shop at Bayeux, where I did buy it. :D

Advanced JavaTM Platform: How to program by H.M.Deitel, P.J.Deitel and S.E.Santry

The Interpretations by David Shaw Mackenzie, autographed copy - I know the author through my local conservation volunteers group

Molesworth (omnibus edition) by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle

Molesworth (omnibus edition) by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle

When I was reading that at the bus stop a random stranger asked me if I was reading a book about politics. I told him, "No, it's a satire of '50s public schoolboy life." Then again... ;)

I'm now reading Maverick! The success story behind the world's most unusual workplace by Ricardo Semler.

Moby-Duck: The true story of 28,800 bath toys lost at sea by Donovan Hohn

I've just finished reading "What Do Women Want" (Adventures in the science of female desire) by Daniel Bergner (ISBN 978 1 78211 256 3). It quite interesting. I picked it up and was straight away compelled to read it. It's a very good book.

I'm also reading "What it means to be Human" by Joanna Bourke (ISBN 987-1-84408-645-0).

I often have several books on the go at the same time.

I often have several books on the go at the same time.

I have a whole "back list" of unfinished books. Starting with Thomas Mann's "Magic Mountain".

The good news: I've just finished Ian Morris.

Les Druides is it when I'm awake; when tired, TP's Sourcery (re-read)

I'm into Chelsea Cain at the moment, just read two of hers back to back, looking for my next but my library is very limited in it's stock.

~ Mel ~

152 Wild Things to Do by Helen Babbs and the Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts

I once had to translate a barcode reader manual into French. Can't say I'd have done it for fun, though.

I once translated the advice leaflets from some tubes of eye ointment from German into English. The opthalmologist who'd treated me for keratitis (I was on holiday in Bavaria) had advised me to avoid reading, so I'd spent the journey back playing cards instead. He hadn't explicitly forbade me from using my computer, so I reckoned it was legit for me to type my translation.

I'm currently reading Money Down the Drain: Getting a better deal for consumers from the water industry by George Turner, available to download here.

The Ghost Stories of M R James

Illyrian Spring by Ann Bridge