llisa32

Hamster help please

Hi - I think J's hamster might have died :(....do hamsters 'hibernate'?

He went into his little house some point yesterday morning and hasn't moved since!!

He's eaten no hammy treats or food and no amount of rattling the cage has got him outta his house!

Do hamsters hibernate or has he gone for a really long like 'forever' sleep??

I can't bring myself to prod him, so waiting for hubby to get home to do that

They can hiberate if they think it is too cold.

The best thing to do is get him/her out of his wee house. If he/she has died then they will be solid to touch.

Let me know how it goes.

Forbsay

Don't know about the hibernation, we've had quite a few hamsters, and never had one who did, but I'd take a closer look, and usually just by touching it you can see/feel that it's obviously dead.

I made my mum put one of mine hamsters on the radiator when I was little, so convinced was I that it was hibernating.....it wasn't :rolleyes:

Ours are in tupperware........they don't stand a chance if they suddenly come back to life :blink:

Someone did suggest to me that I should dig them back up again in 10 years to check if their guarantee is valid :whistle:

Bagpuss - "Ours are in tupperware........they don't stand a chance if they suddenly come back to life" !!!!! :lol::lol: - sorry that made me laugh!! You can never have too much tupperware! :lol:

Lisa - sorry - have you found out yet if the hamster has gone to a better place? If he has then >:D<<'> to you I get very upset when my creatures die, I will tell you the dead guinea pig story one day but maybe not now :rolleyes: . I have heard of hammys hibernating and looking dead when they're not, but I guess if it's cold and stiff then it's gone :tearful: .

luv Witsend.

Well.....hubby picked up the hamsters house and shook it - nuffink :(

His consensus is that hammy is stiff, cold and gone to hammy heaven

Now....I'm not sure what to do re 'burial'....J has gone for his first ever sleep over at a friends house tonight and is currently unaware Hamster has died.

Do you think I should make sure he's safely covered in/over etc and store him in the garage until J's home tomorrow incase he wants a 'burial'??

Difficult to know wether he's going to be upset or not with J...but least that way he has a choice in what happens to him

I think your right to let him decide Lisa, our girlies enjoyed :unsure: planning our hammies burials, and we even had to buy something "special" from the garden centre as a little hammie headstones :hypno:

As soon as they they were buried, all their tears dried up, and it was "Can we go to the pet shop and buy another one?" :rolleyes:

I think you are right to let your little boy decide Lisa.

I dread to think how many hamsters my mum has got buried in her garden. They all have stones and had flowers put on their graves.

I remember i had a funeral for the shrimp (he went down the toilet but he was wrapped in tissue). My little girl was crying and really upset. Later I discovered that i had the funeral for the shrimps shell and the shrimp was happily playing in his castle. I had some job explaining that one to my girl and M as well. :unsure::unsure:

We had one that hibernated. He was like the tasmanian devil, his teeth would sink to the bone, so I was enjoying actually being able to hold him & say goodbye, the warmth of my hands revived him, Snuff hadn't snuffed it & lived to terrorise us for a good few months longer.

Well....it didn't go well today :(

J got home at 3pm and brought his friend in for a quick xbox game - and straight away noticed the hamster wasn't in his cage.

Had to tell him then he'd died and he burst straight into tears, went into the corner of the room and stayed there crying for 45 minutes...

I sent everyone home, and got him talking...then his friend from next door (girl who's 3.5 yrs older) knocked for him - she came in and was great with him :)

He said he doesn't want to go to the party he was invited to in the morning because he will be burying his hamster :(

I've said it's fine with me whatever he wants to do, so fingers crossed re the rest of the weekend.

Well....Hammy got buried last night and J put a rose in the ground with him :wub:

Today the girls from next door helped him make a tombstone so we now have one of those in freshly painted glory

in the front flower bed!

J put an arrow on the 'tombstone' pointing downwards just incase anyone was in any doubt where he was....

He hasn't decided if he wants a new pet or not but seems to be a bit happier now he's given him a 'send off' :)

Well....Hammy got buried last night and J put a rose in the ground with him :wub:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> awww. Sorry missed this :( (but it was nothing to do with me ... :whistle:)

He hasn't decided if he wants a new pet or not

How about a rhino? :unsure::devil: