Sign in to follow this  
Flora

BESD schools

I am looking for evidence against schools for behavioural, emotional and social difficulties for children with AS. While I recognise sometimes they are appropriate, I am looking more for information against them for AS kids who have no history of behavioural difficulties. Perhaps there isn't any? I have been searching for ages. But if anyone knows of anything I'd be grateful.

Flora

What about looking into spercific sites for EBD and look at what kind of educational services there are for children, in our area our local EBD school did not cater for ASDs but a lot have been assessed and now have a higher proportion of ASDs so its difficult, a lot of ASD specific school do take SEBD children too but later that child is assessed with probable ASD/ADHD/OD so many EBD schools are becoming more of a complex needs school.

There is a link here that you may enquire more informion and ask the EBD schools if they take ASD children and whats there opionion on ASD children in EBD school.

http://www.sebda.org/

Searching EBD schools prospectus may also give further details on Addmissions and explain why they do not except children with ASD.

JsMum

Jsmum, thanks for that >:D<<'>

Basically the LA have suggested I look at a local special school for BESD. I'm not at all convinced that it would be the right placement for Bill but I will go and look at it anyway because maybe I'm wrong!

Bill has never had behavioural difficulties. In fact his behaviour is excellent taking into account his many difficulties. The school apparently has an emphasis on the 'emotional' and 'social' difficulties. I think there is a huge difference between these two terms and the 'communication' and 'interaction' difficulties a person with AS has. Certainly AS can throw up difficulties which are 'emotional and social', but not always necessarily in the way that I think this means.

Jsmum, thank you so much for the link. I've found an excellent paper on that webiste on the definition of BESD which has certainly helped to get things straight in my head.

If anyone has any thoughts, opinions etc, on the suitability of a BESD school for a young person with AS and no behavioural difficulties, then please share them.

Flora X

Flora my son is in a SEBD school and it is not working for him. The approaches used for behavioural and ASD should be different as the behaviour for ASD mostly comes from within the child which means it can be really difficult to help if you are just using behavioural approaches. You would also need to take into account just how much your son may imitates others behaviours-is he a copier of what other children do? This is a huge concern as my son imitates bad behaviour and desperatly wants to fit in, which by doing as they do means he does!!

I think what you need to do is have a look at the school, see what stratergies, i.e. time-tables, countdowns, visual boards for points earnt, time-out cards etc they use, ask them how thy would intervine if your son done such and such i.e left the classroom because he wasn't coping and how they would help him to over-come this, what stratergies do they have in place. How do they develope social skills, ask about speech and language therapy and group work the SaLT may do.

See if they have safe spaces for the children to retreat too if they are over-stimulated? ask staff ratios to children also how many children are in the class, ask if children in the class are ASD, ask if staff have qualifications in relation to ASD.

Never judge a book by the cover and think all SEBD schools are the same, I have seen some very good ones and some pretty bad ones.

I have always been told that SEBD is the wrong enviroment for children with ASD by the professionals who have dealt with my son for the reasons I have stated the imitating behaviour and the approaches used to treat the children, when I get time I will try to have a look through some of my reports as i'm sure that the professionals actually stated the reasons why? I think also if you have a look on the National Autistic Society website they have something on there about it. SEBD schools can be unpredictable and scary enviroments I have been told time and time again and I have to say I agree especially in relation to the school my son is at, but like i've said best thing is to look at the school, turn up unannounced if you like and go back a few times.

Have a look at the schools OFSTED reports and see how well the children are doing educationally and emotionally, ask about home-school communication.

Take care and best of luck >:D<<'>

Hi Flora,

This is going back a bit, but I remember quite a good discussion thread on this and I'm sure someone posted a link to some detailed information comparing different methods of approaching behavioural issues in the two types of school. If I find it I'll let you know - in the meantime you could try searching Education threads from a couple of years back.

K x