oxgirl

Independence progress........

We've got really good at the 'I'm just popping over to the shop, be back in five mins' stage and now he copes very well and stays at home on his own for that. He doesn't even bother phoning me anymore, so that's really great. :thumbs:

Yesterday, DH called me, as he was on the train and he wanted me to pick him up from the station, which is five mins drive away. Jay was happily watching telly and enjoying his snack. I put it to him that I could go on my own to pick up DH and he was very reluctant and ummed and ahhed for a bit. I said I'd drive there and phone him as soon as I got there and then, when the train got in, I'd phone him again to let him know I was on my way back. Well, he agreed! :thumbs::notworthy: He'd have totally freaked out at the suggestion a few months ago, I was so pleased with him!

It went really smoothly and when we got back he said he'd felt a bit nervous as I was driving away but not too bad, so I feel that's another really big step for us. Seems very different, me driving away, rather than just strolling to the shop, which is only two mins away. :P

Also, today in town he needed a new ruler so, as we were going into the shop, I said, 'I'll let you get what you want and meet you by the door' and off he went as confident as you like! :thumbs: Before he would have panicked if he'd lost sight of me in a shop and would have run around shouting for me, but he strode off and found what he wanted and went to the til to pay, found there was a long queue so took himself off to a different til. I was hiding behind a rack of books keeping an eye out and, when I saw he was ready, I strolled eeeeeeeeever so nochalantly over to the door to meet him and it felt very good. :dance:

My baby is growing up. :tearful::wub::clap:

~ Mel ~

Mel, it's like a snow ball effect isn't it?

I did the same with Bill and now I can go and do a proper food shop without him. We still have to go through the 'how to keep safe routine'. ie, don't answer the door to anyone, only answer the phone if you know it's me (we have caller display), don't try to make toast or use the microwave (he has caused fires with both of them in the past).

It makes life easier all round.

Well done Jay and Mel >:D<<'>

Flozza x

Mel,

How fantastic is that !!!! I have been following your progress and think you have done brilliantly building J's confidence as for for the young man himself WOW....he's dong soooooo well.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Clare x x x

As with claire I have also followed ur progress what a big change from the summer when you were doing the poping to the shops training! Well done to both of you! >:D<<'>