JsMum

This forum is a life saver thanks Aspergers ASD UK

kathryn :o my secret is out,thats the other forum i belong to :D my username is maypole and im most active in the pub thread- :thumbs: (there really is a pub thread!!) :cheers::cheers::drunk::drunk::lol:

Not a very active board is it? Maybe because they're all down the pub most of the time... .

:wine::star:

K x

l just want to get back to the original topic and say thanks guys for being there, you are the only ones who really understand :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

l just want to get back to the original topic and say thanks guys for being there, you are the only ones who really understand :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

i agree,this forum has got me through many a tough time

I have a term for that too, it's called 'get out of jail free card' :lol:

Haha :lol: :lol: Thanks, I needed a laugh :)

Yes, we DO like to keep a clean (I wouldn't say squeaky clean

And we know who's fault that is . . . :whistle::devil:

there are places where it is approriate to empower that freedom

Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park, London, Sunday morning. :) Very very funny :whistle:

Sorry I'm dragging this off topic, tis a talent of mine :ph34r:

Well they say we all have to be good at something :whistle::devil:

I uses to be part of a folk singing/morris dancing pub band trio - all three of us were single dads...

you may have heard of us... the mummers and the papas :lol::lol:

Now it's jokes of that quality that make this place a life-saver :clap::whistle:

I uses to be part of a folk singing/morris dancing pub band trio - all three of us were single dads...

you may have heard of us... the mummers and the papas :lol::lol:

Ouch!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think tolerance should extend this far - people making such jokes should definitely be PUNished!!

K x :P

I didnt know you were a pole dancer Hev :lol:

ooh yes ive danced round many a pole in my time :devil::devil: you like my pole dancing dont you baddad?

I prefer Flozza's North Pole dancing :)

Living in Gravesend I 'd have thought you were more into 'Riverdance'...

I've also heard you do line dancing on a Friday night... standing in line at the kebab shop and dancing around 'cos you need a pee... I dunno, there's cameras everywhere these days!

:D

Yes, we DO like to keep a clean (I wouldn't say squeaky clean, but definitely cleanish|) board, purely and simply because we want it to appeal to and be appropriate for the widest number of users.

If we think that something is likely to be offensive to significant numbers of our members - or maybe even EXTREMELY offensive to a smallish number (i.e. politics, race, religion etc) we moderate accordingly. Some will consider that 'nannying', others (the majority here, I hope) see it as a necessary and reasonable precaution (except when it is them being moderated! :lol: - You know who you are, no names no pack drill etc!) Some actually don't think we go far enough, and certainly despite our best efforts there are occassional slanging matches that get out of hand and cause Huooooge offense left right and centre :)

There is also the issue of discussing controversial stuff that is not likely to harm anybody. Many forum moderators dislike forum members from posting stuff that is technically legal but is frowned upon by polite society or could be used for criminal intent because it might tarnish the image of the forum. Things like how to make napalm is an example of this.

There is also the issue of discussing controversial stuff that is not likely to harm anybody. Many forum moderators dislike forum members from posting stuff that is technically legal but is frowned upon by polite society or could be used for criminal intent because it might tarnish the image of the forum. Things like how to make napalm is an example of this.

Oh please don't teach my son how to make Napalm, It would be just the sort of thing he would be fascinated by!

Then he'd watch the street go up and be surprised that things could go so wrong so fast.

There are so many different forums out there for posting all sorts of exciting information, but this one has a particular focus that people tend to stick to.

I have made nitroglycerine and dynamite in the distant past....fond memories of when I found chemistry fun.

Oh please don't teach my son how to make Napalm, It would be just the sort of thing he would be fascinated by!

Then he'd watch the street go up and be surprised that things could go so wrong so fast.

There are so many different forums out there for posting all sorts of exciting information, but this one has a particular focus that people tend to stick to.

Napalm sticks to things.

I have made nitroglycerine and dynamite in the distant past....fond memories of when I found chemistry fun.

Nitroglycerine is quite easy to make from ingredients found in secondary school chemistry labs.

Napalm sticks to things.

If you intended that comment as a joke, then you and I have a similar sense of humour in some areas

Nitroglycerine is quite easy to make from ingredients found in secondary school chemistry labs.

And when you drop it onto a concrete floor using a pipette, it explodes in a little bang.

Then when I was 13, I was incarcerated in a convent school for three years, and told that Science Isn't For Girls.

And when you drop it onto a concrete floor using a pipette, it explodes in a little bang.

