ellisisamazing

Non-Verbal ASD

Ellis is 6 in July and still non verbal, also still in nappies and using a baby bottle. Just curious to know if any of you are parents to a 'gobbledeegooker'? ( I mean that phrase as a term of endearment, before I upset anybody!) :)

Also if your child was nv and is now verbal, when did they start chattering?

Ellis had several words up to the 18 month point which disappeared just after his MMR vaccination (I am not blaming that either, but you never know!) :huh:

Edited by ellisisamazing

Logan is only 4.5 but he is completely non-verbal and never has spoken. He's not usually that vocal either, although he has made more sounds lately. He's still in nappies and will be for a while I think. He doesn't use a bottle, and hasn't since he was around a year, but he does use a lidded beaker (in fact will only use one specific kind or wont drink!).

Lynne x

Logan is only 4.5 but he is completely non-verbal and never has spoken. He's not usually that vocal either, although he has made more sounds lately. He's still in nappies and will be for a while I think. He doesn't use a bottle, and hasn't since he was around a year, but he does use a lidded beaker (in fact will only use one specific kind or wont drink!).

Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

El is quite similar as your Lynden then, no words at all! I once thought he called me Daddy (I must have been having a rough day!), but as time goes on and he makes more grunts and babbles I am more convinced it was something that sounds like Daddy and maybe I was living in hope too much (he still makes this particular sound and it varies in his tone so it's more soundlike than wordlike!).....he is quite noisy and 'sings' alot, very tuneful, repetitive and I haven't clue what it means! :wacko: But very entertaining, accompanied by totally rhythmless dad dancing! :clap:

Edited by ellisisamazing

Just a quick reply but just wanted to say hi. Jaden is 5, non verbal, still in nappies and drinks from a bottle. Will add more to my post after the weekend...just wanted to say you are not alone :D

Just a quick reply but just wanted to say hi. Jaden is 5, non verbal, still in nappies and drinks from a bottle. Will add more to my post after the weekend...just wanted to say you are not alone :D

Hi Jadensmum,

Yep, I will look forward that and would love to chat more with you...thanks! :)

Lisa x

My friends son did not speak at the age of 5. So she took a radical step and changed everyones diet completely. She only served up organic food and meat and within a few months her son was talking.

Her son is now 13 and attends an ASD residental school. He comes home for weekends and holidays.

My dd is virtually non-verbal too, she is 11. Over the years she has learned a few simple things eg 'I want drink please', it was learned through using PECS with verbal prompts. She still has very little speech but displays a lot of echolalia and you can often figure out what she is singing in her babbly way. She vocalises a lot and will use the same noises to display emotions, eg when she is angry and upset she does exactly the same build up to an ear piercing scream which hurts my ears owwww!!!

I think she would learn a lot more if school actually bothered using PECS as communication instead of just for timetables :wallbash:

As for the nappies thing, she just clicked at 6.5years, we were on holiday and she thought it was great fun to go to the toilet in the caravan every two minutes. She never wore another nappy!

e2a would he use a sports bottle instead of a baby one? DD still uses one as she just can't fathom how not to spill drinks :rolleyes:

Edited by mandyque

>:D<<'> Hi,

O is very noisy - he sings and hums a lot - always accompanied by lots of jumping on the spot. He has labels for things that are important to him and, like Mandy's daughter, he knows some sentences that he copied while using pecs. He also uses echolalia so if you say to him 'do you want a drink O?' he will repeat back 'do you want a drink O?' He can learn songs very quickly but the words have limited meaning for him. He was completely non verbal until aged 3 and then the songs and echolalia started. If people ask me 'Can O speak?' I find it's quite difficult to explain to people. Yes he can form words but there's so much more to communication! We are yet to have a 'conversation!' But I live in hope. He is 6 now

Elun xxx

You already know about my friends son E ... I think he was past 6 when he first started talking when riding a horse & has never shut up since :thumbs:

You already know about my friends son E ... I think he was past 6 when he first started talking when riding a horse & has never shut up since :thumbs:

I love that, Pearl! Ellis is still riding every tuesday and he love its! I would love to hear him talk so much!

