jamdaar0

need printable leaflets and info for work

my manager at work has requested soem information about aspergers

i was wonderign if anyone had some leaflets or information resources that would be ideal to give an employer, and that wouldnt put them off.

jam

my manager at work has requested soem information about aspergers

In what context? For/about yourself as an AS adult? For about an AS child? General info? It depends what you and they want out of it and what you hope to achieve by the sharing of information. Disclosure is a very personal matter and although there is some information available - i.e. the info sheets from the NAS - these can only be starting points. I think the best thing is to write your own information sheet so that it can be tailored to your specific circumstances rather than relying on stereotypes. Have a look in "Beyond Adolescence" - there has been some discussion there on this.

When my son started his apprenticeship his employers bought the book Aspergers & Employment. I also did my own guide, relating it specifically to JP, with his consent & input, & with those 2 things he got off to a very good start. They soon realised that not everything in the book was relevant to him but I thought it was encouraging they wanted to be well prepared.

yes im referring to post

problems at work

everythign im finding just doesnt fit, my manager just wants info about aspergers at work because they dont have a clue.

but I think your suggestion about writing my own information sheet is FANTASTIC, :notworthy: i would never have though of that and it makes sense.

it would allow me to add information and tailor it to my main concerns and problems.

thanks Mate! >:D<<'>

I think i will start to do that.

Jam

In what context? For/about yourself as an AS adult? For about an AS child? General info? It depends what you and they want out of it and what you hope to achieve by the sharing of information. Disclosure is a very personal matter and although there is some information available - i.e. the info sheets from the NAS - these can only be starting points. I think the best thing is to write your own information sheet so that it can be tailored to your specific circumstances rather than relying on stereotypes. Have a look in "Beyond Adolescence" - there has been some discussion there on this.

When I recently "came out" autistic to my manager, I wrote an information sheet about me in particular. I made sure it was no more than two sides of A4, because I felt they would not read it if it were more than that. I included only information relating to work (for example, it is not relevant to my employer that I have difficulty making friends or managing tasks like keeping my house clean).

I looked into including a leaflet about Asperger's. I have 2 leaflets from the NAS, one about autism in general, and another about AS. The AS leaflet was far more comprehensive, but the autism was more relevant to me. In the end I just included a short list of places to get further information, including the NAS website.

The NAS produce a leaflet called something like "the forgotten workforce," about AS/autism, specifically for employers. I haven't read it myself, but it might be useful to include it if you feel it's relevant.

The problem with your colleague does not sound AS-related to me. It's possible that some of the difficulty is caused by you, but if you have never had this kind of problem with a colleague before, then it must be something to do with him. If you had been rude to him, he should have reported that to someone, rather than just ignoring you. It's worth mentioning if you do not normally have this kind of problem, as your manager will see that it is not just because you have AS.