Brook

ANXIETY MEDS..?

Hi all,

Could I be nosey..? if your children are on meds for anxiety, what meds are they on..?

Do they have any side affects that are mentioned..? and have you seen an improvement in anxiety..?

Have a feeling we are about to go down this road, and I need to get as much info as poss.

thanks a lot

Brook :)

Edited by Brook

Hi Brooke, my girl is on citalopram because the anxiety was so intense it led to her lashing out and trying to get away. The amount of things she was anxious at were increasing and it got to the point we were prisoners in our home.

First, she was trialled on imipramine, and her anxiety rocketed. She was running from her own shadow literally, ducking from birds flying over etc.

Second, the consultant perscribed prozac. It was a miracle drug and my daughter was not anxious however, she had no inhabitions at all. So she went from being frightened to having no "brakes" and just did not stop. The hyperactivity and risks were putting her at increase risk of harm, a big no no!

So then we trialled citalopram drops and I have to say it has been wonderful. She still get anxious at odd things, but it is at a level that we can live with much better. It has also stopped the fears escalating.

I hope that helps. It took us a while to find the right drug, but now we have, things are not perfect, but it is much better.

Hi Brook,

I think we just clicked lucky with OJ. He was put on Prozac for his anxiety almost 18mths ago and he has been absolutely fine on it. I have noticed if he doesn't take it for a few days that the worries become bigger, his volume control goes up and he verbalises every thought in his head.

The anxiety hasn't gone away but I do believe it has helped keep him calmer and seeing how well he has coped with the transition to secondary school tells me it was the right decision to put him on it. Having said that each child is different and their physiological make up will determine which medication is right for them.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Stella xx

Thanks so much darky & Stella :thumbs:

I have always been a little in the dark until now about meds, I've put them off for as long as possible but now am feeling that I have done the wrong thing and his anxieties have escalated.. :( I know that each and every one of us parents do not take the decision lightly to put our kids on meds and if I'm honest it's one of the toughest decisions I will make, but I have to do what is 'right' for my son and not what is 'right' for how I feel about it.. we have been re-referred to CAMHS and the paed said they should give him something for anxiety and also rule out tourette's as he has some motor and vocal tics that seem to come and go.

He has also developed some 'compulsions' which I believe are the result of high anxiety due to him trying soooo hard everyday. He was dx ASD over five yrs ago, also mild ADHD.

We just have to wait for the appointment now, but I know he needs something to help him out, some days he cannot stop himself constantly talking and cannot switch off when he goes to bed.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted, but it might be a bit of a wait with the waiting lists etc.. :rolleyes:

I will read up as much as I can.

Brook :)

Hi Brooke, Nick is on sertraline for his anxiety, although l honestly dont think it helps much, he still worries about things and has lots of compulsions :tearful:

DP isn't autistic but she does have severe anxiety and panic disorder so I figured I'd reply!

She's tried citalopram and it was horrendous - she ended up pratically convulsing with it and had to come off it, prozac didn't do anything for her neither did most of the other meds she tried (at last count it was 10).

She's currently on atenolol (beta blocker), haloperidol and lofepramine (a combination that works well for her paranoia, depression and anxiety) but it's taken over 5 years and many, many different combinations to find what works for her.

Off meds she's a mess, on meds she can just about cope through the day. Having seen the difference medication makes to her I'd strongly recommend trying your daughter on whatever is suggested for her -yes, there may well be side effects (DP feels faint a lot, feels itchy all the time - she takes antihistamines for that - and sweating) but the benefits are well worth it.

DP isn't autistic but she does have severe anxiety and panic disorder so I figured I'd reply!

She's tried citalopram and it was horrendous - she ended up pratically convulsing with it and had to come off it, prozac didn't do anything for her neither did most of the other meds she tried (at last count it was 10).

She's currently on atenolol (beta blocker), haloperidol and lofepramine (a combination that works well for her paranoia, depression and anxiety) but it's taken over 5 years and many, many different combinations to find what works for her.

Off meds she's a mess, on meds she can just about cope through the day. Having seen the difference medication makes to her I'd strongly recommend trying your daughter on whatever is suggested for her -yes, there may well be side effects (DP feels faint a lot, feels itchy all the time - she takes antihistamines for that - and sweating) but the benefits are well worth it.

I would look at asking the GP to check your daughters blood pressure, the beta blocker may be effecting this to flutuate too much, feeling faint can be a sign that the Blood pressure is too Low, you can fit if it goes low enough, also the itchy could be a sign of allergy, so this would need further physical examination maybe blood counts to ensure for anemia.

JsMum

I am not on medication and never have been. But I suffer from strong anxiety attacks in unfamiliar surroundings, like shops and I can't just go into a shop and buy something and I definitely couldn't call someone on the phone, I wish there was something that I could take to try and control this.

If you use it as prescribed, it's extremely unlikely you would become addicted to it. It's very rare. Too many people get put off taking benzodiazapines and narcotics because of horror stories of addiction, and put themselves through a whole load of unnecessary pain/anxiety/whatever because of it.

I think I'm less worried about addiction and more concerned about possible side effects. This is based on my experience of antidepressants though. I would rather deal with the anxiety than be a zombie.

Has anyone ever tried those herbal ones you can get from healthfood stores, you spray them on your tongue for 'comfort', can't remember what they're called. I'm thinking of trying that with Jay at the moment.

~ Mel ~

Since you are not taking them all the time, you are not likely to get side effects in the same way as you would with antidepressants, and they would not last as long either. It might be worth taking one on a day when you have no plans, just to see how they affect you.

Has anyone ever tried those herbal ones you can get from healthfood stores, you spray them on your tongue for 'comfort', can't remember what they're called. I'm thinking of trying that with Jay at the moment.

~ Mel ~

Rescue Remedy I think its called, tried it but nor sure it makes much difference and it tastes like sherry LOL

Well I have taken it a few times so far. I made the big mistake of taking it before an exam, it made my brain hyper focussed on the letter a on the keyboard and my brain wasn't functioning properly. I almost fell asleep during it as well. It felt like everything was going at half speed, very bizarre. :unsure:

i have social anx disorda ,(of dx!) wen dx wid AS!

paranoia and panic attacks and anxiety (un dx)

go adult services MHT but dont find pyschtrist useful ,ay suggest telling him how bad all of thees things above get me bt doubt hell suggest meds on his own but gets so bad wid loud noises! ahh driving me mad!

any ideas at all?! any would be welcome any one like me on here plz?!

take care

KLX

i have social anx disorda ,(of dx!) wen dx wid AS!

paranoia and panic attacks and anxiety (un dx)

go adult services MHT but dont find pyschtrist useful ,ay suggest telling him how bad all of thees things above get me bt doubt hell suggest meds on his own but gets so bad wid loud noises! ahh driving me mad!

any ideas at all?! any would be welcome any one like me on here plz?!

take care

KLX