Mumble

Greenwich Meetup

What are you wearing, Smiley?

Boho :clap:

I haven't a clue!! :lol: I don't do forward planning, never mind fashionable!

I can make Helena Bonham Carter look organised & conservative! :partytime:

It'll either be flippity-floppy-wafty-hippy-dippy, and/or comfy jeans n top............... depending on my mood that morning, and the weather!

:dance:

You wearing the preddy dress? :clap:

(And - i'm loving the garjuss man on your avvy................ ;) )

Just a quick hi from me as I realise I haven't popped in here for a while. I'm still coming next weekend. It has been very hectic up here of late so not had time to get on the forum. My mum wasn't well for a while though is slowly on the mend now (I think she is still coming with me at the moment though it will depend on how this week goes). School has been busy and typically everything has come at once. BTW I have a more permanent role at my school now. Am contracted for 3 days a week and 2 mornings. Most of that time I'll be in the class I've been working in recently. Chances are I'll be in for the afternoons as well but they can't guarantee that. They normally need some supply staff though. Also been quite active in a healthy way. Doing a lot of kayaking and other activities at the moment. Last weekend I was on an activity camp ran by a church I used to go to when I was younger. Then monday was out with scouts, tuesday with school and thursday with the kayak club. At least I'm slowly getting fitter again. This week I'm away for the back end of the week on a residental trip with school. As I said everything comes at once. Me and mum should be flying down on saturday then will make our way across London. Looking forward to seeing you all again. Will catch up properly down in London. Sorry not popped in for a while. I'd better get to bed now was just doing a couple of jobs and thought I'd better say hi. I'm shattered. All the best, David.

I know it's really late in the day but would there be room for a small spiky one?

I've got next weekend free and might be able to make it. The only things really stopping me are travelling (I suppose if I'd got off my bony ass and sorted somthing out earlier then it wouldn't be a problem but that's the problem when you've got a bony ass and you don't know what you're doing) and the ever constant threat of rain.

If not then can I put my name down for the meet-up after that (honestly, one of these days I will make it to London - I can't wait to see the pearly kings and queens, see my reflection in the gold paved streets etc. :devil:)

Be smashing to meet up again if you could make it TN :thumbs:

DH will be relieved and you would provide the perfect distraction for me to sneak off to pub :clap::lol:

You did say you loved children didn't you? :devil:

TN - I'm am delighted you're coming along to Greenwich. :thumbs:>:D<<'>

And of course, it's because i'd like to meet you ...................... nothing to so with the fact Baggy can come along for drinkies.............. :lol::devil:

:D

Be smashing to meet up again if you could make it TN :thumbs:

DH will be relieved and you would provide the perfect distraction for me to sneak off to pub :clap::lol:

You did say you loved children didn't you? :devil:

Oh I love children...especially when they're several hundred miles away :devil:

Looks like Mr Bagpuss is going to be disappointed I'm afraid as, after much hunting around on the various train timetable sites there appears to a distinct lack of trains going from Harrogate to the big smoke of a weekend (well a distinct lack of trains that I won't be sat on for at least 8 hours (and not cost in the region of �200 :o )). Even looked at driving part way (i.e. Peterborough) and jumping on the train for the last bit but there aren't any direct trains between Peterborough and Kings Cross next weekend (I don't understand that - weekdays and they run every 15 minutes and take under an hour but at the weekend, up to three changes and it takes 2 hours :blink: )

So it looks like I'll have to give Greenwich a miss (again). Now then, did someone mention York... :whistle:

And of course, it's because i'd like to meet you .....

You say that now but once people have experienced The 'TheNeil Experience' then their attitude tends to change.

It's only following the first Newcastle meet-up that Bagpuss turned to...:wine: (she assured everyone that she was practically a nun beforehand and that it was all my fault...as per usual :devil:)

Oh I love children...especially when they're several hundred miles away :devil:

Looks like Mr Bagpuss is going to be disappointed I'm afraid as, after much hunting around on the various train timetable sites there appears to a distinct lack of trains going from Harrogate to the big smoke of a weekend (well a distinct lack of trains that I won't be sat on for at least 8 hours (and not cost in the region of �200 :o )). Even looked at driving part way (i.e. Peterborough) and jumping on the train for the last bit but there aren't any direct trains between Peterborough and Kings Cross next weekend (I don't understand that - weekdays and they run every 15 minutes and take under an hour but at the weekend, up to three changes and it takes 2 hours :blink: )

So it looks like I'll have to give Greenwich a miss (again). Now then, did someone mention York... :whistle:

:( How do I console DH? :tearful: .......he was excited about the endless discussion on the merits of Middlesbrough :P

Come on, cadge a lift from someone Oop North :thumbs: Fly? :unsure: Hitch? :unsure:

You know you want to :devil:

You say that now but once people have experienced The 'TheNeil Experience' then their attitude tends to change.

