brooke

first swimming lesson

My son had his first swimming lesson today and did really well. I'd been trying to get private lessons for him for a while and couldnt find any so decided in the end to try him at the local pool. Im really glad i did as he loved it and was pretty good. Im so pleased he is now learning to swim :thumbs:

Great :thumbs: :thumbs:

I remember my first swimming lesson (and in my defence, I'd never been to a swimming pool before :rolleyes:). I just thought everyone could swim. I found this wasn't the case when they had to fish me out of the deep end! :oops:

Thats fantastic, brooke.

Swimming is a favourite of my daugher, i hope he continues to enjoy it it has done wonders for my daughters confidence.

nic

I remember my first swimming lesson (and in my defence, I'd never been to a swimming pool before :rolleyes:). I just thought everyone could swim. I found this wasn't the case when they had to fish me out of the deep end! :oops:

yes well on holiday he ran away from dad and decided to jump in the deep end of the pool :o and it wasnt untill he was sinking he realised he couldnt swim. A fully dressed man jumped in and got him thank goodness :oops: so im very pleased he is learning and enjoying it!!!

i am absolutely terrified of water.when Flynn was 2 1/2 he fell into a ft deep paddling pool.he was unconscious when pulled out(ill spare you the details).he was fine a few days later and really wanted to go back in.hes been swimming since and was fine with it.i really need to overcome my fear of water though.

:thumbs: He's off to a good start brooke!

JP can swim but isnt particularly interested in doing it.

Me, I've even tried adult lessons & can't. I'd love to be able to.

That's great!

I can swim but not very well. I'm really short and panic when I can touch the floor without the water going over my head. I nearly drowned the first time I went in the deep end.

Glad he's enjoying it >:D<<'>

When my son was baby the first thing I done was put him in the water and duck him under, I made it a game and he was 4 months at the time, he's never looked back, at 8 years and on his first diving off the boards lesson he jumped off the top board........he's just not afraid!!

My daughter was a bit harder as she would be typically scared off the deep end, her brother is now teaching her to dive!! On the other hand I am rubbsih at swimming.

Swimming can give so much enjoyment so I' really pleased your son is enjoying it >:D<<'>

Learning to Swim was marvellous, but I didnt do so until I was 14 because I was petrified of water. Now I can swim its a whole lot better, Swimming is certainly a confidence booster.

Unfortunately I am unable to swim after a traumatic experience that occurred when I was in primsry school. The class was taken to the local swimming pool and even though I protested I was forced to go even to the point where hey got my mother to make sure I was on the coach because I ran away.

Whilst at the pool one of the teachers thought I was messing about as I wouldn't get in the water so he actually threw me in the pool and the result was that I had to be rescued from drowning. That memory is as vivid as if it happened an hour ago and since then I have never been in water, I was such a problem after that that while my class went to the pool I was placed with another class.

Reading the tread I thought my story relevant so thought I'd share the experience.

Interesting. I too was put off swimming for life by my school experience. My extreme phobia began on the very first day I entered that terrifying old Victorian building as a timid 8-year old. Even before I entered the pool I was terrified. I felt as I was being punished for some reason, led there like a lamb to slaughter. My sense were overwhelmed. Everything about the place was alien and caused me intense anxiety. The echoing, the smell of chlorine, the cold uninviting cubicles, the wetness everywhere, the changing and drying routine, the rusting railings, etc. The teacher, a cold-hearted authoritarian woman, forced me down those deep steps until I was chest-high in cold water. I had many bad experiences during the 'teaching' process itself. Until the bullying began a couple of years later, swimming was the biggest trauma I had suffered.

Like most of my rites of passage it was extremely traumatic and I still suffer the scars. My mother couldn't swim, and brother too never learnt to swim as a child, but did so later in life and thoroughly enjoyed it. He could swim like a fish and often visited the Black Sea, the Yugoslav coast, Lake Balaton in Hungary and Lake Ohrid on the Albanian border. Swimming was his life, yet, ironically his life ended by drowning. :(

The fact that none of my family can swim either probably contributed to me not being able swim as well.

We had never been a family to go anywhere near water but I wonder now if my adverse reaction to crowds influenced their decision to avoid beaches whilst on holiday so I could have been partially responsible there.

That didn't stop us from going to beaches. My dad swam about while the rest of us paddled or stayed on dry land watching from a safe distance :)

I think I was probably too much of a problem in busy places so they went where they could with me. I still feel guilty about that.

Luckily we spent our holidays in quiet places and out of the way beaches. I could only take a certain amount of going round shops before I started getting restless, complaining, wanting to go home, dragging my parents away, etc. I never changed in that way throughout their lives.

I've never changed either it's something I have tried to do throughout my adult life but am now content that it never will.