Flora

Indestructable stress balls/toys

Bill is a fiddler. If he doesn't have something to fiddle with he chews and stretches his clothes or other items that we don't want him to break!! (usually dd's necklaces and bracelets that she leaves lying around :rolleyes:) Ordinary stress balls last about 10 minutes (I'm not exagerating). He got one for christmas which I thought was going to do the job.... it lasted about 2 hours (it was a squeezy one with a net over it and it sort of squeezed like pustulent spots through the net... it was fab)... but like all of them it burst.

Does anyone know of a squeezy, indestructable stress ball? Not a hard one or he won't use it, but something squishy that you can fiddle with and it won't break ?( :shame: but keep it clean :lol: )

Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

Flora

Would a pet toy work? :unsure: (removing all the labels first so he doesn't know it's a pet toy . . . :whistle:). Some of those are sold as virtually indestructable.

My ds OT gave him some putty - to help his fine motor skills. If you can get past how it might feel (if he's sensitive) this might be of some use. The putty comes in different strengths - easy to mould up to difficult I suppose?.

Our OT gave us theraband. It is amazing stuff. My girl has 2 pieces of it, one really thick and one thinner. The thinner one she wears like a bracelet around her wrist. She can pull it, manipulate it and chew it. My girl should road test toys as she destroys anything, but she has not been able to munch her way through this or destroy it. This theraband is the only thing the school have found that she can have that does not affect her concentration, in fact they insist it helps and ask for it when we have forgotton it one day.

My girl can't have many sensory toys either because of the chewing and destruction, but I have found some baby toys usefull, normally the birth to 1yr ones. Take the labels off and she does not tell the difference. Tommy Tippie do a baby version of the tangle toy for babies. It does the same thing only it does not come apart and cant be chewed through.

I really sympathise with you, as we have had so many difficulties finding virtually indestructable sensory toys. >:D<<'>

C has tried a few. The putty was good, but TBH he likes a big ball of Blu-tack best. It's cheap, cheerful, readily available and replaceable and you can have it any size you wish.

Apparently, according to C, it's even better when it's been in your pocket a while and picked up some fluff because then it's fuzzy and furry like a dog and you can stroke it when you're angry! Well, he knows best :rolleyes: .

N also loves blutac. She tends to have small pieces of it which she fiddles with in her hand. Thing is we have to watch her as a couple of times a piece (or 2) have disappeared up her nose! Last time this happened we were on the verge of taking her to A&E when she managed to blow it out.

She got one of those balls in a net for Xmas but it burst within a day - she squeezed it VERY hard so it didn't go back to it's correct shape so she poked it and it burst all over her bedroom carpet :oops:

I will have to try her with a theraband.

(it was a squeezy one with a net over it and it sort of squeezed like pustulent spots through the net... it was fab)... but like all of them it burst.

I got my Ds the same stress ball, there was goo all over his hands before we got home :oops: , just glad he didn't wipe his hands all over the car seat :shame:

Guest Lya of the Nox

I wish!!! meggzie kills them all :wallbash:

we have had some off the special needs sites too i will pm u the one that has survived the most, but it maybe cos she dont like it lol

x

My son burst one at school this week. He has another one similar to the one you described but filled with air so at least no mess if it goes pop. I was going to suggest silly putty too though it can make a mess if it gets stuck on the carpet. My son tends to chew or mouth everyhting and I worry about choking

Lx