sandyn

Glasses - any advice would be helpful

Hi, I don't post on here very often (sorry) but I do read posts. BUT I am having a few problems with my son R, who is 8, and I really don't know who to ask for help. I hope you understand and don't think what a cheeky mare.

For a few months his eyes have been twitching (he has adhd, hfa, dyspraxia), I thought it was ticks that is associated with medication (he is on Equasym), but his consultant didn't think so as he has been on meds for about 1 year. So, I took R to the opticians today, and I kinda guessed what she was going to say when he got the last line of then letters completely wrong... then with a lense got them all right.

He is slightly shortsighted and needs glasses for school and watching telly. He is absolutely devestated. He keeps saying glasses are for nerds (bless him - he is half way there anyway!! Maths and science genius!! I am only joking coz hubby is a mathematical genius too!!) We finally got a pair to suit him and are going to pick them up next week. He is adament he is not going to wear them and has said he is going to flush them down the loo (oh how many weird things have been flushed down there - I think my son thinks the loo is "the final resting place" for anything he doesn't like!!!).

We have tried to talk to him (both me and dh wear glasses) but he is still very anti. We have kind of come to a compromise - he wears them at home for a few weeks to get used to them and then he can wear them at school. He is ok at home but has said he is not wearing them at school and will throw them away. We have tried to tell him how trendy it is to wear glasses (so did his optician) and that Johnny Depp AKA the coolest dude on the world (according to R and , erm his mummy too!! LOL) wears glasses - still didn't cut it.

I know it is quite a big deal for any child - I can remember when I had to put my glasses on for the first time at school. I know it is only early days and he has to get used to change, but he is very stubbon and Im wondering if anyone has been thru the same thing or if anyone has any suggestions?

Many, many thanks

My son had to wear glasses at that age also.I,d definitely go with wearing them at home first.You may find that he actually enjoys wearing them because they make seeing clearly for him so much easier.My son did,nt like to wear his at school and after doing well at first refused to wear them.However he has just got a new pair from Ian Jordan and he wears these all the time, he,s 12 now and could,nt care;less what people at school think.Good luck with it hugs suzex

Hiya sandy

I've no advice really, just empathy, I can remember so well being devastated when I had to start wearing glasses aged 10, however it was a huge compensation to be able to see properly! During teen years I used to take them off but couldnt see friends across the road, then I got contacts & wore them for donkeys years til I lost my tolerance of them a few years back. Now wear a mix of disposable lenses & glasses, but STILL hate wearing them! Too much of a wuss to consider surgery.

Perhaps you could suggest him trying contacts as soon as he's old enough?

Hope he can realise the benefits once he starts wearing them >:D<<'>

There are a number of reasons for eye "ticks" - particularly in asd. Have you checked his thyroid and biochemical balance? Dystonia should also be ruled out.

The most likely cause is tiredness though.

Most kids will wear specs after a little while - but peer pressure can be critical. Get the teacher on side and explain to class the need to see well!

I've had the same thing with my son. He was supposed to start wearing glasses about three years ago but, apart from the very rare occassion, would refuse to wear them. Every time I've taken him to the optician I've been lectured on how important it is for him to wear the glasses which I know but I've just never found a way of forcing somebody to wear glasses if they don't want to. One time when I was asking him to wear them, he got hold of them and completely destroyed them.

Anyway, a few weeks ago my daughter was told she needed glasses which she was very happy about and wouldn't take them off once she'd got them. One night they were sat on the sofa together and I asked my son if he'd put his glasses on for a minute so I could see what they both looked like in them together, then I asked if I could take a photo so I could show him what he looked like in them. I showed him the photo afterwards and he said "I look like T*****" (a friend of his who wears glasses) and since then he's been happy to wear them :rolleyes:

So, maybe taking a photo of him once he's got his glasses may help so he can see that he doesn't look silly in them.

Good luck with getting him to wear them.