Sign in to follow this  
llisa32

Got a diagnosis today

Hi,

Was back at CAMHS today to go through all of the assessment reports etc and they have given the official diagnosis as High Functioning Autism.

The consultant I saw today was really nice and helpful, and she will write to the school with the diagnosis and ask that they in future make special arrangements for any tests/exams etc. And also to ask them to include some social comms stuff into his current IEP.

She's told me I can mail/ring her any time I have any further questions/concerns, and she has also offered to run through the diagnosis and what it means with J if we would like them to do that. I haven't decided on that yet - in terms of who will tell him (although we will tell him).

So....a very tiring last year but I feel worth it now as we all have a much better understanding of J and what things cause him difficulties etc, which in turn means we can help him with his anxiety.

She did say the only reason they decided on HFA rather than AS was because of the delayed early milestones re language development.

Now gonna go have a well earnt cup of tea!!

:notworthy: brilliant to finelly get the diagnosis and well done you it really does take a lot of energy to continue with the diagnosis road that for some is a very long drawn out event so big congratulations, :thumbs:

Swap that cuppa for a tall glass if wine, :D

JsMum

Lisa, it's a relief at first, but you may feel other things after a while and go through some greiving. Take some time to chill out and enjoy a well earned break.

take care

Flora X

Really pleased you got the dx. It makes a great deal of difference when it comes to fighting your child's corner. Onwards and upwards! :thumbs:

Karen

x

Well done :) I think Flora's advice is sensible - I don't know what it's like for a parent of a child, but I recognise some of those 'stages' after getting my dx.

I second Flora's comments too, be prepared for some mixed emotions.

Take care and let it all sink in.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

TEA? TEA?

Oh - just seen the time of your post... that's okay then :lol:

congrats on the dx (that always sounds strange, but you'll know what I mean!)

L&P

BD :D

Lisa,

>:D<<'>

Good news that you have a definite dx now.

The consultant sounds like a useful ally to have, and very supportive.

Take care,

K x

Thanks all for the thoughts >:D<<'>

It has been a weird day today....I am very relieved to finally have a diagnosis, and last night i felt really really tired - almost like I'd suddenly relaxed all at once! :)

I've spent the day kinda working, but mulling things over in the background, not gonna think about 'next steps' till next week now - gonna give my brain a rest for a week :)

Thanks again for all the support in helping me to get this far - very very much appreciated !! >:D<<'>

Lisa how old is your child? and what process did you go through, sorry for questions my dd is 7 been under pead for 3yrs and still waiting to see if she will have an assessment done but not hopeful!

Now tht you got a diagnosis would your child get more support in school

Hiya - J is now 8 and was 7 when I went to the GP expressing my concerns.

GP then referred to Camhs. After the first assessment at Camhs they said social and communication difficulties and that they would 'monitor' the situation. At that time school had not noticed as many difficulties as I had. That was in July 07 - once my son moved into year 3 in Sept 07 thats when everyone agreed there was a problem. He had anxiety attacks, school refusal, meltdowns etc.

In Oct 07 Camhs referred us for a 'multidisciplinary assessment' which basically for us involved a Psychiatrist at Camhs conducting an ADOS and DISCO assessment (they also spoke to school). We've had an Ed Psychologist assessment both at home and at school and the Ed Psych also spoke with the school. Also had a Speech and Language assessment.

It felt like a lot of assessments but I'm actually really pleased that we had them all as the information gauged has been invaluable in trying to work out how best to support my son.

The school have been making changes since Xmas to accomodate J in lessons, and I'm hopeful now that with a firm diagnosis they will continue to be accomodating. He currently does not have any one to one support, but he will require that for any future tests/exams.

If you need any more info feel free to pm me >:D<<'>