hev

independent travel

steven has been talking to his care person at school and they are suggesting that he would like to do independant travel to school,meaning him travelling by train from gravesend to hampshire and back on his own fridays and sundays :rolleyes:

i just cannot stand the idea,the thought of it makes me feel sick,steve is all for it but i believe he wont go back and then theres the danger element,what about if theres a 2 hour delay and hes just waiting,i dont drive so wont be able to get to him.

the school havent mentioned it to me yet but steves got all his hopes up,shall i mention it to school first?

Hi Hev

I would ring up the school and have a chat. Steve's very young for independant travel.

Ryan didn't start until the 6th form at the FE college.

I don't think the school would agree to it anyway.

I think it would be brilliant of he could do this, but I can understand your concerns. He has not been there long, and he probably needs to be a lot more settled before this could ever work. Maybe he could just try it for the journey home at first. Would the school be able to drive out and rescue him if there were problems during the journey?

It's possible they talked to him about it as a long-term goal. It could be used to motivate him to behave well, because this will only happen if he can show that he can be trusted.

Definitely mention your concerns to the school. I'm sure they would discuss it with you anyway before making such a big decision.

I think it was a bit unwise of them to talk to Steve about it before talking to you, & without knowing him, my instinct would be that he's a bit young & not settled enough yet. But in the long term it would be fab if he could do that.

When JP was 16 he had never been on public transport alone. But within a couple of terms of starting 6th form, he was getting the service bus home on the days he finished college early, but it was very carefully handled, the first time his ESW went to the bus stop with him then phoned home to make sure he'd landed.

These days he gets a train & a bus there & back to his college on his training day :notworthy:

So it can be done.

I agree with the concerns expressed. It sounds like a step too far just yet. L still hasn't managed independent travel (except by cab and on foot!) and she's nearly 19. We're working up to it.

It's a big step in independence and will need to be carefully planned, in my opinion.

K x

Everyone is different and only you know steve, and if he is ready for it. Is the journey direct or does he have to change trains? If it makes the journey shorter for him it might be a good thing, as kent to hampshire is a long way!! The other thing of course is can you trust him to stay on the train? I would chat to Steve and the school, and if you do let him try make it clear that if there is any trouble he will be right back to taking the taxi again. Nick went to London to meet his brother at Victoria and he was fine, he really liked the independance and was very good all weekend. Hope you work this one out, we can only advise, at the end of the day you know Steve best and l am sure you will make the right decision. It is hard to let go of our kids as they have their own set of problems to cope with, but im sure he will be ok given the chance. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Guest Lya of the Nox

i would not imagine they would just pop him on a traina nd say off ya go!

they would do it lots with him 1st

meggz is quite independant, and has got the "school bus" in and out for a few years now,( loads of peeps watching out for her tho) but can also do the regular bus as well now, but that took lots of practise.

the train is one i dont fancy her doing tho alone i have to say

but i do know where you coming from,

will come up and see you maybe next week??

x