Sign in to follow this  
Toot Sweets!

choroid plexus cysts

Hi, does anyone know of a link between choroid plexus cysts (in prenatal scan) and ASD/AS?

My DS (B 3yrs - dx ASD) had 1 cyst noted in prenatal scans, we were told that this shows soft markers for various conditions. We had to be re-scanned on numerous occassions, very worried at the time; although my sister in law had been through a similar thing 4 months earlier, so it was 'old news', and was born with no health problems.

3 years down the line, my DS has been diagnosed ASD, and there are concerns that my nephew is AS.

We have just had a second son, 18 weeks ago, he had two cysts showing on the scan, but 3 years on, they don't re-scan - and say it is very common; we however, have major concerns.

We mentioned this to B's neurodisability Paedy - who said that it was un-related, but a web search on CPC's rings alarm bells....

Has anyone had a similar experience/concerns???? :unsure:

Truly Scrumptious.

I'm not aware that there are any 'soft markers' for ASD.

With my DS#2 there were soft markers in his heart?) which were indicative of possible Downs, and we had a detailed scan which ruled out the condition.

Bid

Edited by bid

J has AS and there wasn't any soft markers that showed up on any of his scans. Even right up till about a week before he was born everything looked fine. I has a scan about a 5 days to a week before he was born as I was in labour early and it had been stopped and they wanted to make sure he was ok.

I think there are lots of incidences that can impact on wether a child develops/is born with autism.My sons pregnancy was traumatic he failed to thrive and was a sickly baby.He also developed dangerously high jaundice a week after birth and had it for 6 wks after.I,ve looked on the inter net and found that this can cause problems in brain development/function.I think it ,s difficult to get to the root cause of autism etc :unsure: so many factors come into play and by talking to other parents you discover everyone,s thoughts and circumstances are different.best wishes suzex

I think that that type of cyst has a small link with Edwards Syndrome.

But as with most of these type of tests - it's not a definate sign of difficulties with future development.

My son has an acnaroid cyst on the right frontal lobe - found after birth. At the time i did ask if that would increase his 'risk' of certain problems - i was told not likely, but they couldn't give me a definate answer. It's so difficult to tell in a baby or pregnancy what will happen years on.

>:D<<'>

Just found this........

"Choroid plexus cysts (CPCs)

To be told your baby has a cyst or cysts in its brain is scary. In fact, a choroid plexus cyst is just a collection of fluid in the part of the brain which makes the fluid that cushions the brain and spinal cord. The "cyst" is simply a small build-up of fluid as it moves through the connecting tubes. As the baby grows so the tubes get bigger, and the fluid moves on. CPCs are almost always gone by 24 weeks and do no harm to the baby's brain.

CPCs, which look like black spots in the hemispheres of the brain, were first identified in the 1980s. They caused a scare initially because many babies with Edwards syndrome were found to have them. However, research has shown that Edwards babies also have other abnormalities, such as strawberry-shaped heads (see image 1, below), overlapping fingers and abnormal feet, heart, kidney or abdominal problems.

It is now known that one per cent of all babies have one or more CPCs in early pregnancy (see image 2, below). In the absence of other markers (isolated CPCs) they are insignificant and sonographers in many hospitals do not even mention them any more. "

Hi,

Thanks for the response!

Sorry about the confusion, the soft markers we were told of, didn't specify Autism, however I have read on other sites that other reasearch about CPC's maybe linked with Autism, and circumstantial evidence in our family pointed us to think this.

Probably just worrying too much!!!

T.Scrumptious.

Hi,

Thanks for the response!

Sorry about the confusion, the soft markers we were told of, didn't specify Autism, however I have read on other sites that other reasearch about CPC's maybe linked with Autism, and circumstantial evidence in our family pointed us to think this.

Probably just worrying too much!!!

T.Scrumptious.

My son also had cysts and we had many follow up ultrasounds to keep an eye on them. They were gone by the last ultrasound. He was diagnosed with Autism before his second birthday, and later on because of how smart he is the changed their diagnoses to Aspergers. 
With all the research I have done I am certain that there is a connection. 
recently a friend of mine who is now 20 weeks pregnant was also told there was cysts on babes brain..