You must have made the stuff properly then. I filled a conical flask with the acids then streamed the glycerine in using a burette resulting in a big bang.

Guess you weren't educated in a Forces school then Canopus. If the army can't make things go bang, who can?

It's OK Flora, this is in the dim and distant past, along with cheesecloth, ankle bracelets and camping at festivals without a tent.

Now I'm respectable and post on erudite and helpful forums like this one.

I'm all respectable now, a little, grey-haired school teacher. :whistle:

Now I'm respectable

:lol: :lol: :lol::P

This from the woman who's bringing a wheelbarrow to the Greenwich meet as transport home :drunk:

:whistle: :whistle: :devil:

If you will allow me to put my pennyworth in. I have to say that one of the reasons I like this site even though I disappear for a while is because it has very positive feel. This is from somone who has had accounts deleted on various sites including adult sites becuae i upset people :thumbs:

I think I know the point that canopus is making.

There would be more adults with AS if the moderators weren't so paranoid about certain things. I know several adults with AS who read this forum almost every day but don't post articles because they think the moderators are politically correct control freaks.

From my experiences of ASD sites they can be almost anti neurotypical as if AS is the "master race" very aggressive and attacking any point of view that does fit in with their own and to voice your views or criticisms is taken as blasphemy. I can see how an adult with AS can feel as if they have to behave in a neurotypical way. Yes I know that not all AS adults feel like this. I covered my views on this on another thread about accepting the autism in my kids. I as an NT parent have been attacked because I spoke of my sons regression into autism following his MMR vaccine. I was accused of not loving my son and by trying to improve certain aspects of his autism that I hated my son because of his autism. Unfortunately there was a grain of truth in this that even i struggled with. Its not that I didnt love my son I just found it hard to accept the way his autism affected him but that was my problem not my sons. I dont glorify my sons lack of speech or wearing nappies or smearing habits but I accept them as part of what he does. My acceptance caused me to go against my own social conditioning about how I believed others expected my son to behave. Its about losing the herd mentaility and stepping outside of pre=conceived ideas and beliefs. And I felt guilty about not doing everythign I possibly could to "normalise" my son.

I felt as if I had failed as a parent.

I can perhaps see a "them and us" kind of outlook from AS adults.

I can see how the site could be viewed as a bit fluffy sometimes but the site aims to accepts all point of views and trys to keep a balanced view without anyone feeling intimidated or bullied. There are many sites that allow this kind of personal attack and I unfortunately have been banned from a few :crying:

I think the sites tolerance and moderation style keeps it positive and friendly. I think its sad that some adults with AS feel as if they cant post here as hearing about AS from those who are AS is very useful for parents like myself.

Btw my part time hobby is pole dancing, so anyone fancy a spin, let me know!!! I even have my own youtube account!

Kudos peeps

Edited by CarolJ

I can perhaps see a "them and us" kind of outlook from AS adults.

No. Maybe some, but definitely not all. ASD individuals are as different (or alike) as NT individuals. ASD individuals are just that, individuals. My DX does not make me a certain way which is somehow different/detached from others. Everything I do is human behaviour, by relation of the way a DX works, everything I do comes from an autistic perspective, but that is not to say that everything I do is autistic. Our identities are composed of a whole conglomerate of influences, constraints, possibilities and potentialities. Depending on how we choose to think about identity, we have some agency in how we act within the particular structures constraining us in a particular situation and set of circumstances. I am not just Mumble the AS individual; I'm also Mumble the overly determined PhD student, Mumble the sister of someone having a tough time and various other Mumbles beside. These are not separate and easily constrained identities but ones that interact with each other. I certainly don't think in a them and us way, because that only (from my perspective) serves to be self-constraining allowing me only to be my autistic identity, rather than allowing me to be every other part that makes up who I am.

If I set up a false dichotomy of NTs as 'them' by saying they don't understand/they stop me speaking/they ... then I have to accept that I have also set up an 'us'. I can't get cross at 'they who don't understand' at the same time as being annoyed at being thought of as 'other' or less important in someway, because I will have set up (or at least reproduced) the very conditions allowing that to occur. Current genetic research suggests that ASDs are part of the normal vast spectrum of the population, not something to the side of it. Simply (whether there really is anything simple about it), we fall to an extreme of that population where we may require support to live within and interact with it, hence why a DX is valuable. But we are still part of that population, making them and us a false belief. I am living in an NT world: surely, better than accusations is a situation where we can be tolerant and responsive (where appropriate) to individual differences, accepting of differing opinions, and willing and keen to learn from the experiences of others rather than assuming that we 'know' how something is for other people?