He is babbling such a lot, but I haven't clue what it's about! :huh:

B is 6 non-verbal but very noisy. Although he can say no and mean it. Still in nappies although will now wee in the toilet if put on it and asked then rewarded. Still uses baby bottle. Prefers to wrap round ponies leg and bite its bum rather than riding it :whistle: I feel that if he ever gets talking he would improve so much. He gets very frustrated at not being able to say what he wants then he bites scratches pinches etc. He understands exchanging in pecs but does not distinguish between pictures so cannot ask for the item he really wants. Hobbies at the moment are bouncy balls and getting mouthfuls of water and squirting it out at people :shame: He is beginning to understand more of what is said to him (it is difficult to know how much he understands)and will follow very simple instructions but only if he is in the right mood.

Hmm Interesting question...

James is 4 and effectively non verbal - by which I mean he has a vast vocabulary but uses virtually none of it effectively. So he could ask for a drink, name a cat, say he's hungry but he doesn't. So I have to guess what's wrong with him which is incredibly frustrating. He has no motivation to express himself and will just put up with hunger/wet nappies/sore foot/boredom even when I make it easy for him to access the alternative.

James was speaking in 6 plus word sentences just after he was two - some of them were echoed phrases (developmentally appropriate way of learning the use of language) but some were self constructed eg Jamie thread the orange cotton reel on the lace. As his autism declared itself, he stopped talking in a useful manner and went on to a period of intense delayed echolalia - so he could recite the whole of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" or "Green Eggs and Ham" and would recite whole passages of books to himself to soothe himself. Now he doesn't even do that :crying: I've no idea if he'll ever regain language :tearful: He does have a lovely range of squeals, squawks and screams which are so high pitched they put me on edge - I know that every behaviour is a form of communication but this one is VERY tiresome....

At 2 we could probably have tackled toilet training as he was using the potty for poos and occasional wees. I was pregnant and decided to leave it until the summer when he was 2 and a half. By that time his autism was declaring itself and he stopped using the potty. He hasn't used the potty or toilet reliably since. I can't see us getting him out of nappies for a long time yet - he isn't bothered (I use cloth nappies and have very occasionally had to leave him in a wet nappy all day :oops: and he's never shown any signs of distress or awareness).

James stopped using a teat when he was one and used a beaker spout for all drinks from then. He could use an open cup now but I can't trust him with it - he'll either wander around with it at a 45 degree angle or he'll deliberately pour it all over the floor/table/sofa. Both scenarios are irritating so I give him a lidded beaker unless we're sitting down for a meal.

Shamu

;)

Tom was speaking normally at 18 months - then started losing words. By 2 all he would say was numbers - he counted to 15 in English & 12 in Spanish!

He started reciting songs in giberish & babble when he was about 3. We did Makaton signing with him and some words did come back, that was 12 months ago. Now at 5 he can say single words to request food / juice etc but will recite entire TV programs or books. Not in nappies but not exactly toilet trained either :rolleyes:

Like Elun 1 said - I get asked if Tom is speaking yet - I say he talks but doesn't communicate YET! Big inflection on the Yet!!

PECs didn't work for us but Makaton did. If you find Elliss' breakthrough you might open the flood gates like we have! Tom is improving with his speech all the time at the moment.

Our son is totally non-verbal and always has been. However, he is noisy when the mood takes him and it is very easy indeed to determine his mood - just by listening to him. Makaton is a non-starter on him and he uses PECS in a very rudimentary, haphazard fashion and only for the basics (drink, food). He often hums nursery rhymes (not in their entirety, just enough to make his renditions recognisable). He occasionally wees on the toilet but this depends on many things and is not consistent. He will use only a baby bottle. I do not believe he will ever master speech (meaningful or otherwise) and I think there is only a slim chance that he will one day be toilet trained. He seems content as he is.

H was totally non-verbal until a bit after his third birthday and started to speak around the same time his younger sister did. He still has communication issues but his speech is more or less normal for his age now.

