Sign in to follow this  
krystaltps

weighted blankets

I have been looking at a UK site that sells weighted blankets. I'm now on the verge of buying one for C as the many-heavy-duvets trick doesn't work for him because he overheats in bed as it is. But as it's so expensive (�105 inc P&P), I thought I'd ask anyone here who has one what they think of it first.

Has it made a difference at bedtime? Are they more likely to sleep right through? Are they calmer and more relaxed with the weighted blanket?

Hiya,

Is there any way you could borrow one from somewhere - any support groups near you?

Sometimes they are fantastic - sometimes not. Really depends on your kiddie. My son uses one on his lap/shoulders at school, but prefers to wrap himself in a blanket at home.

HTH :)

Yes we have just ordered one, took a while to save up, but its now been orderd, we did it because the house is made of quilts, everywhere there their.

J loves the sensation of things on him been heavy, I dont really understand it because he doesnt like clothes or touch, but loves contact rough and tumble.

I have read somewhere that the weights provide an awareness of the body, where it is, so in bed it gives a sensation of grounded.

If J doesnt take to his we are allowed to return ours, could this be possible.

JsMum

I desperatly want to get one for my son, but I also know my daughter would benefit and the price of two would be quite expensive so I guess I had better start saving!!

I have heard some children have really benefited from them there is a lady who posted on here once who made and sold them, i'll take a look through my pm box and maybe you can message her as I think she does them a bit cheaper >:D<<'>

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I don't know if it would be possible to return it if C doesn't take to it, Jsmum, but it's certainly worth asking... I hadn't thought of that.

Stressedmumto2 - Maybe it's me, but I can't get the link to work. I saw her post last night when I did a forum search and I saw a link to the site when I googled, but the link just doesn't work. I assumed last night that maybe she'd stopped doing it.

The site I looked at and got the price from seemed to be the only UK-based one that makes single-bed size weighted blankets.

I think I probably will order one, but I'll ask about their returns policy first.

Guest Lya of the Nox

this is funny cos last nite meggzie slept with 2 duvets on, and said it was great

and we are now discussing them

but are we going backwards, she never had when younger,

x

but are we going backwards, she never had when younger,

I'm not sure it is going backwards - more it's about becoming aware of how ASD affects her and what you can implement to make things easier. In fact, if anything, finding things that works is moving forwards. I'm sure you wouldn't see her Ian Jordan lenses as a backwards step - I don't think this should be seen differently.

I think I'd like a weighted blanket - I have everything very tightly tucked in. And I was amused at someone saying about piling the soft toys on top - I still do that!! :lol:

Guest Lya of the Nox

I'm not sure it is going backwards - more it's about becoming aware of how ASD affects her and what you can implement to make things easier. In fact, if anything, finding things that works is moving forwards. I'm sure you wouldn't see her Ian Jordan lenses as a backwards step - I don't think this should be seen differently.

i know, i think i am still on such a huge learning curve and if i was honest, i felt like a really bad mum after seeing Ian, cos i did not think she had any issues

but then was surprised to find i have a few too

i hope you did not take my comment offensively,

we just got the lego and her doll house out of the loft again, dont know what i am saying will shut up :ph34r:

This thread has opened up a new viewpoint for me too, i had not thought too much into why Hayley slept the way she did but i have asked her things over the last few days and it has helped us both understand a wee bit better.

I am now also looking into getting a blanket for her.

Hayley has a furry throw to lie on then her quilt and a heavy quilted throw and then her toys on top.

She squirms right down to the bottom of the bed so that her feet touch the bed rail.

She told me it helps her know where she is, and feel where her legs are.

I am in awe of her lately at the way she problem solves all by herself!

nic

She squirms right down to the bottom of the bed so that her feet touch the bed rail.

She told me it helps her know where she is, and feel where her legs are.

