Sign in to follow this  
Brook

Youth games exclusion 'unlawful'

I think this is a great thing to happen in general for all children with disabilities. The only problem I have faced in mainstream is the insistance for inclusion even when it is not in the childs best interests. Last term, at my daughters school her year group were doing a term of swimming. My daughter endured over 2 years of swimming in her old school and got so distressed she had a fear of swimming pools. We tried private swimming lessons, but it took a lot of effort just to get her in the water. When they told me she would be doing swimming my heart sank. I did not want my daughter getting distressed again for the sake of one term. Well because of schools insistance on inclusion she did go, and what did she learn? Nothing that's what. It was all they could do to get her in the pool. Sometimes the rules put in place to help can hinder sometimes to. I just wish schools did not generalise instead of treating the child as an individual. :tearful:

I think this is a great thing to happen in general for all children with disabilities. The only problem I have faced in mainstream is the insistance for inclusion even when it is not in the childs best interests. Last term, at my daughters school her year group were doing a term of swimming. My daughter endured over 2 years of swimming in her old school and got so distressed she had a fear of swimming pools. We tried private swimming lessons, but it took a lot of effort just to get her in the water. When they told me she would be doing swimming my heart sank. I did not want my daughter getting distressed again for the sake of one term. Well because of schools insistance on inclusion she did go, and what did she learn? Nothing that's what. It was all they could do to get her in the pool. Sometimes the rules put in place to help can hinder sometimes to. I just wish schools did not generalise instead of treating the child as an individual. :tearful:

:notworthy: its about time but......................

J started swimming last year with the school i have never pushed it with him from an early age because he hates baths never mind a swimming pool. Anyway school insisted he had to go as it was part of the "curriculum " (sp) and have frightened him to death in the process. His meltdowns never happen in public he stores them till he gets to a place of safety and the school are insisting that he really enjoyed them :rolleyes: if they had seen him on the morning of swimming and after they would change their minds. Now they want him to go after easter he didnt learn how to swim in the last block, he has no intention of ever lifting his feet off the swimming pool floor :wallbash: he is pooping himself and they have frightened him into thinking that he HAS to do them. Yes they should treat every child as an individual, they should listen to them and ask THEM what they want to do.