Simon

>:D<<'> Hi,

O is very noisy - he sings and hums a lot - always accompanied by lots of jumping on the spot. He has labels for things that are important to him and, like Mandy's daughter, he knows some sentences that he copied while using pecs. He also uses echolalia so if you say to him 'do you want a drink O?' he will repeat back 'do you want a drink O?' He can learn songs very quickly but the words have limited meaning for him. He was completely non verbal until aged 3 and then the songs and echolalia started. If people ask me 'Can O speak?' I find it's quite difficult to explain to people. Yes he can form words but there's so much more to communication! We are yet to have a 'conversation!' But I live in hope. He is 6 now

Elun xxx

K is the same and is 7 , he did talk about 18 months and stopped at two and half , most of his speech now is copied from tv with a wicked american accent , if we say K don't do that he says K don't do that

My nephew is 9 next week and is non-verbal and still in nappies and uses a feeding cup

S started babbling and singing at 3, We finally toilet trained him at 5-6 but he still wont use the loo at night. Although he is talking now at 7, his speech is still very immature and so is his comprehension of what we say.

Hi. My son Kyle was non-verbal, the only word/s he had ever said was "oh dear". Last year, just before his 5th birthday he suddenly came out with "car" and "digger" on the same day and we couldn't believe our ears! I thought that would be it, but he hasn't stopped since, and will repeat everything we say, although it's not very clear.

He still only uses single words, and if you say Hello Kyle to him he just repeats it back to you rather than say Hello Mummy, but it is so lovely to hear him talk as we never thought he would. He undertands so much more now as well, you can ask him to fetch things and he will now! (Always handy, lol!!)

He was in nappies till last September, the school had been trying to train him before the summer holidays but I hadn't done much over the hols (had a newborn baby to deal with!) but when he went back they put pants on him and that was it! He's still in nappies at night, but DS1 was in night nappies till he was 6.5. (he's NT) and lots of DHs and mine family were bedwetters so I'm not too bothered about that.

He had a babies bottle till he started school, when I just stopped him. He only had it for milk before bed, I tried giving him milk in a cup or beaker but he just stopped drinking milk. (will drink milkshake though) He started using a proper cup last year as well, before that he'd tip the whole lot over him!

I have to say that Kyle's school has been absolutely brilliant and I think a lot of what he's achieved has been down to their wonderful help. He loves it there so much! (I sometimes think he prefers it to home!!)

Vix

xx

I was non-verbal until around age 10 when I did begin saying the occasional thing to the boy who sat next to me in class. I didn't start talking to other children properly until I was 14 and then it was limited to mostly outside school. From my own point of view, it wasn't a problem but it seemed that everyone around me wanted me to speak and that included teachers, children, family etc. The problem when I did start speaking was saying the wrong thing - bet they wished they had never asked : )

J started talking at the age of 1 - just a few words but then lost them all (around the time of his MMR - but could be coincidence). He was then non-verbal until about 3 when he started special pre-school for children with speech, language and communication difficulties. He then developed babbling which progressed onto echolalia ( he could recite adverts from memory) but also repeated questions back to you - like do you want a drink? instead of answering the question with a yes or a no. Then he started answering everything with yes - even if he meant no. he was talking quite well by the time he went to school and by 4.5 years he was no-longer receiving any extra therapy. Although he doesn't stop talking now (mainly about play station game), he still can not communicate well, especially when distressed. He is now nearly 8.

H is 3 years and 4 months (hasn't had MMR) but his speech never developed at all. He started saying a couple of words at age 2, but over the last year hasn't really progressed. He can probably say about 5 words -Car, bubble, purple, bye bye, uh-oh and says a handful of meaningful sounds ( ay for train and plane and milkshake, ey-ey for mummy, il for milk, i-i for biscuit etc.) . But he doesn't often spontaneously use words (except when he wants milkshake, or sees a car, train or plane!) Not sure if he is quite non-verbal, but pretty much 95% of the time he is.

His SALT assessment has him on the 1st centile for expressive and receptive language, so is diagnosed with severe speech disorder, but not yet ASD (though I expect that will come in time - but he doesn't quite fit all the boxes!!!.

Edited by MichelleW

My son is 2.5 and can say two word sentances and lots of echolalia but he can sing a song. I find it fascinating that he can do this but not talk the same way. He still calls me Daddy so his language isn't always appropriate either, but that song twinkle twinkle little star makes me fill up every time! :tearful: he can also add up to ten and is obsessed with shapes so can name them all pretty much.

K had to see cafcass with his dad and she said she was expecting a english child took dad ages to get her to realise that he is english but as his american accent is so strong people are now not believing us , does a good job of repeating tv word for word