Sign in to follow this  
morgan and alexandra

PDD

Hi All

Our appt with CAHMs was brought forward to this morning and we saw a lovely Dr who deals with ADHD. She said that it might be possible that our DD may be diagnosed with PDD but I dont really know much about it and just wanted to know a bit more. I looked at the NAS website but am still a little confused. Is it ASD by a different name?

Helen

Edited by morgan and alexandra

Pervasive Developmental Disorder is on the autistic spectrum. It is often used when the person does not meet all the criteria for a diagnosis of autism, Asperger's, whatever. Other terms I've seen used in this way are "autistic traits" or "atypical autism."

Hi

my boy's diagnosis is that of PDD (NOS) or Pervasive Development Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified). In all honesty I tend to keep that to myself as the vast majority of those people that we come into contact with have so little understanding of autism, that throwing that in tends to confuse matters. So it is kept back for those who are a bit more knowledgeable on the subject.

I know that some people on other forums see it as an Americanised name for the autistic spectrum.

I think of it as Tally has described, as my son doesn't fulful the full quote of tick boxes on the 'triad of impairment', but is on the spectrum.

Thank you, just another quick question, do you get much help or support with PDD then as DD really struggling at the moment. The doctor did say that DD would prob see ASD team aswell but will phone CAHMs as not sure what the next step is. Before we moved(2 months ago) we were seen by Child development unit so all this is new to me.

In all honesty, I really don't share the PDD DX unless I am of the firm belief that the person that I am talking to has enough of an understanding of the issues. Whether that is the right or wrong way to do it, I describe him in the first instance as being on the autistic spectrum, and then go in to the details of what that means for him. Any support that he gets is through that.

We got no support from CAHMS after the DX, in fact no support from anyone. The paed let us down badly as she didn't meet the deadline for submissions to go in for the statement. I keep a contact list of people that I have found useful - the SALT, the outreach worker being the two key people, and I make sure that I touch base with them once a term or so to make sure that things are going in the right direction, and to go through any issues that are cropping up both in and outside of school.

Does that help? Feel free to PM me if you want.

My girl is dx PDD-NOS our consultant prefers the term atypical autism to describe her, means the same thing :rolleyes: She was dx this because she was only just 5 at the time of dx, and he said that the higher order language skills are hard to assess on a 5 yr old. He won't look at re-assessing her though :wallbash: My son is dx Asperger syndrome and my daughter is far more complex.

Thank you

Im not sure how to PM on here yet sorry as still quite new to the forum and still trying to work it all out. DD is very complicated bless her. Has been having terrible time trying to settle into new school, not very good at making friends or working in group situations, has meltdowns at the drop of a hat and has so may other things happening but because her obsessions, the fact that she is always compliant when she goes to drs or CAHMs etc they never can see what we on about.

Thankfully we have fantastic support from her new school who beleive that all children deserve help and will think nothing of putting her forward for statementing if they think she needs it. However, although she wanders and seems not to listen when she is at school(she very sensory) they dont see her hand flapping, noises that she makes, meltdowns etc as she tries to hold everything in and then I get it at home. We had to see ADHD dr as prev paed thought she had ADHD with delayed social and emotional behaviour. The tablets didnt work and Im very reluctant for her to go on ritalin etc as I have read such a negative press on them and also she is not hyperactive.

She is a lovely little girl and sometimes she is so good, and she can hold a good conversation with adults although she does tend to take things the wrong way all the time and also takes things literally. Over the years I have been made to feel such a bad parent but I know Im not and coming on here has really made a difference.

Thanks again

Helen

Helen, you are most definatley not a bad parent, my other half and I have been thro this for years

Our son is 13 this yr, we are going thro a second assessment, first said traits of asd only

Now, everyone is listening, school believe us, CAHMS are listening, and hopefully we geta formal diagnosis

If we d known he could not access autism support at schoolw ithout diagnosis I wouldve kicked and screamed more a yr ago, and sooner, but we didnt

Its never too late, you fight and gifgt and fight-you will be proved right xxxxxxxx

Lisa

Helen, i dont know if this will help or not but when i first started going to cahms for DS dx he would behave like an absolute angel....typical! i think they thought i was neurotic. anyway, i got sick of them looking at me like i was a loon so i started secretly recording DS behaviour on my digi-cam to show them. I dont have my official dx yet but they have unofficialy told me it is definately ASD.

Hi Mel

I haven't got a camcorder but did try and record DD on my mobile but when I played it back I realised that one of the girls had managed to switch the sound off so I'm going to have to try and catch her again. If she were to catch me, it would enrage her all the more. Its always been the same when we go for appts, her little angel wings come out and no one can see what we are on about. Like I say though, thankfully the new school can see some of what I have said to them and said I was spot on so hopefully they will see a bit more and then back me up when I need them to. I'll keep everyone posted as to how we get on.

i really hope they do back you up. im having trouble with DS school at the moment cos they insist he is just a naughty boy. Good luck, and her angel wings may come out but eventually that little halo will slip lol.

Just a quick update, I have a meeting with DDs teacher this afternoon and also CAHMs are going into school today to discuss DDs probs and then leter will be doing obs on her which is quite positive especially as we never had this much interest where we lived before. YIPPEE

I will let you know how we get on :pray:

Just a quick update, I have a meeting with DDs teacher this afternoon and also CAHMs are going into school today to discuss DDs probs and then leter will be doing obs on her which is quite positive especially as we never had this much interest where we lived before. YIPPEE

I will let you know how we get on :pray:

:thumbs::thumbs: I really hope that the interest brings about some support.Karen.