No. Maybe some, but definitely not all. ASD individuals are as different (or alike) as NT individuals. ASD individuals are just that, individuals. My DX does not make me a certain way which is somehow different/detached from others. Everything I do is human behaviour, by relation of the way a DX works, everything I do comes from an autistic perspective, but that is not to say that everything I do is autistic. Our identities are composed of a whole conglomerate of influences, constraints, possibilities and potentialities. Depending on how we choose to think about identity, we have some agency in how we act within the particular structures constraining us in a particular situation and set of circumstances. I am not just Mumble the AS individual; I'm also Mumble the overly determined PhD student, Mumble the sister of someone having a tough time and various other Mumbles beside. These are not separate and easily constrained identities but ones that interact with each other. I certainly don't think in a them and us way, because that only (from my perspective) serves to be self-constraining allowing me only to be my autistic identity, rather than allowing me to be every other part that makes up who I am.

If I set up a false dichotomy of NTs as 'them' by saying they don't understand/they stop me speaking/they ... then I have to accept that I have also set up an 'us'. I can't get cross at 'they who don't understand' at the same time as being annoyed at being thought of as 'other' or less important in someway, because I will have set up (or at least reproduced) the very conditions allowing that to occur. Current genetic research suggests that ASDs are part of the normal vast spectrum of the population, not something to the side of it. Simply (whether there really is anything simple about it), we fall to an extreme of that population where we may require support to live within and interact with it, hence why a DX is valuable. But we are still part of that population, making them and us a false belief. I am living in an NT world: surely, better than accusations is a situation where we can be tolerant and responsive (where appropriate) to individual differences, accepting of differing opinions, and willing and keen to learn from the experiences of others rather than assuming that we 'know' how something is for other people?

Woop woop!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Well-said that Mumble! >:D<<'>

Bid :D

thanks Mumble, damn my ###### spelling I meant to say "I can perhaps see a "them and us" kind of outlook from "some" AS adults." not on this forum but in other places.

But I have also got to say I see the truth in what you write. Neurodiversity and acceptance is the key. And we are all a product of our environment and upbringing.

Pre-conceived ideas and social conditioning all serve to influence our attitudes.

I too make mistakes and misjudge others. Its part of being human.

Thanks for your enlightening response. I say people are like onions we are made up of many layers and some of them can make you cry :crying:

I only hope that one day my son or daughter explain things to me the way you just have.

Hugs

I agree, this forum & it's members have been fantastic - such wonderful support & kind words really mean so much when you are feeling down. I came across this forum by chance & am very grateful for it. I even told my son's paed about it & he asked for the link so he could pass it on to the other mums & dads he see's!

>:D<<'>

I say people are like onions we are made up of many layers and some of them can make you cry :crying:

ive never heard that before,i think thats brilliant!!im going to say that down the school,i bet they will all think im very intelligent then!

From my experiences of ASD sites they can be almost anti neurotypical as if AS is the "master race" very aggressive and attacking any point of view that does fit in with their own and to voice your views or criticisms is taken as blasphemy.

There are plenty of corrupt AS forums out there that have an atmosphere of an AS superiority concept. Many of these forums are American, so I wonder if there is something rooted in American culture about AS that isn't present in British culture.

I think the sites tolerance and moderation style keeps it positive and friendly. I think its sad that some adults with AS feel as if they cant post here as hearing about AS from those who are AS is very useful for parents like myself.

It might stem from tensions in the real world between adults with AS and NT parents of kids with AS. Many adults with AS think that NT parents of AS kids are obsessed with trying to make their kids fit in with the system at school and act as NT as possible, as opposed to giving them support where they really need it and prepare them for life as a successful adult. Many NT parents of AS kids think that adults with AS are arrogant know-it-alls who consider their unhappy childhood experiences to be a good reason to tell the parents how to run their family life.

Many adults with AS think that NT parents of AS kids are obsessed with trying to make their kids fit in with the system at school and act as NT as possible, as opposed to giving them support where they really need it and prepare them for life as a successful adult.

Many NT parents of AS kids think that adults with AS are arrogant know-it-alls who consider their unhappy childhood experiences to be a good reason to tell the parents how to run their family life.

