paulathomson

how do i prove anything?

hi,

i have just received my written statement from dla confirming why ds was refused dla for a 2nd time and now i am going for an appeal...one of the main reasons that he was refused is simply that school said that when he goes on school trips he has road safety awareness and that in normal school day he has no more supervision than anyone else...

he has only been on one school trip last year...probably a good day...how can that equate to him being road safe for the other 364 days... as far as the supervision in school i have already sent dla a copy of two lots of minutes taken from school meetings i have had with multi-agencies where it confirms that he has extra supervision during playtimes and lunchtimes....

dla have no mentioned or taken into account ds's anxieties within the home...the routines...his communication difficulties etc....ds is multi-dx'd with hfa/add and expressive and receptive language delay...he is due to be assessed by ed.psych on 11th march..

can anyone give me some advice because i think im going to lose this battle unless i get some ideas....

i dont know what else i can do to prove to dla that what the school have said is distortion and that i am telling the truth...

First advice, go to the Citizen advice or see a welfare officer for assistance.

Secondly all your evidence will be from his mutli-agencies....schools nearly always 'play it down for DLA'. Speak to them ask if they will support your claim and if they will ask for them to send letter of support.

Collate everything with your adviser, ask them to attend the tribunal with you.

At the tribunal STICK TO YOUR GUNS. The solicitor is there to ensure the letter of the law is adhered to, they have no medical qualifications. That's the doctors job who will also be there. They're the ones you point out the medical, psychological etc problems to. If you feel the doctor is not understanding the medical problem ask if they have knowledge of it. My tribunal for my condition, hypermobility syndrome, the doctor had read up on it and was very knowledgeable BUT when he asked some questions I asked him if he was aware of the condition first. He told me he had researched it and that also informed the solicitor that the doctor was the knowledgeable one on this, not him. In fact the Doctor corrected the solicitor when he tried to be smart....had a real dig at him actually!

At the tribunal look at the person asking question square in the face. Tell them if you do not understand them, they may try to intimidate (the solicitor especially). They are only trying to get you to 'show' you are lieing...which your not!

It will be stressful, but on winning you will get it all the award back dated. Be guided by the CB or welfare, and ask for them to attend the tribunal as your support and spokes person if necessary.

Hi,

I would also look at the ofsted report for that school on how well they are with thier sen practise as a senco doesnt have to be qualified in that feild. I torn mine apart regarding taking child out of school and went to an tribunal after a year of fighting and won the whole year backdated money with a sorry from the tribunal too.

Hi,

I would also look at the ofsted report for that school on how well they are with thier sen practise as a senco doesnt have to be qualified in that feild. I torn mine apart regarding taking child out of school and went to an tribunal after a year of fighting and won the whole year backdated money with a sorry from the tribunal too.

hi i have had a look at the ofsted report but i cant find anything about SEN practise...and the report is quite old 2005 so they are due for another one soon...i do know that the previous SEN said there was nothin wrong with my son's speech and after a full language test was found that he was behind by over 4 years...from this year there is a new SEN...but to be honest i dont think that there is anyone in the school who has an idea about ASD's...because when i try to explain anything they look at me like i have two heads!!!