It's only following the first Newcastle meet-up that Bagpuss turned to...:wine: (she assured everyone that she was practically a nun beforehand and that it was all my fault...as per usual :devil:)

As if, me, drink, never :o ......next you'll be saying I couldn't find a blumming huge clock slap bang in the middle of a town centre :shame:

Anyway, I blame KarenT, not you dear spikey haired one...and why...for no reason other than she never ventures into the Greenwich thread, so I can :P

So far looks like rain all week :crying:

Sssshhhhhhh, swearing isn't allowed on the forum :P

Actually, it looks like you're right - I got this from the met office website:

"UK Outlook for Friday 11 Jul 2008 to Sunday 20 Jul 2008:

Friday and Saturday will be unsettled with some sunshine, but also showers or longer outbreaks of rain."

:(

Maybe we should come up with a wet weather plan, because Greenwich park is definitely open to the elements. Hopefully we won't need to use it but it will be as well to have one. As people have bought train tickets etc. we still need to be in Greenwich, and as this is weather dependent, we don't want anywhere we book, but somewhere we can decamp to if the weather turns nasty.

*Scratches head in thought*

Only things I can think off the top of my head are the museums at the bottom of the park or up the (correct) hill. I don't know how much space they have for groups, though, and it could be busy around there because of the new wheel. :unsure: Does anyone have any suggestions? (that do not include a recreation of the tunnel celebrations ....)

*Goes away to do more thinking*

I've been getting abit worried about the weather too, especially with having the kiddies with us.

I'm getting abit nervous about what us Baggies will do if it's raining :(

Doubley so with the tubes being affected :(

I'm getting abit nervous about what us Baggies will do if it's raining :(

But you're Northerners. If you can't cope with a little rain, what hope do us Southern wussies have? :unsure::lol:

if it rains then Picnic in my car!! :lol:

or if we all turn up dirty then the rain is ok as we can get shower gel out and have free shower!!

Under the tent covering the Burnt Out Wreck???

But you're Northerners. If you can't cope with a little rain, what hope do us Southern wussies have? :unsure::lol:

But my extra large all weather proof flat cap is at the dry cleaners :tearful:

Don't suppose there is a child friendly pub in the vicinity? :D

Positive vibes everyone - I didn't go last year, but I seem to remember you got the ONLY sunny day of the summer.

Start praying to the weather angel (like the parking angel but you invoke her for picnics instead) :pray:

Positive vibes everyone - I didn't go last year, but I seem to remember you got the ONLY sunny day of the summer.

We did. :) It depends how much rain/drizzle peeps can cope with. I personally am fine except if there's a torrential rainstorm and the mud comes down the hill, but I guess it won't be great for others. The weather forecast is a little better going towards the end of the week (i.e. no advanced weather warnings ....) :unsure: Hopefully we will escape it being like this!

Don't suppose there is a child friendly pub in the vicinity? :D

Well I wouldn't know about that, I never go out drinking or to pubs or any such activity. Totally innocent me. :drunk::lol:

The main problem is the numbers - if we wanted to go to an indoor place we would have to book, but (I think) we don't want to go to an indoor place unless the weather is bad. I did do a search for child friendly pubs in Greenwich. It only came up with one which said it was child friendly because it had an outdoor play area where you could leave the kids whilst the adults had a civilised drink .... I think that may not be appropriate. Since when would people here have a 'civilised' drink. :lol::P

What is our final head count? I found the latest list and updated it to give:

Baggy

Baggy (Mr)

Baguette 1

Baguette 2

Baguette 3

Bard

Bid

Hev

Kathryn

Kellyanne

llisa32

Mumble

NickiSmith

Pearl

Pearl's JP

SG

Smiley

Smiley's Friend

Soraya

Tally

Warren

That's 21 in total. I didn't know about BD & Ben? Have I missed anyone else? :unsure:

Baggy

Baggy (Mr)

Baguette 1

Baguette 2

Baguette 3

Bard

Bid

DMB

Hev

Kathryn

Kellyanne

llisa32

Mumble

NickiSmith

Pearl

Pearl's JP

Sallya

Sallya's ickle ones

SG

SG's Mum

SG's Friend Robin

Smiley

Smiley's Friend L

Soraya

Tally

Warren

That's 26+ (don't know how many ickles Sallya has) in total now.

Ooh Mumble, colour co ordinated and alphabeticised. :notworthy: Shall we try for that in RL? :lol: *goes to look for red clothes*

Edited by pearl

Ooh Mumble, colour co ordinated and alphabeticised. :notworthy: Shall we try for that in RL? :lol: *goes to look for red clothes*

Not a problem! Most of my clothes are blue :lol:

:unsure: :unsure: I've been trying to ignore the weather reports :ph34r: then some bloke sitting right in front of me earlier, opened his newspaper and the headline 'Summer will be a washout' was laughing at me..................

Fingers, eyes, elbows, ankles, knees, ears................crossed. :pray::unsure:

Me and my little lot will still be there :thumbs:

:unsure: :unsure: I've been trying to ignore the weather reports :ph34r: then some bloke sitting right in front of me earlier, opened his newspaper and the headline 'Summer will be a washout' was laughing at me..................

I hope we don't get flooded like last summer. Don't think I could cope with being without water for 2 weeks again like last time :unsure:

Click - & scroll down to Saturday..............