I hope no one here thinks either of these of me. That would upset me :(

I hope no one here thinks either of these of me. That would upset me :(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Mumble.I am sure no one here thinks either of those things of you.

Canopus.

I do not think generalisations are always helpful.The Forum is I believe a place where AS adults and NT parents of AS children are keen to support and understand each other .All of the individuals on the Forum are able to express a personal view rather than using terms such as ''many''.

The views you express may be those of some people but I certainly do not think they are supported by Forum users here.Karen.

Well, I'm not looking to start a war, and like pearl, I'd change 'many' for 'some in what Canopus said.

However, I do think that the point he makes is a valid one, that of different opinions being held by people in different camps. He wasn't being personal about any one individual, but the truth is that both viewpoints exist, and are a barrier to better understanding and communication.

For a long time, my field of expertise was multilingual communities and working with children and their parents who came from very diverse cultures.

Strongly held opinions/prejudices about other members from unfamiliar communities was a barrier, and in order to cross it, we all had to begin to listen to each other rather than dismissing others' views as irrelevant or unhelpful or just wrong.

It might stem from tensions in the real world between adults with AS and NT parents of kids with AS. Many adults with AS think that NT parents of AS kids are obsessed with trying to make their kids fit in with the system at school and act as NT as possible, as opposed to giving them support where they really need it and prepare them for life as a successful adult. Many NT parents of AS kids think that adults with AS are arrogant know-it-alls who consider their unhappy childhood experiences to be a good reason to tell the parents how to run their family life.

At no point did Canopus say that he felt that these were opinions held by members of this forum, and if he felt it was I doubt that he would bother posting here as I know from previous posts that he didn't have much fun at school ( except when you were blowing things up maybe?)

I'd hate to think that people would take a general comment personally, or that the chance to hear a different angle to a debate wasn't an opportunity to listen and wonder why, and what we can do to change things for the better.

Sorry if it doesn't make much sense, I'm just in from work and haven't had any coffee yet.

I think we're a great mix here, and I find all contributions interesting whether I agree or not. Like reading a newspaper that's not in your comfort zone, it makes you think.

At no point did Canopus say that he felt that these were opinions held by members of this forum

I'm sorry Bard, but Canopus' second statement, that you quote, was directly related to a comment about this forum and its moderation. I took it personally because it was about AS adults and this forum, both groups to which I belong. I don't want to start a war either, but at the same time I don't want people telling me what I think of others, particularly when it is not true. As an AS adult I sometimes feel I have to fight to present myself in a positive light (often with people who should understand). Comments such as those of Canopus' work against doing this.

Just to add that I have read some really quite aggressive, negative opinions about both adults with AS and the parents of kids with AS...on other ASD parent support forums, from parents with children with Kanners Autism :( Even saying that AS shouldn't be described as Autism, etc, etc...

One of the reasons I like this forum is that fact that we don't have this divide.

I think Canopus was just making a personal observation, not implying anything about anyone on here.

Bid

This is a really hard point to explain but sometimes I do feel almost envious (I don't think envious is the right word actually but I can't think of a better one) of parents of children with AS or HFA. It's not that I think for one moment that life is easier for them - I honestly dont - it really isn't that. But my son is just soooo severely affected I'm desperate to change that and I can't. For just a glimmer of hope that one day he could be independent or have a conversation or cross a road or be out of nappies ... I could go on, but I won't. Lately I find myself dwelling on who will care for him when I die - there is just no answer to this. I just think that if he was higher functioning and his learning difficulties were not so severe there would be a starting point - a baseline for starting from that I know is there for my niece, for example, with AS. She has HUGE problems to face with her autism - they are massive issues for her and her whole family - BUT she CAN understand and communicate to some extent. She can use a toilet and feed herself. She doesn't jump up and down and rock on the spot every waking moment as my son does. With care and patience she can be taught some road safety and that other people are not always well intentioned. I know my son will continue to make progress and I am HUGELY proud of him, but the facts are that his learning difficulties are so severe that he is never ever going to live an independent life. His epilepsy doesn't help his cause either - had his most serious fit yet last week - school had to call an ambulance as he wasn't coming round. I think this is where problems can arise between parents/adults withAS on forums. Sometimes it's hard not to wish for just a slightly different starting point - I'm not meaning to be contentious in any way - just trying to explain from another perspective why I think misunderstandings can sometimes occur.

Elun xx

Just to add that I have read some really quite aggressive, negative opinions about both adults with AS and the parents of kids with AS...on other ASD parent support forums, from parents with children with Kanners Autism :( Even saying that AS shouldn't be described as Autism, etc, etc...

