rainbow queen

trip in june to a educational outdoor center

have just received a letter home about a 3 day trip in june to a educational outdoor center-my son is 6 [7 in june]

what are your veiws on this?

im uneasy about it really,as my son is not really getting the help he needs at school as it is......without trusting him to go away from home with them ect....

he also has still not learnt to be dry at night aswell -and could see this upsetting him ,with it being made public with class mates.

just wondered if anyone else has had this experiance?

rainbow queen

My son went on an outdoor adventure centre weekend in Year 4 and I had to go and collect him after two hours!

The following year he went on a five day trip to the Isle of Wight which went well and in Year 6 spent a week in France with the school which he really enjoyed. I have to say the school were marvellous with him and he gained a huge amount out of both trips and we were really pleased he went.

So, I suppose I'm suggesting that I think your reservations are valid at such a young age but that you should certainly consider it in the future if you decide against this time round.

Barefoot

the thing i would be worried about is he would most likely be scared being in unfamilar place -he complains if his bed does not smell right ect ect......i also think he would not tell of his problems and in turn would end up suffering for 3 days .im not sure it would at this stage have a positive impact on him..............i shall try talking to him tonight about what he feels about it.

thanks for the reply x

Guest Lya of the Nox

talk to him

then talk to school and see if they will support him right, get them to be honest!

meggzie went last year and had fun, but i did get lots of reverse charge calls

i did not let her go on the year 6 trip, would have been too hard for her, and she did not have a diag then

x

Seems quite a young age for any child to be going away from home for 3 days.Especially as everything will be new and different.My son was 9 before he went away for 2 nights.His dad went as a parent helper and he slept in a quiet room with just another boy.He was statemented so he also had his lsa too.He still hated it and the next time his class went away we kept him off school.I think your best judging how you think your son will cope , I think it depends on each child and wether the people looking after him understand his condition and difficulties.best wishes suzex.

Hi .We did not send Ben on year 2 weekend trip.He does not like the dark,does not like strange toilets and likes somone to be close by when he has a bath or uses the toillet.We decided it was too ambitious and would cause more worry for him than any benefit he might gain.Karen.

The first time I went away without my parents I was 11. It was really hard being away from home, but I did enjoy it and feel good about the fact that I did it. But 7 is really young.

yes i did think it was a bit young for it -regardless of the rest of the problems he would encounter......my son does not like using other toilets either ect ect...or other food that hes not used to ......

i can see it could possible have a good impact but then it could also go the other way rather badly

i shall have to see about this -and talk to school.

hes also very young for his age too....as in maturity.

Hi rq

I'm with the others, seems awfully young. JP had a fantastic time on his yr 6 trip, but school insisted mr p went with him & we didnt feel we could make a fuss about that at the time.

I can understand your dilemma. Our eldest dd went away with the school for the first time last year, when she had just turned 10. It was four nights, in an outward bound centre, not far from home. I was worried about her too, and getting the right clothing was very difficult. She had to have specific clothing, ie thick sock, jumpers, but she has huge issues with how clothes feel on her, so it felt like a mammoth task, but we got there in the end. She had an absolute ball. She wasn't homesick at all, infact, quite the opposite. She didn't seem to feel as the other kiddies felt, many of whom were in tears when it was time to leave. She hopped on the bus without so much as a backward glance. She hasn't got any toiletting issues, but if she did, I would of been very concerned. Your son does seem abit young tbh. I'd definately to and talk to the school, get a feeler for what support they will put in place, how they would deal with various scenario's that may crop up etc. Good luck.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but DD has a camping trip coming up in June, two nights away. She is only just turned 7, and due to her difficulties, is still not dry at night, so she is in night-time pull-ups and needs washing every morning. She cannot dress or wash herself at all, has sensory issues, so needs heavy blankets on her bed.

I am all for inclusion, but I just can't see this working, unless maybe I go along as a parent helper, but I also have a young baby, so not easy to go along myself.

Am I within my right to ask/demand that she has a full-time helper on the trip? She has a Statement, but we are appealing it as it is worse than useless and does not give her ANY hours of 1:1 support, so we are totally reliant on the good will of the school......

Hi

sorry I cant give you any advice.Except to say 7 is extremely young I would never even allow my 9yr old NT son to go away and he is very mature and capable,when he is 11 or 12 or older, but 7 to me is far to young IMO.

hope someone can give your more advice :)

My NT son went for a residential trip this yr he is 7 also.He wets at night sometimes aswell.I told staff and they were very very discreet etc, and he was,nt the only one in his class, 2 other kids had issues aswell.However my ASD son would have been too young to go on such a trip if it had been offered.Its up to your and your judgement etc as to wether the trip will enhance and benefit her, good luck.

Thanks for replying. If the trip is fairly local, I may let her go, providing she has her 1:1 support, but only during the day, and maybe take her home in the evenings, so she doesn't miss out entirely, but I am really not happy about her camping at such a young age, even if she didn't have ASD and MLD!

I think you need to trust your instincts, and remember you know your child best.

If you think there is any part of the trip she might like, then try to arrange for her to be included. Maybe she would enjoy sharing a bedroom (my son would HATE that), maybe she wants to do one of the activities planned.

In our case, there was nothing on the agendas that our son would consider doing, or even watching, plus he has never had a sleep over without me, so he has not been on any of the trips so far (now in Yr 7 - age 11yrs)

Edited by caci

I agree that it seems very young for a residential trip.

How far away is it? Is there a possibility that he could go for a day and you could collect him?

I liked the way that DD1's special school organised i similar trip - they went to an outdoor centre which was within an hour of homes - and all the children under 10 came home after dinner - the school arranged special taxis. There was also the option to go back the next day as well.

My son has been on numerous school trips with his school.........its a special school..............three times to outwood bound centres and he loved it,last year he went to france for 3 days .........againe loved it...............and in June of this year hes going againe for 3 days on a pgl weekend.First time he went he was around 8 years old and i was worried sick but he wanted to go so i let him and he was fine.

Every child is different if youre son wants to go then let him ............

My son gained loads of confidence and i leanrt that sometimes mum fussing around all the time like i tend to do isnt good for them .............my son said he was glad to be rid of me............. :whistle:

I can agree with much of what others have said, you know your son best and have to go with your instinct.

Personally I think 3 days when he is so young is a lot to ask any child. For Beavers (6-8) they can only be away from home for a max of 24 hours. Have a look at the Scouting factsheet

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs...fs/fs155053.pdf

I have 15 Cubs (8-10) away for 3 nights this weekend, I know some (not going) have decided they are not ready and no doubt we will have our share of home sickness and other issues.

I'd say that any overnight event for a 6 yr old is a lot to ask.

Edited by jaffacakes