Mumble

Greenwich Meetup

Whatcha wearing Bid?? :dance:

Oooh, haven't decided yet!

Saw a fabby purple zig-zag maxi dress from P******s, but when I looked online my size was sold-out :(

I shouldn't really buy anything 'cos I'm on an uber economy drive due to huge mortgage... :unsure:

I shall keep you posted!

Boho :dance:

Have they not removed the burnt out wreck tobe rebuilt somewhere yet???

Well luckily, over 50% of the timbers had already been removed as had the figureheads before it burnt down so it can be restored. They are working on the dock where it is / will be, so it is covered in a large white scaffold structure (with a funny shaped white tent 'visitor centre' nearby).

I don't know if the locals are still sensitive about their burnt out wreck, but asking for directions to the Greenwich tunnel or the Cutty Sark Gardens (don't be fooled, it's a name for the area around the burnt out wreck, rather than a garden) may be better than asking where the boat is :oops: (though all the signs still point to the Cutty Sark). The boat shaped benches where we meet at the bow of the B.O.W. are quite close to the Greenwich entrance to the Thames tunnel.

Time - originally we said 11:30am, I don't know if that changed in later posts. Is 11:30am OK for most, or do we want 12:00? I'm happy either way, and I'll probably be there early.

I'm just going to check out the travel for people coming by train/DLR because there's been loads of engineering work and line closures recently ... :unsure:

TRAIN, TUBE AND DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY CLOSURES - Saturday 12th July 2008

Ok, this isn't to scare anyone, and I'm sure you're all resourceful people (it's me who's panicking) but there are several line closures that might affect the meet on the 12th:

Docklands Light Railway Transport for London Website says this is suspended on the 12th July between Canary Wharf and Lewisham (this part of the line includes Greenwich and Cutty Sark stations). What I can't find out is if this is a full suspension, because the journey planner is still telling me to use the DLR :wallbash: Peeps who are good with phones might want to do some checking before they travel.

Jubilee Line this is closed between North Greenwich (where the O2 arena is) and Stratford (going East) - it might effect people coming this way.

District Line this is closed between Edgeware Road and Earl's Court - shouldn't cause many problems but possibly if anyone is coming into Paddington (though there should be ways round).

Circle Line closed.

Southern Overground Rail Services some of these around the area are closed (mine!!) although from what I can find out the ones into Greenwich mainline station (from where, if the Docklands Light Railway isn't working it's a 13 minute walk to the Cutty Sark) is running normally. See National Railway Enquiries for your particular journey.

See, I told you I was bored! *Runs off to hide under a rock - please don't shoot the messenger! :ph34r: *

(Oh, and before anyone suggests postponing the meet, there is an equally long list for most weekends until 2010 or some such year in the future ... :huh:)

I'm coming on the Tube from Waterloo or Victoria. Last time I got on the DLR from Canary Wharf to Cutty Sark, but got awfully lost on my way back to the station and went home from a different station. I will have to find another route by the sounds of things.

I'm coming on the Tube from Waterloo or Victoria. Last time I got on the DLR from Canary Wharf to Cutty Sark, but got awfully lost on my way back to the station and went home from a different station. I will have to find another route by the sounds of things.

The change from the Jubilee line to the DLR at Canary Wharf is horrendous - I don't know why TfL keeps sending people that way - it's supposed to be quicker I think, but the signage is appalling.

I would think (particularly if you are going into Waterloo) that you would be best going to London Bridge (you can get there on the part of the Jubilee line that is working, or really easily on the overground (one stop) from Waterloo East) and then get the overground from London Bridge to Greenwich (again really easy - one or two stops depending on the train) - at London Bridge go up on the bridge rather than down the tunnel to change platforms and there's a really easy alphabetical indicator that tells you which of the 16 platforms you need for Greenwich. It looks like I'm probably going to have to go via London Bridge too, but as yet I have no idea how I'm getting there as my train lines are being enginereerised - it could be a very long walk!! :D

Mumble help!!! How do you get there from Victoria? dont mind bus or tube. Thanks you are so good to everyone.

District Line tube eastbound to Cannon Street

From Canon Street Mainline station take SouthEastern train (towards Dartford or Canon Street (circular route)) directly to Greenwich (4 direct trains an hour, takes 12 minutes).

