Sign in to follow this  
krystaltps

I give in...

In the true style of "I can do it, no it's alright- I'm fine" etc, I have been (since I joined the forum) trying to work out how to do quotes :o . I can quote the whole post, but it's the little segments of people's posts that I just can't do. Everyone else seems so good at it :tearful: .

Help... please?

I can't do 'em either, so i'll just wait around here with bated breath for the answer....cheers for asking krystaltps :thumbs:

Clare x x x

I can't do 'em either, so i'll just wait around here with bated breath for the answer....cheers for asking krystaltps :thumbs:

Clare x x x

:D There was me thinking I was the only one!

You can copy and paste the parts that you want to quote and then click on the speech bubble next to the envelope with the + sign on it. That will wrap quote tags around the text that you want to quote.. You can do this more than once in a reply and that is how you have little parts that are quoted.

You can copy and paste the parts that you want to quote and then click on the speech bubble next to the envelope with the + sign on it. That will wrap quote tags around the text that you want to quote.. You can do this more than once in a reply and that is how you have little parts that are quoted.

Nope can't do it grrrrrrrrrrrr

To write a quote you need the following: (substitute { & } for [ & ] respectively.)

{quote}Put the text you want to quote here{/quote}

To make another quote just repeat the process with the quote and /quote around the other bits.

You can include extra detail in the heading by adding the following into the square brackets:

{quote name='Name of person your quoting' date='Date & Time of Post'}

Text Quoting

{/quote}

In other words you need the following without spaces:

[ quote ]Your Quote[ /quote ]

Without spaces this looks like

Your Quote

You get italics by replacing the word 'quote' with an 'i' and doing the same thing. Use 'b' to get bold.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Technoclot here.

I quote the whole passage, and then I highlight and delete the words I don't want. Well, it works for me!

Technoclot here.

I quote the whole passage, and then I highlight and delete the words I don't want. Well, it works for me!

:thumbs: Thats the only way I can do it, too! And sometimes I still just copy/paste & change the colour!

Technoclot here.

Actually, that would be quicker and less "footery". So not technoclot, just a time-saver :thumbs:

I shall become a quote expert.

I did it.... I did it.... I did it....I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.............I think

Clare x x x

Oh poo NO I DIDN'T :(

Edited by Clare63

Clare - copy the following exactly, but change the round brackets ( ) for square brackets [ ]

(quote) I shall become a quote expert. (/quote)

I did it.... I did it.... I did it....I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.............I think

Clare x x x

(quote) Oh poo NO I DIDN'T (/quote)

As you will see, any text that is between a (quote) and a (/quote) (but in square brackets of course!) will be in a quote box. Note that the first one is the word quote on it's own and the second one (to end a quote) is /quote, i.e. with a / (and no spaces)

{Clare - copy the following exactly, but change the round brackets ( ) for square brackets [ ]}

OMG you probably think I am really stupid, if this has not worked, I'll tell you what I did so perhaps you can see where I went wrong !

1. Clicked on fast reply box

2. Highlit the words I wanted to quote

3. right clicked & selected copy

4. came back to fast reply box, entered a { right clicked and pasted the quote then entered a }

is that right ?????

NOPE STILL CAN'T GET IT, THANKS GUYS FOR TRYING TO HELP ME AFRAID FOR SOME STUPID REASON I CAN'T GET MY HEAD AROUND IT :wallbash:

Edited by Clare63

OMG you probably think I am really stupid, if this has not worked, I'll tell you what I did so perhaps you can see where I went wrong !

No I don't think you're stupid!!! It was partly my fault, because what you did would have automatically put brackets in and created a whole mass of different brackets!!!

Try this. Don't hit 'fast reply', just (for now) hit add reply (you can scroll down your screen to read this still).

Then type some nonsense like this:

(quote)I want this text to be in quote marks (/quote)

But I don't want this to be

(quote) and I want this in quotes (/quote)

But not this

(quote) Haha, I can quote now (/quote)

BUT remember to change the ( ) round brackets for [ ] brackets (you don't need to press shift to get them, you want straight square brackets, not the curly ones above). Everything between (quote) and (/quote) should be in quote marks. It's like (quote) (but with square brackets) opens a quote and (/quote) closes a quote.

Mumble before I start do I have to highlight or cut and paste anything ????

whoops my brain certainly is not working tonight can't type properly Grrrrrrrr

Edited by Clare63

[this is me trying to do some quotes, this quote should be in square brackets] this is not a quote so I will not put brackets either side of it [just possibly spotted a mistake I think my quote should be closed with a slash bracket/]

Oh how I do hope I have got this right.....its so embarrassing.

If I am right Mumble and I am not convinced I am , please would you kindly explain how I then take a sample quote from someone elses post, not the entire thing just a sentence for example.

Thanks

[ quote ] Type the quote here - or copy and paste it [ / quote ]

If you miss out the spaces, that would appear as a quote.

Or you can type (or paste) the quote into the reply box, highlight it, and click on the quote button at the top of the box, which is a picture of some lines in a speech bubble. That will enter the quote tags for you.

If I am right Mumble and I am not convinced I am

OK, I can now see the problem.

You actually have to write the word 'quote' in the square brackets, so you would write exactly what is written below, every charcter, except you change the round brackets for square brackets. The word quote must be included at the beginning and end - this tells the computer that you want to quote:

(quote) My text I want to quote (/quote)

Text in square brackets tells the computer to do something. Here 'quote' tells the computer to put in quote boxes. Any action preceeded by a / tells the computer to stop that action, so (quote) - but with square brackets - means start a box here and (/quote) means end a box here.

Crikey :wacko:

I am so sorry....

I'll try again....

Thank you Mumble for being so patience with me

Please please please :pray::pray::pray: let this be right ?????

Please please please :pray::pray::pray: let this be right ?????

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now all you have to do if you want multiple 'bits' is make sure that the bits you want quoted are between (quote) and (/quote) with square brackets of course. :)

Thanks Mumble,

Your a good teacher, know who to come to now when I get stuck !

Clear direct instructions that what I like.

Cheers

Clare x x x

I'm not sure on this one, but I used to have the same problem until just recently, then it all stopped and became nice.

It may have been the wee circular arrows button at the top of the page when you're writing your post - let your mouse hover over it and it says "switch between standard and rich text editor". Not sure if clicking this was what sorted it out for me though.

But it's worth a try.

Think I gonna have to get DS to give me a lesson, I have lost how to do the quotes again today, my brain is frazzled :hypno:

Clare x x x

I now need lessons on how to do a post with a different font, size and colours without the details showing ????

Clare x x x

I just highlight what I want to change & click on the relevant thingy above.

Lets see what I do. I would highlight this word and click on size. If I wanted to change the colour I would then highlight same word and click on the colours.