Is that not normal?? :unsure: :unsure:

Hayley has a furry throw to lie on

Me too!! Don't like being able to 'feel' the mattress!!

i hope you did not take my comment offensively,

we just got the lego and her doll house out of the loft again, dont know what i am saying will shut up :ph34r:

No offence taken whatsoever!! For what it's worth I didn't realise that a lot of my 'normals' were far from normal till after my dx and I started reading round. I assumed everyone saw and experienced the world I did and that I was just being an idiot for not coping with the things I found difficult.

Now about this Lego ... can I come and play?? (I'm not interested in the dolls house though - I took the head off the only doll my mum got me in an attempt to make me do proper girl things!!!! :devil:)

Sorry to butt in LOL - I have been looking at these for my DS too - they do them on ebay too - don't know whether that would help?

The company I have been looking at also have an EBay shop - so I wonder if it's one and the same?

Mods? Can I mention the name of the company?

I am in awe of her lately at the way she problem solves all by herself!

I know exactly what you mean, Nic. I'm always amazed at the ways in which C solves problems that I never even knew existed. He likes to wear pjs that are too little for him with everything tucked in and soft toys piled around him.

Mumble, you do make me laugh i think my daughter is going to be ok if she ends up anything like you.

nic

Can we please not mention specific companies on the forum. If you want to make a recommendation, please keep it to PMs. Thanks!

Hi there - im the person who makes them !! I had to shut down the website due to health problems (im disabled myself) but i'm still selling on Ebay - I ONLY make them in Cotton as Fleece would be far too hot (there is another seller on there- be warned!) if you would like to know more, please PM me.

Anyway, they way they work is they 'first of all CALM the childs body, which produces a chemical in the brain which in turn CALMS the mind - enabling the child to go off into a nice deep sleep,and to STAY asleep too, or to sit and watch TV without fidgeting/jumping all over the place.... alot of AS children are so 'on the go' all the time, it takes alot of work and thought to keep going like that - thats why they sometime have trouble writting/reading/sitting still/sleeping - because their minds are FULL of what they have to move next - they dont have the ability to do too many things at once IYKWIM

My son sleeps with an 8lb blanket, he used to toss'n'turn all night long, wake up all the time, or take ages going off to sleep BUT NOW he sleeps like a log! And he doesnt toss'n'turn and i believe its made a good inpact on his behavior too !

He also uses a Lap Pad blanket for TV/dinner table/homework and school as weighted blanket INCREASE the AS childs ability to concerntrate.

If you need anymore info please let me know - best wishes mel xx

I have edited Email address in line with Forum rules.Please pm if you are interested.Thanks Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I was just reading through all your posts and needed to ask you all what you think - my DS has a thing about playing with fingers - not his - anyone elses who is near him and then he presses your hand hard down on him usually on his face or chest. He like to lie on the sofa with a big body cushion and 3 blankets on top of him too. He has sleep issues which I was given medication for (and doesnt work and I won't use it again!) - he gets up at 3 / 3.30 every morning and I cant get him off again - do you think maybe if I tried a weighted blanket it might help?

Sarah

Guest Lya of the Nox

Now about this Lego ... can I come and play?? (I'm not interested in the dolls house though - I took the head off the only doll my mum got me in an attempt to make me do proper girl things!!!! devilred.gif)

ahh but the doll house is set up and no-one is allowed to touch it lol

i bought her a doll that scared her cos it moved

and then she wanted baby A and we got it for her, and she loved it till tea time chrissie day and the beeb put on a dino filum cant remember what it was called, where peeps go back or inside the world to travel

her baby looked liked the baby monkey that got his head bashed in :(:(:(

and then it took me weeks to get her to sleep !

sorry for digression

x

I was just reading through all your posts and needed to ask you all what you think - my DS has a thing about playing with fingers - not his - anyone elses who is near him and then he presses your hand hard down on him usually on his face or chest. He like to lie on the sofa with a big body cushion and 3 blankets on top of him too. He has sleep issues which I was given medication for (and doesnt work and I won't use it again!) - he gets up at 3 / 3.30 every morning and I cant get him off again - do you think maybe if I tried a weighted blanket it might help?

