ScienceGeek

Stress relief

What do you do to relieve stress? I'm looking for ideas that aren't self destructive. So far I've not found anything that hasn't been. I used to SH up until I was 20yrs old and went from that to stress eating. Any ideas? This isn't a negative post, just wanting to find a better way to deal with stress.

edit: saying that I still hit things and myself when things tip me right over the edge. :wacko:

Edited by ScienceGeek

Hi science geek,

i dont know what would work for you, depending on your sensory issues.

If my daughter is really wound up, there is not much i can do until she is tired.

To relax she likes a power shower for about 45mins.

She used to like long baths but prefers showers now.

exercise also helps.

crafting, sudoku and singing rather loudly also works.

I like to talk out what is worrying me then occupy my mind with something like crafting to distract me from whatever is annoying me.

I hope you find a solution that works for you soon

nic

Think exercise does help, my son gets up and scoots round the lounge on his microscooter, drives me nuts but seems to destress him !!!

Sometimes what works for one does not for another, eg deep breathing to relax freaks ds out.

Clare x x x

With C, if it's sensory overload - total peace and quiet, no interuptions until he emerges.

If it's general stress and hassle, I like to go for a drive - just me, Graham (that's my car... don't laugh, all my cars have had names) and music... but only when DH is home from the rig (otherwise I'd have to take the kids with me and that would defeat the purpose).

Alternatively - Sudoku... relaxes me so much I fall asleep.

I go walking with MP3 player - music at full blast!

Or go driving - again with the music really loud.

With M, he likes looking at his favourite book.

Edited by forbsay

Hi SG

I try excercise, listening to music, relaxation tapes, or a complete change in what I'm doing. I think the whole idea is to get your mind off the current issue that is causing you stress and giving it some relief. I think that is why sport is so good because it almost forces you to concentrate on what you are doing.

You could also have a look at EFT on the web.

Hi SG DD likes to draw or paint if things get too much. She also likes listening to classical music and reading. If she's out somewhere she takes a juggling ball to fiddle with or something like silly putty that you can shape and squish might help? good luck >:D<<'>

I used to sing in a choir. I had to concentrate soooo hard on getting it right that all my troubles disappeared for that hour. Must start again.