We might just get away with it.......................... :pray:

I've looked at that three times today (obsessive or what ..... :wacko: (actually I'm not, I just don't want them Norverners to be able to say anyfing about our Souvern wevver) :rolleyes:) and it's got better :clap: each time :thumbs: - the rainfall has gone down (although so too have the temperatures :( ) Thing is, if it continues what it's doing at the moment for much longer, there won't be any rain left in the sky for Saturday :thumbs::lol:

Oh well - at least the boating lake will be full. There, who said I wasn't an optimist :D:lol:

from these charts you can see why we have a problem......

weather charts

a nice series of lows becoming one big complex low that is relatively stationary on thursday. Hopefully it will move enough for the high pressure in the atlantic to move over uk for nice weather.

wet weather plan...science museum?

A lot of people have train tickets to Greenwich (as opposed to travel cards) so it would be unfair on them - I did think about science museum, but it's the other side of London and with travel disruption could take up to 1 1/2 hours to get to from Greenwich and getting 26+ people to change plans and go to a different place and communicate change on the day could be disastrous (not least because anyone on tubes won't get a mobile signal).

Looking at the weather forecasts, I think it may be more a case of showers so deciding if it rains there - in which case I would suggest we decamp in groups to either the National Maritime Museum or the Observatory - they're both free, both in the park, and then if the sun comes out again we can regroup. Does that sound OK? :unsure:

I've just been given a recipe for some vegan (so dairy free) cookies. All I have to do is substitute the flour, pray hard, and GFCF cookies will abound!

I've just been given a recipe for some vegan (so dairy free) cookies. All I have to do is substitute the flour, pray hard, and GFCF cookies will abound!

whoot! My shortbread was vegan, but not GFCF :thumbs:

I'm starting to think I've signed up for something nearly healthy and that will class as 'outdorrsey'! :o

When Mumble was convincing me to come I was merrily thinking to myself that 'picnic in the park' was some sort of code

that really meant 'meet up, find a pub, drink lots and then eat whatever fast food comes to hand!' (looking at the park from a distance!) ;)

It's now dawning on me that it's a proper full on sit on the floor picnic!! :o

No wonder that mumbly was laughing wen I said I woz coming ;)

***Lisa goes away to fink how she can fit the following into one big handbag*******

- comfy cushion to sit on (hasn't anyone put padded benches into greenwich park yet?)

- my fav cup for a cuppa tea + milk powder! :)

- Some supermarket grub - pre made/pre packed :)

- unbrella!! (one that works and dont fall down)

- somewhere to hide my ciggies so mumble don't 'accidently' squich em or soak em in water! ;)

- packet of biscuits for all to share so it looks like I did try and enter into the spirit of 'having a picnic' :)

- should read waterprrof coat but I aint got one cos I dont 'do' outdoors :lol:

Looking forward to it! - honest :) - and if the 'majority' of the group feel they much prefer the lower ground area of greenwich (with no hills!!! ) then obviously i'm more than happy to comply! :)

Look forward to seeing you all >:D<<'> and mumble I'll be holding you to that Bacardi u owe me! :)

A lot of people have train tickets to Greenwich (as opposed to travel cards) so it would be unfair on them - I did think about science museum, but it's the other side of London and with travel disruption could take up to 1 1/2 hours to get to from Greenwich and getting 26+ people to change plans and go to a different place and communicate change on the day could be disastrous (not least because anyone on tubes won't get a mobile signal).

Looking at the weather forecasts, I think it may be more a case of showers so deciding if it rains there - in which case I would suggest we decamp in groups to either the National Maritime Museum or the Observatory - they're both free, both in the park, and then if the sun comes out again we can regroup. Does that sound OK? :unsure:

Yes that is perfick :thumbs:

And I and anyone else that believes in mumbo jumbo higher powers can keep invoking the Picnic Angel as well :lol:

So far looks like rain all week :crying:

Boho :(

I've figured it out................ i bought new animal (as in surfy....not hedgehog...) flip-flops last week.......... :ph34r:

I've cursed us all with my flip-flop buying. I shall wear the flip-flops, get soggy toes, as penance.... :crying: the shame..:lol:

When Mumble was convincing me to come I was merrily thinking to myself that 'picnic in the park' was some sort of code

that really meant 'meet up, find a pub, drink lots and then eat whatever fast food comes to hand!' (looking at the park from a distance!) ;)

Damn it! She's onto us.......................... :ph34r: We dooo, we do have sensible picnics, absolutely no fun at all, honest injun.............. :whistle:

:dance:

oooh, I'm actually glad that I can't make it now! Rain.... don't forget your brolly :D

I seem to remember when everyone was going to Herne Bay, and at the last minute I cried off because we were enjoying ourselves on the beach at the Isle of Wight (in glorious sunshine); I was feeling all sad 'cos I wasn't going, but then found out the Herne Bay guys had horizontal rain while I was basking in the sun :ph34r: .

Moral of the story is, only go if Flozza's going :lol:

Flo' :P