Sarah

From what you've said, your DS sounds pretty much like C. C loves to get the twinkles to lie on him or he builds dens on the sofa or armchair with all the cushions piled on top. He has never slept unassisted, and only gets to sleep now with melatonin - but it doesn't always keep him in bed, he is often up around 2-3am. He also loves squeezy-hugs :wub: .

So it might be a good idea to consider a weighted blanket. I'll let you know how I get on - I've emailed Ryansmum about her blankets.

From what you've said, your DS sounds pretty much like C. C loves to get the twinkles to lie on him or he builds dens on the sofa or armchair with all the cushions piled on top. He has never slept unassisted, and only gets to sleep now with melatonin - but it doesn't always keep him in bed, he is often up around 2-3am. He also loves squeezy-hugs :wub: .

So it might be a good idea to consider a weighted blanket. I'll let you know how I get on - I've emailed Ryansmum about her blankets.

Thanks for that - that sums Charlie up too! Let me know how you get on!

Sarah

Thanks for that - that sums Charlie up too! Let me know how you get on!

Sarah

Is that Charlie in your avatar? Cute, cute, cute!! :wub:

Edited by krystaltps

Is that Charlie in your avatar? Cute, cute, cute!! :wub:

That is my baby boy - that was about 18 months ago when he would look at a camera - now he wont even make eye contact with a camera let alone a person :tearful:

Guest Lya of the Nox

well we have a wee blanket

and she loves it and wants a big one

see bad mother alert agains

xxx

I'd love to give the weighted blankets a go as my DS is an dreadful sleeper, he calls us up to 5 hours a night and is up by 7am. He loves to be wrapped in a duvet and blankets, it's the cost which puts me off, and if it didn't work it would be such an expensive waste.

That's what has deterred me so far as well, Cariad. But I thought I should give it a go... I'm not expecting miracles, but if it helps him feel more secure and keeps him in bed a bit more, I'll be happy.

I've ordered one, it'll be a while before it's ready, but I'll let you know how things are when C's given it a test drive. He's very excited about it.

interested in this -wondering for my son

ive just recently noticed -that when hes going into meltdown -when he starts arguing ect-and i get caught up into the argument -that if instead of me doing my usual-like ignoring or reasoning and both now dont work -ive gone up to him

and pressed down hard on his shoulders and his head

sounds odd i know-not really hard of course just firm pressure -and if i repeat it and then say relax relax -it seems to stop meltdown.

so i reckon theres some truth in this-weighted blanket..............-i think it must ground them and make them feel safe -like not all floating about erratic ect.....

only thing is the prices seem a bit steep(well for me they do) -wonder if you do a home made job yourself ?

Js WB arrived early this week and its been a hit straight away, he loves the way it feels on him, I have had a go too and it is amazingly relaxing, J thinks its really conforting and he gives it a 10, I looked into making it but by the time I had all the materials I wouldnt be saving that much, personally It is worth it, Js is a large blanket too so I think it would of got a bit fiddly if I had a go at making it, Js WB is washable and I am looking at it as long term investment, once you have paid for it you have it for years to come.

We are already going to invest in a smaller one for trips and holidays and I complentating getting one for me too as I enjoyed the feeling too.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Rainbow Queen,

You are totally right putting pressure on there shoulders calms them down.

Also deep massage on the back also does the same thing.

Lyn

interested in this -wondering for my son

ive just recently noticed -that when hes going into meltdown -when he starts arguing ect-and i get caught up into the argument -that if instead of me doing my usual-like ignoring or reasoning and both now dont work -ive gone up to him

and pressed down hard on his shoulders and his head

sounds odd i know-not really hard of course just firm pressure -and if i repeat it and then say relax relax -it seems to stop meltdown.

so i reckon theres some truth in this-weighted blanket..............-i think it must ground them and make them feel safe -like not all floating about erratic ect.....

only thing is the prices seem a bit steep(well for me they do) -wonder if you do a home made job yourself ?

You can get weighted shoulder wraps as well - same idea as the blanket but smaller and shaped to go over the shoulders... and much, much cheaper.