Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

at what stage does it have to get to before medication is thought about?

at what stage does it have to get to before medication is thought about?

i shall be asking them at camhs -when i go in march

my sons been taking iq since he was 2 -i belive this has helped him educationally with his subjects........

he was dx in may last year .........since about then or id say before his anger has gone alot worse -and hes now very aggressive to me -this used to happen mostly around changes and transitions but recently its like he wants to pick arguments with me over most things.........he will be 7 in june.

i would rather not have him on medication -im on meds myself........but im seriously started to doubt my ability to control him when he gets agressive with me -or his brother.he runs round the house jucking things about/screaming and wailing/hits me /hits his brother/bites me /refuses to co-operate over basic things/threatens me/ect ect

do you think i have the right to have this discussed at camhs ?

sometimes i feel i dont tell them enough of what really goes on at home...........at school hes a star

You really need to tell it like it is. I know it is distressing talking to other people about your inability to cope with your son's behaviour. I get really down, and normally burst into tears when I have to talk about my son's behaviour. However, if you want the help you need and deserve, you are going to have to be brutely honest.

If you think that meds are right for you son, then fetch the subject up at your next appointment at CAMHS. At the very least they can discuss the pros and cons with you.

Your son probably is a star at school, because the school day is highly structured. It is difficult to get the same amount of structure at home.

You are doing a good job in difficult circumstances.

Take care of yourself.

Hi After a trial of medication when J was seven I was seriously put off medication but over the years I have struggled with him in all areas and mostly in his impulsive behaviours that get him the most of trouble, he cant settle to games or his activities and he is severely struggling in school so for this reason J is starting another medication and going for it again because I have trouble now coping with him and his aggression is very upsetting, we are hoping that once we can reason with him and try and get the impulsive behaviour under control we can start again the anger management, at the moment there is no reasoning with him, I cant communicate effectivily so we are starting him on concerta xl to see if things can improve, I hate the idea of him been on medication but this situation is leading us to both a nervous breakdown, its all thats on offer at the moment too, our resources are very low though he is on the list for play therapy.

Could his presant medication need adjusting or another type be tried.

JsMum

Hi RQ, I think the issue of medication should be raised when things are enough of an issue for anyone to consider it!! With my girl, first of all her challenging behaviour was the biggest issue. The smearing, the destroying and putting herself in danger and me not being able to protect her was enough for me to beg for help. Once that settled down her anxiety became an issue. It was ok to start, but it escalated so we become prisoners in our own home, unable to go out without her having meltdowns. In the summer it was a nightmare, her fears of bugs were so bad, even in the house she could not tollerate a single flying bug, certain tv programs and films, and I was tired to be honest having to check things like the toilet several times before she would use it. So in answer to your question, I think whenever a certain behaviour starts affecting quality of life for the child and the family, medication should be discussed. I hope that helps and the best of luck to you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi After a trial of medication when J was seven I was seriously put off medication but over the years I have struggled with him in all areas and mostly in his impulsive behaviours that get him the most of trouble, he cant settle to games or his activities and he is severely struggling in school so for this reason J is starting another medication and going for it again because I have trouble now coping with him and his aggression is very upsetting, we are hoping that once we can reason with him and try and get the impulsive behaviour under control we can start again the anger management, at the moment there is no reasoning with him, I cant communicate effectivily so we are starting him on concerta xl to see if things can improve, I hate the idea of him been on medication but this situation is leading us to both a nervous breakdown, its all thats on offer at the moment too, our resources are very low though he is on the list for play therapy.

Could his presant medication need adjusting or another type be tried.

JsMum

hiya

i didnt really write my post down too well-

my son isnt on any medication but i buy the iq fish oil -had him taking this since he was 2.

so no we havnt ever tryed anything before -and its never been mentioned before -i presume they wait till you get to a stage where you feel it should be talked about.

i have the same trouble i cant communicate at all with my son when hes in a state -and it seems that every little thing sends him in a state -the visual board can only be used when hes not in this mode-

hes gone really whats the word ....fanatical about things -food being a big one at moment-hes lost an awfull lot of weight -for one thing hes gone really funny over his food and 2 no wonder it falls of him as hes burning it up with ranting and arguing ect....

it is effecting us-im getting a nervous wreck and my other son is suffering too......and our quality of life is not good really-

i am going on this thur so will see what happens.......

Hi RQ, I think the issue of medication should be raised when things are enough of an issue for anyone to consider it!! With my girl, first of all her challenging behaviour was the biggest issue. The smearing, the destroying and putting herself in danger and me not being able to protect her was enough for me to beg for help. Once that settled down her anxiety became an issue. It was ok to start, but it escalated so we become prisoners in our own home, unable to go out without her having meltdowns. In the summer it was a nightmare, her fears of bugs were so bad, even in the house she could not tollerate a single flying bug, certain tv programs and films, and I was tired to be honest having to check things like the toilet several times before she would use it. So in answer to your question, I think whenever a certain behaviour starts affecting quality of life for the child and the family, medication should be discussed. I hope that helps and the best of luck to you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

hiya darky -good to see you >:D<<'> >:D<

yes we are finding it very hard to go out of the house-its always been hard but my son no longer wants to try to go out at all much.

My lord when I look back yes her behaviour and anxiety has improved beyond recognition!! She is on Concerta for her Hyperactive and impulsive behaviour, which works really well, and she is on Citalopram for anxiety which has been life changing. She does still get anxious, but it's more like a normal reaction to a fear or phobia where she will still want to avoid, but she does not lash out hysterically. Saying that, she has been on this dose for about a year, and more anxiety has started to creep back, but still nothing like it was. I will say that we did trial other meds first, but they did not have the desired effect.

RQ, there are lots of people who are against meds, there are lots of people who are pro meds. In the end the decision has to come down to the parent. I see it like this, when the child's quality of life is impaired, and that of the family is to such an extreme that it is impossible or very difficult going out I think the meds option is worthy of discussion. In this country there is not enough external help with these issues, and any CBT (like we tried) can be very limited in it's sucess. I asked myself one question, "Does she enjoy being frightened to the extent of lashing out and being frightened of her own shadow?" I answered no, she does not. >:D<<'> Good luck at CAMHS with whatever decision you make >:D<<'>