soraya

Wrapping themselves up!!!

L would be really interested to know why ASD kids like to wrap themselves up in a blanket, quilts, etc. Nick wants to wrap himself up when he watches tely, eats, plays the computor, his quilt gets dragged around everywhere, he is 14 will he grow out of it!!!

My NT daughter always did it too. SHe is now 21 and not really grown out of it. They were called duvet days when she sat and watched telly with duvet around her. However she then went on to a sheepskin and wraps that around her now. Smaller and easier to cope with. My ds (probably aspergers) does it now and it calms him down when he does. It must be the feeling of warmth and security mustn't it? I'd be interested too if anyone else has an idea.

Ds OT used this with ds as a method to reduce anxiety as he would seek out small dark places and wrap himself up in duvet cover. She said it was based on Temple Grandin and feelings about deep pressure. Apparently Temple used to squeeze between 2 wardrobes every morning to get that feeling of deep pressure. It came from Temple's animal observations of cows before having something nasty done to them being squeezed through penn frames and how this would sooth them before they were injected or whatever.

Carrie

Very interesting....

DS dx'd AS does not like any restriction at all, however myself as a child would sleep with a blanket wrapped around my head and ears, and would like to crawl into small spaces and curl up into to ball to seek comfort and security.

Clare x x x

Hi we looked into weighted blankets before we got one and the information on why they are effective might be similair to your lad having the quilts.

here is some info here, but there is more available if you look into Sensory Dysfunction Disorders or Weighted blankets information in the search engine.

Js main reasons are grounding, body awareness, security, comfort, looking after his emotional wellbeing.

JsMum

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com...d-blankets.html

Its cushions with JP. He has 2 fleece ones (I bought him a second so he'd get rid of the manky old one but he's kept both :rolleyes: ) and carries them everywhere. But not to work, thankfully.

I have a king size throw which my son uses to wrap up in. If my cover is not on use then he uses his quilt!!

I think it's all about comfort factor-deep pressure!!

My brother also used to do the same who I think is undx adder >:D<<'>

My daughter loves wrapping herself up in blankets or throws and loves cushions.She really loves those squishy ones filled with tiny polystyrene beads.

nic

Hi yes Matthew does like to warp himself up, especially in his fav blankie with silky edges he had since a baby! he also loves to drive under cushions and loves him inside his duvet, literally inside it like a tent lol, as a baby he loved to be swaddled!

DD does it too. She has a cot bed sized quilt which she's had since she was about 3 years old and will carry it with her all the time at home, wrapping herself in it most of the time. I bought an identical one, miraculously I found one on the car boot sale, but she still goes for the old one which is getting quite tatty, thin and washed out, well it would after 8 years! :rolleyes: She only wants that one to sleep with too, which is a problem in the winter. I sneak in her room and lay another blanket on but she wakes and dumps it on the floor :rolleyes: