Mother in Need

Work Experience

Hi all, I haven't been on here for a long time but have never forgotten you all and the wonderful advice to be had from here! Right now, I could really use some of this advice:

My 14 year old has Asperger's, is in a unit with full-time 1-2-1. With all this help and support he is now coping well and doing really great! :dance:

However, in July he has to do two weeks of work experience.

First, I need to find him a placement to which I can drive him every single day. We live in a village, public transport is limited and anyway, he goes to school by taxi and has never been on a bus by himself, he couldn't cope and especially not with a change of bus/train to get anywhere. He has a younger brother who needs to be brought to school every day as well, and I am a single parent, so my possibilities are limited.

Secondly, and much more importantly, at school he has 32.5 hours of 1-2-1. AT WORK EXPERIENCE HE IS EXPECTED TO COPE ALL ALONE WITHOUT HIS TAs. The work experience coordinator has told him explicitly that he cannot have any support at work. I am now awaiting her phone call and would like to tell her very much where to go! :fight: I feel, however, this would be more productive if I could do that with the right legislation etc.

I have been trawling the net for the last hour or so, and can't find any.... I have tried ringing the NAS, and have left a message but they stated clearly that that message won't be read for another 10 days, let alone responded to.

This lady from school should ring some time this week, so that is too late for me... Also, his placement should be sorted by the first week of February, so time is running rather short.

Has anyone had any experience with work experience, and/or anything that might help?

Hi motherinneed.

We had the opposite problem!! My son has just done his 2 week work experience placement and the school wanted to support him at work with full time support. My son wanted to work alone and I requested that he had the opportunity to go it alone.

He did and fully enjoyed the expeirence and was quite often not able to be returned at the correct time so they brought him home when finished. He did have a taxi from his school to work placement though so please do enquire about transport posibilities.

I would request a meeting at school with your connexions advisor. I would also recommend a parental supporter from parents partnership they will also advise and attend meetings with you.

Good luck.

Angel.

Thank you for your advice Angel. I will contact Connexions, though I have had contact in the past and have not been very impressed, but maybe with this specific problem they might be more helpful. My experience with PP has been quite negative, and I am staying well away from them. It is good to hear that transport might be a possibility, though I don't know who to contact over that. I've never had much luck with obtaining anything around here without quoting some clear laws or going as far as a solicitor's letter, so simply ringing up the LEA is not going to get me anywhere...

Have you had any negative come-back from your son managing the work experience by himself? I am thinking here in terms of statement, I need to safeguard my son's hours of help and have the feeling (well-founded) that if he managed that by himself the LEA'd really take away a lot of hours, and without them he really couldn't cope...

Have just rang Connexions, and they were totally 100% useless, didn't have a clue re disabilities nor the legalities involved....... "ring your doctor and maybe they can advice"...........what a brilliant piece of advice......

I'll try the CAB next, but the nearest one to me is 1/2 hours drive away.

I am pasting a link which may be useful which has other links.

http://www.connexions-direct.com/index.cfm...detailedArticle

Can you speak to the connexions advisor who is linked to your sons school? They may have a better idea.

Angel.

I can't follow your link Angel, would you mind trying that again?

Canopus, I don't know if it is compulsory or not, but I'd certainly like him to do it, and so does he. It will give us a a bit more of an insight if he could cope with the world of work, and what adjustments would be needed to make him cope. The idea of having him home for god knows how long after next school year, is not one that I cherish... somehow, he NEEDS to be able to cope with further education and employment...

I don't know how to make an appointment with the Connexions advisor at school, but I'll see if his big brother can find out for me, he's in the same school. I always find it awkward to have to speak to these people while my son is present though, as I feel I cannot fully express myself, as I do not want to give him a negative outlook on things, my worries don't need to be his and would affect him badly. Also, I may say one thing (which I'll know to be completely True), and then he'll deny that as he won't see it that way at all, and everyone always listens to him and not me, but I am definitely the one who knows him best, much more than himself, and then the opportunity to make them understand is once again totally lost.

Similar things happen when they talk to him by himself, and then there is no way at all to repair the damage.

Hi,

http://www.connexions-direct.com/index.cfm...detailedArticle

I hope it works, I just tried the link and it worked for me so this may not solve your problem. If not try and copy the address to your search bar.

I think when I wanted to find out my sons connexions advisor I phoned the school and asked for the name and telephone number of the connexions advisor. I spoke to them and requested their attendence at my sons review. Since this they have been supportive in finding a work experience placement and are looking at college placements. They came to my house and discussed with me what I wanted for my son, without him present, and attended his review.

My other son in mainstream school his advisor sent me a letter and introduced herself before seeing my son.

Good luck.

Hi Mother in need.I do not know very much about this area but others here do.Do have a look in on the thread later tonight or tom if you do not make any progress.Karen.

As for Connexions: ask for your area's Special Needs Connexions Advisor. We had a brilliant one, although I guess that will vary from area to area.

Bid

I have been trying to find out who is Cornwall's Connexion's special needs/disability adviser via the net, but no luck. The County Council has the one 'access to work' adviser, but that person is based at least 50 miles from here, so not that useful. Haven't been to CAB yet, that too is a 40 mile round journey.

My son had full time 1 - 2 - 1 support in school, and so he had the same for his work experience. The same TA went with him to his work experience placement, and as a result he managed very well. If your son has 1 - 2 - 1 in school on a statement, then he has the same rights as part of his work experience, otherwise he would be unable to access what the others in his peer group are accessing, and is therefore being treated "less favourably"

My son had full time 1 - 2 - 1 support in school, and so he had the same for his work experience. The same TA went with him to his work experience placement, and as a result he managed very well. If your son has 1 - 2 - 1 in school on a statement, then he has the same rights as part of his work experience, otherwise he would be unable to access what the others in his peer group are accessing, and is therefore being treated "less favourably"

That's what I thought, so thank you for putting it down so clearly. So I suppose I'd have to tell them that if they don't, they'd be

in breach of the disability discrimination act? I haven't spoken to the lady in charge yet, but from what my son tells me, is that she told him that one reason is that it is a matter of insurance, a TA would not be insured in the work place? Mind you, even he had the feeling that he was being fobbed off, and I simply can't believe that could be the real case?

Yes, they have to sign a form, and there has to be a risk assessment done, and everybody, including you has everybody else's contact numbers in case of a problem. As long as thats done it should be OK

Good luck

Hi Mother-in-Need,

Don't know anything about the TA etc, but we have the same thing at the moment with the work experience thing - our daughter is mainstream with no support and the form should have been returned today - we've worried over it for the past week.

Didn't have a clue what to do as I am so worried about how she'll cope and we've had no support from the school or anyone advising us on this or that - although she would love to do something with graphic design or cartoon drawing (anime is what she loves) the closest for us for this would be Cardiff which is about 45mins away by car - she's told me they've said that it can go as far a field as Cardiff and will provide a bus pass!!!!!!! - she won't even go on the school bus which is 5 miles away!!

Although it would be lovely for her to do something she'd love we've talked tonight (fingers crossed) and decided to try for the local library - which I know would be better for her sensory issues - and also it's only a 10min walk from the house - so my mum can pick her up should there be any problem - that's saying we'll get the placement there!!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Take care,

Jb

We're just going through this for my Twins. It annoys me that they say they should do two weeks work experience, that it is an important thing to do, and it is compulsory - and then they tell you if they want to do anything other than basic shop-type work you need to find the placement yourself. I can't take them anywhere very far away in the car as I work. The buses are expensive and don't run very often, so we end up with most of the 160 children looking for a job in a small town.

One son has got one weeks work experience with the school PE Department. The rest we have left for the work experience people to sort out.

I remember L's work experience - she was also in mainstream with no support - can't remember if she even had a dx at that stage: I think not - and teachers were only just beginning to take notice of her difficulties. She got a place at a graphic design company but was very anxious about it - travelling, meeting new people, etc. So they let her do it at school instead, in the office. This worked out very well: it was a familiar environment she could easily get to. I don't think she did that much work, but it was a lot less stressful than the alternative would have been.

Good luck jb and Mother in Need, with sorting this out. Work experience is supposed to be a positive and encouraging thing - thats the whole point of it. So if the child needs support to make it so, they should get it. What do they do with pupils who use wheelchairs or hearing aids - insist that they are left at home?!

K x

Hi

JP's work experience was very positive. He did it without support.

BUT, I organised it myself. I work in a university library, & got the IT department there to take him on. I knew that the guy who would be closely supervising him (50s, unflappable) would be able to handle him. I offered him any info he needed but he actually asked v little, preferring to make his own mind up about JP. After a few days, I asked the supervisor how he was getting on, & he said, fine, we are learning together, I'm learning to tell him one thing at a time & write stuff down :thumbs:

Basically JP shadowed him closely for two weeks & got to do all sorts of interesting stuff, mending computers etc. But I think that was the key - the supervisor was with him most of the time, so it was like 1-1 support.

JP still recalls it as one of the best times of his life. He didnt want to go back to school.

We're just going through this for my Twins. It annoys me that they say they should do two weeks work experience, that it is an important thing to do, and it is compulsory - and then they tell you if they want to do anything other than basic shop-type work you need to find the placement yourself. I can't take them anywhere very far away in the car as I work. The buses are expensive and don't run very often, so we end up with most of the 160 children looking for a job in a small town.

One son has got one weeks work experience with the school PE Department. The rest we have left for the work experience people to sort out.

I have encountered several secondary school kids who didn't participate in work experience. It was recommended but optional. This is why I find it difficult to believe that a school can make it compulsory.

Thanks for your answers everyone.

To be honest, I still don't know what to do. I did talk to him about the library (which is actually attached to the college itself), but as he is dyslexic he hates the idea. He hasn't read many books in his life at all (I read them to him plus he receives tapes from Calibre), and is hopeless with the alphabet; he really doesn't feel he'll be comfortable there.

As for finding a placement, we too have the problem that there are over 300 youngsters all needing a placement at the same time; the school has a catchment area of over 300 square miles, which shows how rural we are; jobs are few and far between, public transport indeed expensive and VERY patchy, and unsuitable for my son anyway. The school does not help AT ALL with placement finding, not even for basic shop work (not that there are many sizable shops around), and he hates the idea of doing that anyway. Finding something that might suit his interests is very difficult, we did try a few places but they were all booked a year ago already, our college is not the only one doing work experience so that makes it even more difficult.

I guess I'll have to wait for that coordinator to ring me and tell her clearly that she is in breach of the DDA. And see if she can think of somewhere suitable for him, with support...

The school/LEA uses an agency that does the work experience stuff for them. They also do the risk assessments. They said that even if the child works with a family member they have to do a risk assessment and ensure they are properly insured. She also said that companies prefer it if the children contact them, rather than the parents. R would find this hard, especially on the phone.

They did ask on the form if there was anything they should know about the child. I put about R's AS on his form, but it will depend on what he does as to how much it will effect the placement.

When T did his work experience (he did his at the end of Yr 11), the agency gave them a big book with lots of placements to choose from, and they had to choose three. I don't think anyone got any one of their choices, and T ended up working for a turf company that happened to be next to the school. He did enjoy it though.

I feel totally in the dark about this, have I missed something??!! :wacko: Jay is 14 and in year 9 and I haven't heard a thing about work experience, should we be hearing about this soon??!!

~ Mel ~

I feel totally in the dark about this, have I missed something??!! :wacko: Jay is 14 and in year 9 and I haven't heard a thing about work experience, should we be hearing about this soon??!!

We didn't do it till after our GCSEs in year 11. Not that I did it mind - apparently they couldn't find a 'suitable' placement. I dunno, how hard can it be to find something related to "Penguin ranger on the Falklands"? :wacko::rolleyes: I guess it's different in different places.

I did mine near the end of year 10. I worked at a special school, and really enjoyed it. I only managed 2 days because I was ill. I was really disappointed, but they probably just thought I couldn't be bothered.

Could he do voluntary work? Charity shops are normally fairly quiet, and the staff will probably have time to actually supervise him. He could just do a few hours a day, that might be easier to cope with.

~ Mel ~

My daughters been told about it a week ago - she's in year 10 (she's 14 - will be 15 in the summer) - I don't know if all schools do it at the same time.

Take care,

Jb

I have a feeling that the system surrounding work experience varies from LEA to LEA, or possibly from school to school. In some LEAs it might not even be offered.

As for finding a placement, we too have the problem that there are over 300 youngsters all needing a placement at the same time; the school has a catchment area of over 300 square miles, which shows how rural we are; jobs are few and far between, public transport indeed expensive and VERY patchy, and unsuitable for my son anyway. The school does not help AT ALL with placement finding, not even for basic shop work (not that there are many sizable shops around), and he hates the idea of doing that anyway. Finding something that might suit his interests is very difficult, we did try a few places but they were all booked a year ago already, our college is not the only one doing work experience so that makes it even more difficult.

This system is a big fiasco and it's hard on the employers as well. Surely in an area where employment is scarce then the LEA should spread work experience over the space of a year rather than concentrate it all in two particular weeks.

Surely in an area where employment is scarce then the LEA should spread work experience over the space of a year rather than concentrate it all in two particular weeks.

I agree Canopus, different schools should do it in different weeks, and also, a list of possibilities should be given to the youngsters so they can get an idea of what is available and where. However, this is not the way it works, and ALL the onus is on the parents, both to find and transport them to and from their placements. For some parents this is OK, they have a larger social circle than I as a carer do, and there are often two parents and/or extended families to help out. I am completely alone with the boys, and I can't work due to their caring needs nor do I have many friends due to my caring needs. Just like most of the parents on here I imagine.

To clarify, yes my son is 14 but he is a young 14 in year 10. Also, his school has 'done away' with year 9 altogether and he is actually doing most of year 11 work, and is in his second year of GCSEs. Hence his activities are those formerly meant for year 11 students; he'll be nearly 2 years younger than other youngsters from other schools in the area doing their work experience (and GCSEs...) at the same time.

What support have those youngsters with AS who have already done their work experience, found most helpful? It might help to have some ideas for when that lady finally rings, some clear needs specified IYKWIM. Apart from for all the other parents who might be reading this!

Hi Mother in need

I dont know if i have missed it in the thread, is a placement sorted out?

If not why not suggest to the school that he uses the the time with his TA in school to research the kind of job he would like or see if his interests match up to any job.

Also, who is responsible for your son during this time? If it is still the school then surely they should still be providing the support still.

What will the TA be doing during this time?

Sorry for having questions rather than ideas but i can't think of much to help.

Good Luck and i hope you get it sorted out.

Nic

Hi Mother in need

I dont know if i have missed it in the thread, is a placement sorted out?

If not why not suggest to the school that he uses the the time with his TA in school to research the kind of job he would like or see if his interests match up to any job.

Also, who is responsible for your son during this time? If it is still the school then surely they should still be providing the support still.

What will the TA be doing during this time?

Sorry for having questions rather than ideas but i can't think of much to help.

Good Luck and i hope you get it sorted out.

Nic

No, no placement has been sorted out yet, and she still hasn't rung me up either. The idea of him actually working IN the school is a great idea, surely they could treat it as proper work experience, he'd be on familiar grounds and with a TA. I have no idea who is responsible for my son during work experience, if he is off-grounds then that would become the employer I suppose, and that could be fun.... The TA, or rather, the range of TAs used for him, if not used BY him, school is always rather quick in putting them to work elsewhere, they are always short of helpers.

:rolleyes: this wa a huge problem with me in year 11 i had work experience at a aquatics store down the road and it had to be the most terrifying thing i have had to do..once i got in there to work i was made to serve customers and put fish in there bags with water without been told what to do.and i only lasted till 1 0'clock i was afraid every time i heared the bell go on the front door. when i served customers i had to go on ladders to reach the tanks and my legs were shaking so much you could hear the step ladders shaking.. and was even afraid to ask to go to lunch and battled through it and eventually i passed out when i got home my mom said i was pail white and then fainted on the sofa and had sweat all over my t-shirt. so that was my work experience im afraid to say but i hope that no1 else experiences what i did..

ive just read your comments and see some ar confused with work experience... and i can tell you more about it..so far i can say that i started work experience in october in year 11.and it is for a week. and you have to sort out the placement witch is kind of hard with people getting turned down for placements..i got turned down 4 times before eventually gettin the one i did.

Edited by Karen A
Detail re MSN address removed.Karen.

Thanks Lukey, for telling us about your experience. I would like it to go well for my son, so he does not have to go what you went through.

It seems that the timing and amount of work experience is different in different areas, in our area it is held at the very end of the school year, for two weeks.

The teacher has still not rung me, and I have left messages for her via my son's home to school book. His unit assures me the messages have been passed on, hopefully she'll ring in the next few days so this can finally be sorted out. I am waiting to see what comes of this phonecall before going to the CAB, due to the distance involved. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Lukey, for telling us about your experience. I would like it to go well for my son, so he does not have to go what you went through.

It seems that the timing and amount of work experience is different in different areas, in our area it is held at the very end of the school year, for two weeks.

The teacher has still not rung me, and I have left messages for her via my son's home to school book. His unit assures me the messages have been passed on, hopefully she'll ring in the next few days so this can finally be sorted out. I am waiting to see what comes of this phonecall before going to the CAB, due to the distance involved. Fingers crossed.

Hi Mother in Need,

Wondered if you'd heard anything yet for your son's placement.

Our daughter had a phone call today from the careers office - they rung while I was in work and my mum took the call but they wanted to speak to my daughter - they told her they had a placement in Caerleon which is about 15 miles away (and not easily accessible by bus - even if she would go on it!) - doing interior design or nameplate design - both of which she does not want to do - my mum then asked to speak to them because my daughter got upset - they told my mum that my daughter would have to sort something out for herself if she didn't accept this - and mum told her that would be quite difficult for her to do and explained her ASD - they said that unless she was statemented there was nothing they could do more to help.

Tonight my daughter is in a state - upset about everything from the fact that they wanted to speak to her in the beginning and then that she will have to sort it all out herself.

Going to ring myself tomorrow and see what they say.

Hope you've had better luck for yours.

Take care,

Jb

We're still waiting to hear too - I hope we have more luck than you. The boys are doing it three weeks after they return from the non-Easter holidays, so we better hear soon!