Sign in to follow this  
Eva

journal writing

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on strategies to encourage my son to write in class.

He's nearly 7 and in grade 1 at school, (which is the second year of school, over here). This year he has a new teacher and a new part-time aide and there are new kids in the class so he could be feeling a bit unsettled.

In class they have a subject called 'writing', where they draw a picture and then are expected to write a sentence about the picture, such as, 'on the weekend I went to the park'. J happily does the picture but is resistant when it comes to the writing part. He is a slow writer and often loses concentration in the middle of a word, and has to be prompted a lot to complete a word. He also won't try to spell words by himself and hates making mistakes. (J is a fantastic reader and has really good comprehension). Last year though he was more willing to try and less resistant.

The other day when I was a parent -helper in class and J was refusing to write anything, I encouraged him by writing one letter and then he wrote the next and we did this for a bit until he did all of it. J does have an aide for some of the time, but she doesn't have any useful strategies except for writing the sentence for him, (not for him to copy, just to get it done). J does get tired and probably doesn't feel like he can do it, but I still think he should try and write a little bit...or is that expecting too much?

I'd appreciate any tips!!

Thanks heaps,

Eva

Not fun exactly but less tricky.

If he had word cards, then he could assemble a sentence, and as he is an excellent reader there is no reason not to have an interesting selection. He could have printed ones for the common words, then blanks for an LSA to write any specific word that he needed.

Then he can copy his sentence. By breaking the task into two smaller ones, he won't have to compose, remember and write all at the same time. That reduces the stress level.

Edited by Bard

Thanks for the tip Bard :thumbs: ,

I mentioned sentence cards to the teacher and she's interested in trying this out, so fingers crossed... :)

Eva

Hi Eva :)

Not something to transfer straight to class (but a variation could maybe work(?)), but my son's writing has improved hugely over the past year...

Basically, we would work with a five word sentence of his choosing (almost invariably this would be something involving sonic the hedgehog!),

I would then write it four times - once in 'bold' as a guide and then twice faintly as a tracing exercise

Ben would 'trace' my two faint versions, and then produce two self penned (pencilled!) versions of his own. Lots of praise and small rewards and the choice of subject matter were all good incentives at first, and he actually started to get a real buzz from it once his efforts improved.

The other thing i did was make him a slanted writing board. these can be bought, but are HUUUUGEly expensive... all i did was but a cheapo fold up 'tray' table (around 8 quid) and remove the legs and hingey bit. This left a table with two 'stops on the underside at one end and a plinth on the underside at the other. When you put it on the kitchen table with one end over the edge and pushed up tight you get a sloped writing surface that doesn't slip about. Brilliant! Even better than the shop ones, cos they don't go right to the edge of the table :)

hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Hi Eva >:D<<'>

He may need an assessment with a speech therapist and an occupational therapist.

ST can get more specific and quite possible he has trouble with phonics and narratives. Do you have 'Dominie' in Melbourne they have lots of diy kits to practise the technique Baddad is suggesting. But a speech therapist can tell you what the processing problem is - it could be worth seeing a behavioural optometrist as it could be dyslexia.

OT may recommend a pen grip they are triangular and slide on the pencil or moulded to hand shape does he hold the pencil correctly or does he hold the pencil with his fist. This could be problems with fine motor skills. Does he fall over a lot this is gross motor problems.

This could be why he struggles. See Ian Jordans website listed in resources. jordans eyes

Here is a link worth browsing

http://www.internet4classrooms.com/kplus_phonics.htm

all the best

Fran :)