One of the reasons I like this forum is that fact that we don't have this divide.

I think Canopus was just making a personal observation, not implying anything about anyone on here.

Bid

I'd agree with all of that bid, & meant to say so in my previous hasty post. I can only think of one thread, months ago when I first joined, that made me feel uncomfortable in that way, and the most negative comments came from someone who no longer posts here. The debates on here, thought they get passionate & heated at times, are almost always respectful of others points of view and thought provoking. I stand in awe of some of the carefully crafted posts on here that make me think, I wish I could express things so clearly.

This is a really hard point to explain but sometimes I do feel almost envious (I don't think envious is the right word actually but I can't think of a better one) of parents of children with AS or HFA. It's not that I think for one moment that life is easier for them - I honestly dont - it really isn't that. But my son is just soooo severely affected I'm desperate to change that and I can't. For just a glimmer of hope that one day he could be independent or have a conversation or cross a road or be out of nappies ... I could go on, but I won't. Lately I find myself dwelling on who will care for him when I die - there is just no answer to this. I just think that if he was higher functioning and his learning difficulties were not so severe there would be a starting point - a baseline for starting from that I know is there for my niece, for example, with AS. She has HUGE problems to face with her autism - they are massive issues for her and her whole family - BUT she CAN understand and communicate to some extent. She can use a toilet and feed herself. She doesn't jump up and down and rock on the spot every waking moment as my son does. With care and patience she can be taught some road safety and that other people are not always well intentioned. I know my son will continue to make progress and I am HUGELY proud of him, but the facts are that his learning difficulties are so severe that he is never ever going to live an independent life. His epilepsy doesn't help his cause either - had his most serious fit yet last week - school had to call an ambulance as he wasn't coming round. I think this is where problems can arise between parents/adults withAS on forums. Sometimes it's hard not to wish for just a slightly different starting point - I'm not meaning to be contentious in any way - just trying to explain from another perspective why I think misunderstandings can sometimes occur.

Elun xx

Hi elun -

I think you raise some incredibly good points, and I think these are aspects of autism that can be overlooked sometimes. Thank you for sharing those views. >:D<<'>

I don't know if these are the 'right' words, so please forgive me if they come across badly, but the one thing i think all of us have to think about is that our 'world view' is influenced by our own experiences, and sometimes that's so far removed from another persons experience that it's hard to see where the two worlds overlap, and sometimes where they diverge. No child should ever be 'judged' because the distance between his or her world and our own is too large (or frightening) a bridge to cross, and no parent should be 'judged' for voicing their sense of loss in coming to terms with that same distance.

What matters most, I think, is finding the place of balance, where our children are 'challenged' enough to achieve their full potential and 'protected' enough to provide for those other needs. That will be different place for every child, and perhaps the hardest task we parents face is overcoming our own instincts (to protect and to challenge) and meeting them on common ground...

Happiness comes in many different packages...

Sorry. Late. I'll probably look at this post in the morning and wish I'd just gone to bed :lol::lol:

Ho hum

L&P

BD :D

Correct. It is a nutshell summary of REAL WORLD personal experiences of myself, other adults with AS, and NT adults of AS kids. I did not in any way imply they were opinions held by members of this forum. I hope nobody here has taken anything personally.

Elun xx

Elun >:D<<'>

I hope I didn't upset you by my comments :(

Bid

wow I am blown away with the replies here, all I was saying was a thankyou for been there for me, and look its open a whole can of blumin worms, from different peoples opinions to morris dancers, where did that come from, well I think I might in future be very careful with what I say in future, the replies have really brought out some very strong points.

JsMum

Correct. It is a nutshell summary of REAL WORLD personal experiences of myself, other adults with AS, and NT adults of AS kids. I did not in any way imply they were opinions held by members of this forum. I hope nobody here has taken anything personally.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> I have not taken anything personaly.I probably jumped in with a response a bit too rapidly.Karen.

wow I am blown away with the replies here, all I was saying was a thankyou for been there for me, and look its open a whole can of blumin worms, from different peoples opinions to morris dancers, where did that come from, well I think I might in future be very careful with what I say in future, the replies have really brought out some very strong points.

JsMum

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> I don't think you need to be careful in future.The original post was hardly controversial and there is nothing wrong with a bit of debate. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

OK here from this AS adult, Canopus!

Bid :)