Then walk from Greenwich station to Meet point (13 minutes! :D)

See you there - I'll be the one pretending to be a tree :lol:

I reckon the park pathways and tracks would make a good mini race track!!

:shame: :shame: Now I'm sure you've read the rules and know you're not allowed motorised vehicles in the park. Lots of people use radio controlled vehicles on Blackheath nearby however :D They make a right racket! :lol:

The change from the Jubilee line to the DLR at Canary Wharf is horrendous - I don't know why TfL keeps sending people that way - it's supposed to be quicker I think, but the signage is appalling.

It is indeed horrendous. I came out of the Tube and I could see two stations, but I couldn't work out how to get to either of them. I followed the signs, and got hopelessly lost, and when I finally got to the station, it took ages to work out which platform I wanted. I am normally completely confident with the train, but not that day. Perhaps Boris will sort it out.

Is a Travelcard valid on the overground from London Bridge to Greenwich?

It is indeed horrendous. I came out of the Tube and I could see two stations, but I couldn't work out how to get to either of them.

If you do want to do it again (when the DLR is running) it's best to change from Canary Wharf on the Jubilee to Heron Quays on the DLR, but it's still not easy.

Perhaps Boris will sort it out.

Well at least you wouldn't be able to drink before trying it so the signs wouldn't seem wonky :drunk::lol: :lol:

Is a Travelcard valid on the overground from London Bridge to Greenwich?

Yes. Greenwich is in Zone 3, so make sure you get a zone 1,2,3 travelcard or an all zones travelcard.

Mumble, just wanted to say you are such a star, you are so willing to help everyone with directions, a big pat on the back to you :notworthy::notworthy:

I am still coming, loaded down with a picnic for the witches, no slugs this time Mumble.

I'm too busy to post at the moment, it's very manic on all fronts ( and backs and sides) down my way at the moment.

B is doing well, very cheerful and positive at the moment, P has cracked Maths A level and is looking smug and my dad is going for little walks and eating lots of fillet steak and liver to build him up again.

Just got to sort out my ***** paperwork and all that jazz.

* waves weakly from under the heap *

Hev

Bid

SG

Bard

Mumble

Soraya

Me, friend L & Niknaks...

Pearl & JP

Warren

Tally (and cake! :notworthy: )

:dance:

You forgot me! :crying:

K x ;)

if i could manage it i might just shock you and not say a word :o i dont think i could do it though!!

If you get off the tube at Canary Wharf then get the D7 bus outside of the station.Get off at the bottom of the Isle of dogs [foot tunnel] then you can get to greenwich through the foot tunnel.

That option is ok if you don't mind the tunnel. :) Karen.

Saw a fabby purple zig-zag maxi dress from P******s, but when I looked online my size was sold-out :(

I shouldn't really buy anything 'cos I'm on an uber economy drive due to huge mortgage... :unsure:

I shall keep you posted!

Oooh, I've got one!! :clap:

Teeny bit big so may need to alter a bit, but it's absolutely garjuss :bounce:

lookee here

It'd had better be sunny now!!

Have justified buying it 'cos I can wear it to the work Hogroast Partay at the end of July too! :shame:

Boho :dance::clap::bounce:

Edited by baddad

:lol:

My first thought was that it will look fabulous on you bid.

My second was that with all the comfort eating I've been doing, I would look exactly like a spectacular Easter egg in it.

SMILEY, SMILEY, LOOKEE MY DRESS!!! :clap::lol:

Boho :dance:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

It's GORGEOUS! It's sooooo preddy, and zigzaggy, and beautiful, and, and...................

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh i LOVE it! (i'm actually flapping at the computer!!!)

You will look soooooooooooooo pretty! :clap:>:D<<'>

Bard >:D<<'> I've not a hope in hell of getting away with it either.... With my, erm......, doobie-doos .......... i'd get arrested for indecent exposure!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bid - i keep going back for another look :clap::wub::dance:

And vairry, vairy reasonable price too - if it rains, just get a jumper n ugg boots n stick em over the top!!! :lol:

That is really gorgeous bid :thumbs:

I wish I felt nice in dresses. I always love them, but whenever I try wearing one I feel like I'm playing 'dressy ups' in my mum's clothes :lol:

Flora :D

oooh bid it could have been made with you in mind,i think its fab :thumbs: but with my jordans if i put it on i would block the sun out and ruin the day :lol: