krystaltps

Eye contact

Hi all, not been around much lately, have been busy, but thought I'd pop in and ask a question.

I was speaking to C's teacher today (he'd had a meltdown during golden-time and she was filling me in on the facts), and she said a really interesting thing about C's eye-contact. He stares at you intently when you are talking to him - it's so intense, it can make you want to look away.

This is so true, although I had never really put it into words before, because you are always asked about lack of eye-contact, and I always reply "Oh, C's fine in that respect". But I had never thought about it from the opposite perspective.

Does anyone else find this with their ASD kids?

Hi all, not been around much lately, have been busy, but thought I'd pop in and ask a question.

I was speaking to C's teacher today (he'd had a meltdown during golden-time and she was filling me in on the facts), and she said a really interesting thing about C's eye-contact. He stares at you intently when you are talking to him - it's so intense, it can make you want to look away.

This is so true, although I had never really put it into words before, because you are always asked about lack of eye-contact, and I always reply "Oh, C's fine in that respect". But I had never thought about it from the opposite perspective.

Does anyone else find this with their ASD kids?

Oh yes, B has that when he's either concentrating on something he really wants to know about, or when he's angry about someone or something. It can be very intense and hard to feel comfortable with. God help any girl that gets the look in a few years time, it's very hard to resist. He looks at me sometimes as if I'm the centre of the universe to him.

I do this all the time, because i dont know when to look away which can also appear that im listening well but just thinking about other things most times. I try to break eye contact like others do but then find myself wondering when i should start looking at them again

I notice my dds do the same thing

Edited by hedders

I do this all the time, because i dont know when to look away which can also appear that im listening well but just thinking about other things most times. I try to break eye contact like others do but then find myself wondering when i should start looking at them again

I notice my dds do the same thing

*nods* I posted something v similar on the other eye contact thread. Fine when I'm doing the talking, difficult if I have to listen for a long period.

My B does this too, although at times and others have said too that its as though he is just looking right through you,

Edited by Storm

I have trouble knowing how to get eye contact 'right', as well. I either glance fleetingly at people or, if I'm trying to show someone I'm listening to them, I tend to stare too much. As I'm listening, there's a little voice in my head shouting 'look away, look away, it's too much, they'll think you're weird!!', but it's as if I'm hypnotized and can't break contact. I end up worrying so much about the intensity of my prolongued eye contact that I can't remember what they've said anyway!! :whistle::wacko:

~ Mel ~

I have trouble knowing how to get eye contact 'right', as well. I either glance fleetingly at people or, if I'm trying to show someone I'm listening to them, I tend to stare too much. As I'm listening, there's a little voice in my head shouting 'look away, look away, it's too much, they'll think you're weird!!', but it's as if I'm hypnotized and can't break contact. I end up worrying so much about the intensity of my prolongued eye contact that I can't remember what they've said anyway!! :whistle::wacko:

~ Mel ~

Yea totally agree, with people i dont know that well its a complete reverse, find it frustrating and diffcult trying to make eye contact.

I did laugh with your thread im often thinking stop staring look away or ill count how may times they look away and watch where there eyes are glazing in the room dont know if anyone else does this but i also look deeply at there features e.g skin, lines, hair

i rarley listen to a word people say just nod at the right times unless its an interest then i take it very literally and could spend next few days thinking about it untill i processed it